4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

brakes...brakes...brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 11:19 AM

MY BRAKES SUCK.... ok i'll blaim it partly on my driving but they dont last for more then 25k-30k miles....which is basically every 2 or 3 months... tried semi-metallic, ceramic, all that doesnt help to much ... i dont know to many brake companies , i wanted to do research, so throw some names at me please...or if you have any ideas for upgrade: ATLEAST 2piston caliper, crossdrilled/vented rotor, will fit under 17" rims....

also... YES i know stillens probably the best way t ogo but give me more options please..please please =)
Old 08-07-2001, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by loudmaxima
MY BRAKES SUCK.... ok i'll blaim it partly on my driving but they dont last for more then 25k-30k miles....which is basically every 2 or 3 months... tried semi-metallic, ceramic, all that doesnt help to much ... i dont know to many brake companies , i wanted to do research, so throw some names at me please...or if you have any ideas for upgrade: ATLEAST 2piston caliper, crossdrilled/vented rotor, will fit under 17" rims....

also... YES i know stillens probably the best way t ogo but give me more options please..please please =)
You are asking for pads with more durable friction material. This might be a mistake.

In general, hard pads last a long time but they wears the rotors faster than soft pads. (Hard and Soft are relative terms, referring to the hardness of the friction material.)

I prefer soft pads. Soft pads wear out faster than hard pads. Soft pads are less expensive than hard pads. Pads of any hardness are less expensive than rotors and easier to replace.

I've had good results with name-brand brake parts such as Raybestos. YMMV.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:05 PM

You are asking for pads with more durable friction material. This might be a mistake.

In general, hard pads last a long time but they wears the rotors faster than soft pads. (Hard and Soft are relative terms, referring to the hardness of the friction material.)

I prefer soft pads. Soft pads wear out faster than hard pads. Soft pads are less expensive than hard pads. Pads of any hardness are less expensive than rotors and easier to replace.

I've had good results with name-brand brake parts such as Raybestos. YMMV.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:55 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

...but they dont last for more then 25k-30k miles....which is basically every 2 or 3 months...
Wow, you drive 10,000 miles a month? That's nuts!

I installed Porterfield pads a little over a month ago with stock sized, plain rotors. This combo works great. I don't know how long the pads will last, but stopping distance is greatly reduced.

If you want a big break upgrade but don't want to pay $tillen's price, check out fastbrakes.com

http://www.fastbrakes.com/pages/kits/maxima.htm

Found this in the group deal forum:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=52323

Good luck!