4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Uh, I'm new here and stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 08:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Uh, I'm new here and stuff...

Greetings freakers and tweakers. I just got my first Maxima after wanting one for a very long time. I picked up a very clean one owner 1996 SE pearl white w/ charcoal cloth, automatic, moonroof, with 72,500 mi. After 2 days with it I can tell I'm falling in love. A few questions/ concerns you posers, I mean posters might help me with. First, I have a clicking that seems to be coming from behind the instrument cluster. I'm thinking the speedo needs to be lubed? Next, the drivers window gets hung up about 3 in. from down when using the auto down feature. Finally, one of my stock 15in. sawtooth style wheels is scuffed up bad around the edge like the previous owner was a novice at parallel parking. Can this be buffed out somehow? Along with being scuffed the marks are black like the curb was asphalt or something. The other 3 wheels are near perfect. I would eventually like to replace all 4 with custom wheels but unfortunatey $ is an object. Anyone know how to stifle the rattles coming out of my dash vents? The two vents on each end of the dash rattle in stereo. I think I've given you guys enough to think about for now. It's great to finally be in the club!
Old 10-04-2001, 08:05 PM

you'll get more responses if you post in the General Max forum...

Nam
Old 10-04-2001, 08:23 PM

Re: Uh, I'm new here and stuff...

uhhh or something
Old 10-04-2001, 08:24 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

As for the dash clicking. It's not the speedo, all those instruments are electronic.

the window:
Nissan attatches pieces of styrofoam to the door skin for sound insulation. What has probably happened is, one of these pieces of foam has fallen off and is blocking the window. Just take off your door panel and take out the foam.

Welcome...
Old 10-04-2001, 08:43 PM

posers
Old 10-04-2001, 09:11 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

uh, welcome to the fourm and stuff...
Old 10-04-2001, 09:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Welcome. As for the wheels, they cannot be fixed, well the can, but it wouldn't be worth the $. You can find cheap OEM rims on Ebay or on the parts section of the Forum. You can post what your looking for. You have the stock 96 SE rims. Good luck.

Erik
tifosiv122@hotmail.com
Old 10-04-2001, 11:22 PM

are you talking about the auto down using the Keychain?
Old 10-04-2001, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Johnnybird
Greetings freakers and tweakers. I just got my first Maxima after wanting one for a very long time. I picked up a very clean one owner 1996 SE pearl white w/ charcoal cloth, automatic, moonroof, with 72,500 mi. After 2 days with it I can tell I'm falling in love. A few questions/ concerns you posers, I mean posters might help me with. First, I have a clicking that seems to be coming from behind the instrument cluster. I'm thinking the speedo needs to be lubed? Next, the drivers window gets hung up about 3 in. from down when using the auto down feature. Finally, one of my stock 15in. sawtooth style wheels is scuffed up bad around the edge like the previous owner was a novice at parallel parking. Can this be buffed out somehow? Along with being scuffed the marks are black like the curb was asphalt or something. The other 3 wheels are near perfect. I would eventually like to replace all 4 with custom wheels but unfortunatey $ is an object. Anyone know how to stifle the rattles coming out of my dash vents? The two vents on each end of the dash rattle in stereo. I think I've given you guys enough to think about for now. It's great to finally be in the club!
Your attitude insures prompt and kind replies

Kirk
Old 10-05-2001, 12:20 AM

People here are very mean. They will throw sticks and stones and even steal your lunch money.... Be warned!!

Nah just joking, Welcome to the family of Maxima Enthusists!!
Old 10-05-2001, 06:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad everyone has a good sense of humor. I'm pretty sure my speedo is analog and not digital. I can see the numbers roll over (unfortunately). If not the speedo does anyone know what the cliking might be? It's intermittant but only happens when the car is moving. Also, I didn't know you could could auto down from the key fob, but it sounds like a piece of styrofoam in the way might be the ticket there. I will address that when I replace the door speakers. I guess I'll be living with the noisy dash vents. Its a very tight car in general for a '96. Anyone know what year they had the 5 spoke OEM wheels? Thanks again!
Old 10-05-2001, 07:48 AM
Maxima Princess

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad everyone has a good sense of humor. I'm pretty sure my speedo is analog and not digital. I can see the numbers roll over (unfortunately). If not the speedo does anyone know what the cliking might be? It's intermittant but only happens when the car is moving. Also, I didn't know you could could auto down from the key fob, but it sounds like a piece of styrofoam in the way might be the ticket there. I will address that when I replace the door speakers. I guess I'll be living with the noisy dash vents. Its a very tight car in general for a '96. Anyone know what year they had the 5 spoke OEM wheels? Thanks again!
Yes you can use the key fob to roll down the 2 front windowns...just hold the unlock button down until they roll down. As for the 5 spokes they are the 97-99 SE rims. Not sure if they make them on the 00's and the 01 AE have the 6 spokes (i think). Sorry I have no idea about your clicking noise.
Old 10-06-2001, 10:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

FIve spoke alloy rims OEM were from years '97-99, The '00-'01 also had five spoke alloy rims on the Se model without the Convenince package, also on there GLE models. They can fit a 4th Generation Maxima, however they are 7inch wide, Stock 4th Generation's Are 6 1/2inches wide. And if you just wanna purchase a new Rim, you could purchase a Stock 15in rim like the one you have for $149.50 per rim, they also have a great deals on the five spoke SE rims. check out AAARIMS.COM
Old 10-06-2001, 11:00 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Wheel/wheels can be re-finished. There are shops that will sandblast them or you can sand them down yourself, then they can be re-painted or polished. I can't help you on any of the other questions. BTW, welcome the the maxima community!
Old 10-06-2001, 11:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member and Maxima.org Sponsor

This guy fits right in

Smartass
Anyway, welcome aboard, and everyone has already answered your ????s so I just wanted to say hello