Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Anyone gutted out thier cat (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/51751-anyone-gutted-out-thier-cat.html)

Craig K. Balgobin 10-05-2001 09:29 AM

Anyone gutted out thier cat

Has anyone removed and gutted out thier cat. Is there a noticeable performance difference in torque or hp. What about any cons of doing this. Do our engines need that backpressure?

Sonic 10-05-2001 09:31 AM

Get a straightpipe or test pipe instead.

Daniel B. Martin 10-05-2001 11:11 AM

Re: Anyone gutted out thier cat

Originally posted by Craig K. Balgobin
Has anyone removed and gutted out thier cat. Is there a noticeable performance difference in torque or hp. What about any cons of doing this. Do our engines need that backpressure?
Don't do this. It is illegal. It is bad for the environment. It will gain you little improvement.

Ants97SE 10-05-2001 12:24 PM

Daniel B. keeps us Maxima owners in check. :D

SuDZ 10-05-2001 01:44 PM

Also it can make inspection that much harder to pass when it comes to emmisions.

SuDZ

Sonic 10-05-2001 04:40 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ
Also it can make inspection that much harder to pass when it comes to emmisions.

SuDZ

You mean impossible. The cat is an air scrubber/cleaner, without it, the NOx and CO reading will be VERY high.

Nismo 10-06-2001 12:18 AM

just got dont gutting my friends crx cat. it took about an hour and was a B**** because its welded onto the pipes.

ru4real 10-06-2001 06:40 AM

Re: Re: Anyone gutted out thier cat

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Don't do this. It is illegal. It is bad for the environment. It will gain you little improvement.
I think it makes you slower. dmbmaxima88 discovered that :D

NZ Max 10-07-2001 01:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Anyone gutted out thier cat

Originally posted by ru4real

I think it makes you slower. dmbmaxima88 discovered that :D

I did this to my second max. We dont have any emmisions laws in New Zealand since were a clean and green country. It didn't do a thing. No change in exhaust, no power increase. It was a waste of time really

NYCe MaXiMa 10-07-2001 01:23 PM

Gutting the cat might provide more exhaust flow, but it will probably be achieved only if you have the full exhaust. If you want more flow, just get a high flow cat converter which still fills emission requirements and is street legal. Such as a carsound cat or a Random Tech cat...

sx7r 10-07-2001 03:38 PM

i would never do anything like that. using nitrous doesn't create any backpressure at all so running a full exhaust is pointless. the best thing to do is add two more cats. :D hug a tree and have a nice day.

mtrai760 10-07-2001 05:19 PM

Originally posted by sx7r
i would never do anything like that. using nitrous doesn't create any backpressure at all so running a full exhaust is pointless. the best thing to do is add two more cats. :D hug a tree and have a nice day.
:laugh:
I found 3 cat's to be the magic number for adding power!
:laugh:

syc 10-07-2001 06:48 PM

Read this month's Sports Compact Car mag, on p.188. "To cat or not to cat". It basically says that gutted car reduce the performance because it cause flow stagnation and reduce flow velocity on a mordern cat.

darksands 01-22-2002 01:16 AM

I put in a straight pipe.

It does do a little cause it's a V-6 but it does polute the air and make noise. It is also illegal. Im lucky that i havent been busted yet cause I got dark tinted windows too. If you want to pass smog, your gonna have to remove the pipe and put the cat back in. It is a little faster but I dont know if you would pay for it. I got it done for free cause a friend works at a muffler shop. Good luck to you. Hope this helped.

carnal_c30 01-22-2002 02:17 AM

Re: I put in a straight pipe.

damn that is an old *** question... :D

if anyone cares, get an aftermarket cat, Warpspeed just came out with theirs... already heard good reviews from SoCal Maximas

MrGone 06-19-2002 12:35 AM

when working on my friends 280z, his cat jack (who we renamed nismo) always climbs into my car and sleeps in the middle of the back seat in the sun. ive almost taken him home a few times, a new present for the pug and lab.
anyway, he did this to his '93 f350 with a 351cu in V8. you can smell the fumes alot more, well only when on that side, but it did make a lower rumble (still stock) and it free'd up more ponies.
now its running the 351W - E4OD - 4:56 gears - Posi front/rear - borg warner t case - advanced timing and he did have edelbrock headers on the way and was planning a homemade K&N CAI but other projects got in the way.
all in all, its a pretty nice truck, dont have to rely on the engine to intimate people like i do in the max. of course with both of us on the road, you have a max that trys to 4wheel and a 1ton truck with 33's trying to drive like the maxima.
funny funny ****, you guys would laugh your asses off if you saw how we team up. its like smokey and the bandit, but im bandit and hes the truck driver.
blah, time for bed, last day of school tommarrow, im gonna go insane. I love my max.
sorry for being semi(haha) off topic
MrGone

nad819 09-29-2005 09:09 PM

I'm catless :-p When emissions testing rolls around in 2 years.... ummm, well in the mean time it's nice

easter9053 09-30-2005 05:39 AM

I would like to add the Y-pipes to my 95' 5spd Max. I read this is what I should do if I want about 10 to 15 extra ponies. What is the difference between gutting the cats out or running the straight Y-pipes? Please help someone.

ru4real 09-30-2005 06:01 AM

Nice resurrection, newb.

sean05 09-30-2005 06:56 AM

damn talk about bringing up the dead!! geez this is from 02'!

RockfordMax 09-30-2005 02:09 PM

haha i didnt even realize that until you said it.... 1 post, so fun

96blackmaxSE 09-30-2005 03:03 PM

i have a test pipe instead of a cat...i smell my raw exhaust smell more both outside my car and inside my car if im idleing a long time...its sounds deeper in tone and feels like it flows better...havent thrown an o2 code (yet) i dont even have it plugged in

anyway i have a y pipe and a crimped, stock, rusted b bipe and magna flow muff

Wills98MaxSE 09-30-2005 03:34 PM

wow let's see who can dig up the oldest thread (note the sarcasm)

2 much free time :funny:

lilaclucymaxima 09-30-2005 03:55 PM

Lately waaay too many people are bringing up dead pointless threads from 10892347 years ago. It's getting a little ridiculous.

lilaclucymaxima 09-30-2005 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by easter9053
I would like to add the Y-pipes to my 95' 5spd Max. I read this is what I should do if I want about 10 to 15 extra ponies. What is the difference between gutting the cats out or running the straight Y-pipes? Please help someone.

Wooooow. :goofy:

99SEL4ME 09-30-2005 04:00 PM

Yeah, my cat died a year ago. I just buried it in my backyard. :hide:

lilaclucymaxima 09-30-2005 04:01 PM

Hahaha :chuckle:

Weimar Ben 09-30-2005 07:31 PM

I'm not an environmentalist wacko, but I do believe that we should reduce pollution where feasible and cost-effective. Modern cats don't cost you much power like the ones on the 70's did.

Gutting a cat will COST you HP because it will create turbulence and stagnation in the exhaust flow. A straight pipe will add maybe 3whp. Definately not worth it for the extra pollution it causes. The stock cat is pretty free-flowing as it is. If you want to squeeze every ounce of HP out of the engine, get a good aftermarket street legal cat.

Bottom line, don't be a selfish SOB and gut your cat or put in a straight pipe!!

Weimar Ben 09-30-2005 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by easter9053

NO, an aftermarket y-pipe removes the pre-cats which only affect emmissions when the engine is cold. This thread is referring to gutting the main cat or replacing the main cat with a straight pipe.