Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   HELP - My 1995 GLE won't start! (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/44409-help-my-1995-gle-wont-start.html)

BrianGT 08-13-2001 07:21 AM

After running some errands on Saturday, my Maxima will no longer start. I thought it might be the battery, but upon buying a new battery, we discovered that was not the case.

I've attempted to jump start from 3 different vehicles, all with no success.

The car won't even attempt to turnover. It makes one click when you turn the key and that's all. It's not a constant clicking noise as when a starter goes out.

All my lights, radio, A/C and remote locks still work.

Does anyone have a clue as to what my problem might be?

- Brian

Cutler 08-13-2001 07:27 AM

Originally posted by BrianGT
After running some errands on Saturday, my Maxima will no longer start. I thought it might be the battery, but upon buying a new battery, we discovered that was not the case.

The car won't even attempt to turnover. It makes one click when you turn the key and that's all. It's not a constant clicking noise as when a starter goes out.

- Brian

Starter is dead, replace it and problem solved.

Daniel B. Martin 08-13-2001 07:41 AM

Originally posted by BrianGT

- Brian

You are reporting a no-crank problem.

Always do the easy check first. If your vehicle is a 5-speed, make sure the clutch pedal is all the way down when you twist the key to START. If automatic, jiggle the shifter while attempting to crank. Try cranking in both Park and Neutral. If those steps are unsuccessful, consider ...

- discharged battery (dim headlights with engine off)
- weak battery (check voltage at terminals while cranking)
- loose or dirty battery terminal connections at the battery
- loose or dirty battery-to-body ground connection
- loose or dirty battery-to-engine block connection
- bad ignition switch
- bad clutch safety switch (5-speed)
- bad neutral safety switch (automatic)
- bad inhibitor relay
- bad solenoid
- bad starter

The starter is an expensive item so I would check the other items before spending the money on a replacement. Unfortunately, '95 Maximas are known for starter problems.

BrianGT 08-13-2001 07:46 AM

Just called a Nissan service center and they confirmed that my starter is indeed dead.

Thanks Cutlr7!

Originally posted by Cutlr7

Starter is dead, replace it and problem solved.

Sonic 08-13-2001 08:03 AM

Did you do any of the things DBMartin suggested, its VERY hard to diagnose a mechanical problem over the phone.

BrianGT 08-13-2001 08:49 AM

Just took it to my Nissan Dealer. They looked and said it is the starter.

I don't have time to work on it myself, so it's gonna cost me $385 to have it fixed, but I will have my car back this afternoon.

Once again, thanks for the help everyone.

Brian

Sonic 08-13-2001 09:07 AM

Expensive, but if it works, cool.