4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just ordered some Nex SS coilovers...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Beast Mode!!!

Just ordered some Nex SS coilovers...

Should be here in about 10 days (they're coming from Cali, I'm in NYC)...

They got good reviews on NYCMaximas.org... and they are a twin-tube design (unlike K-Sports/D2s, more like regular shocks/Tokicos/Konis). 8k/6k, shock body moves w/o affecting spring travel, etc. They get good reviews on other sites for other cars as well. I've been mulling over a suspension setup... GC/Konis are the ****, but too much work and bank. And basically all drop springs just don't have enough travel, especially for some of these NYC streets. K-sports blow (from what I keep hearing), Teins lose travel when you lower them, etc... I wanted to push the button on these for a while, but I hadn't heard anything about them for Maximas.

First major mod on the Max... next up will prob. be a custom equal length Y-pipe. I'll def. do a review when I get them on, I have to do my axles so I'll change everything in one strike.

http://www.1goldenapple.com/brand_other.php?id=coilover

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEX-C...spagenameZWDVW

Last edited by skuccio's max; 11-10-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:00 PM

wow those look nice, let me know how you like them once you get them and they are installed.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Boosted Panda

Any update?

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 11-16-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Any update?
I doubt he's even received them yet. 4 more days until they arrive.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Former Vendor

those are made by the same company as maxspeed springs (which i like) so they might be a good budget alternative. interested to see how these work out. warranty is decent.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
those are made by the same company as maxspeed springs (which i like) so they might be a good budget alternative. interested to see how these work out. warranty is decent.
Any way you could become a retailer if they turn out to be ok?????????
Im ready for a new suspension setup, and would like Tein basics but a bit out of my price range right now.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Former Vendor

i had already considered setting up and account with them because i feel the maxspeed springs are the best budget spring available. this might be enough to push it over the edge if they turn out to be quality. i'm gonna check out what nycmaximas has to say about them.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Upper Midwest Wheel Whore

I sure hope Maxspeeds have improved their Quality Assurance. Most people with Maxspeeds don't have a consistent drop. It is far more noticeable with the 5th gen guys. Some are slammed, others aren't even the 1.5" lower, and others are in between. Go figure
Old 11-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Beast Mode!!!

They're here, I gotta go to Fed Ex tomorrow and pick them up. Gotta wait till Sunday to put them on though
Old 11-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Sold

that link your provided was for '00-03.
wierd
Old 11-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

interesting...
Jae
Old 11-16-2007, 09:53 PM

but if you search through their ebay listing they have 95-99 coilovers listed as well and also on their website if the auction listing ended.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Boosted Panda

If theres a better product Im all in. by better I mean better then my AGX and Sprints which should be an easy setup to beat. My setup is an ol skool setup and isnt the nicest howver it was low at that time but the agx ride harsh,... and then again Im on Sprints
Old 11-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by JSMax
that link your provided was for '00-03.
wierd
The link was, and made it confusing but there site states they make two styles and the SS Series is avaliable for the 4th gen.
Would like to see how they arrived. If they looked as nice as the website pics display since the set in this threadd are the first set Ive heard about.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:04 PM

The link was, and made it confusing but there site states they make two styles and the SS Series is avaliable for the 4th gen.
Would like to see how they arrived. If they looked as nice as the website pics display since the set in this threadd are the first set Ive heard about.
I'd like to know the exact same thing, they look amazing on the site...
Old 11-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Blackmax1924
I'd like to know the exact same thing, they look amazing on the site...
exactly, they make them out to be a nice setup,. im not saying there a bad a$$ coilover setup. but they should be better then a strut/spring or GC setup.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:12 PM

exactly, they make them out to be a nice setup,. im not saying there a bad a$$ coilover setup. but they should be better then a strut/spring or GC setup.
yea, I know what you mean, we'll hopefully find out on sunday...if everything goes to plan
Old 11-17-2007, 09:33 AM
Beast Mode!!!

I got them today...

They look and feel like high quality pieces. They came with directions and everything. Also, very easy to adjust. I'm hoping to get them put on today, but if not I will definitely get them on tomorrow.

BK has the worst streets so I'll def. get an accurate assessment of the ride quality on them on the way home. I'll keep you guys posted
Old 11-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by skuccio's max
I got them today...

They look and feel like high quality pieces. They came with directions and everything. Also, very easy to adjust. I'm hoping to get them put on today, but if not I will definitely get them on tomorrow.

BK has the worst streets so I'll def. get an accurate assessment of the ride quality on them on the way home. I'll keep you guys posted
Awesome, snap pics of them before there installed please
Old 11-17-2007, 06:09 PM

Awesome, snap pics of them before there installed please
would love to see pictures of them before installation!
Old 11-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Beast Mode!!!

First off shout outs to TJ_Maxx for basically doing the whole install in the rain, taking time to do the adjustments etc.... though I'm prob. gonna go back soon to raise the rear.

Anyways,

All in all I am satisfied with these coilovers. I guess I'll touch on each of the important aspects of them...

INSTALLATION: If you've done suspension work you should know the deal. As far as how these compare to installing regular shocks, etc., I would say the only super difficult part is getting the front shocks on the knuckle for the first time. I would recommend greasing that bracket up, or even prying the arms apart a little bit. Beyond that it was a straight shoot.

Lowering/raising is the same as other coilovers I assume; though a cool feature these came with is the ability to adjust camber. They do this by giving you room on the top knuckle bolt to tilt the shock back and forward. Unfortunately, the shop I went to get the alignment done at didn't use this, so I think I have the regular positive camber that comes with Maximas...

HANDLING: I haven't pushed these fully yet, as I'm still relearning the limits of the car, etc. But it's much better than stock, obviously in doubling the spring rates, lowering the CoG and damping accordingly. I ran through a familiar loop with speed, and was impressed with the response and confidence the coilovers inspired. My only gripe is that the chassis seems a little flimsy....

RIDE: The biggie... obviously not as comfy as stock, though in retrospect stock wasn't that comfy to begin with. A little crashier over the big bumps, and not good enough at damping little bumps and oscillations in the road. You will definitely feel the road more, lol. But I live in BK and took this on some of the average roads here (Rockaway Av, Linden Blvd etc.) and it was fine. They could definitely fine tune some aspects of it... I think the shocks need to be a little stronger; but it's about as good as my old Accord was on Neuspeed/Konis, or even better as the springs are stiffer, so I don't crash w/the front end on the ground on big bumps...

OVERALL, for the money, not a bad setup if it holds up as is. The shocks and springs are pretty well matched for ride quality, and the install is pretty good, as it comes properly preloaded and everything. The main thing will be seeing how well the shocks hold up over time. We set it to about 14" from the center of the wheel all around, though the more I look at it it looks boatish. I think the back has to come up about 1/2-3/4 inches.

Anyways, here are some pics...

Old 11-18-2007, 05:13 PM

Wow. Nice assessment and you're daring. Maybe theyll hold up better than Ksports...argh!
Old 11-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Sold

so what drop are you running right now in those pictures? Looks to be about 1.8-2.0".
The rear looks to be a little lower than the front...
Old 11-18-2007, 06:17 PM
Beast Mode!!!

Originally Posted by JSMax
so what drop are you running right now in those pictures? Looks to be about 1.8-2.0".
The rear looks to be a little lower than the front...
Yea I would say about that. It is definitely lower in the back, which I'm not happy about... gonna prob. drop the front to match, maybe go a little lower all around...
Old 11-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Very cool. what's the warranty?
Dr J
Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 PM

Looks great and you picked it up for a little under 700 right? How much lower do you think they can go safely?

Great write up, thanks for being a guinea pig!
Old 11-18-2007, 08:55 PM

not bad, and yeah your rear needs to come up a bit.

OVerall amazing.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:11 AM
Sold

when dropping past 2.0" you might run into problems with the cv boots. I read on here that someone with ~3.0" on ksports was changing their axles every couple months.
I'm running h&r (1.4) and haven't had any axle problems yet.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:50 AM
Beast Mode!!!

Alright... first drive to work, from BK, through Manhattan to the BX...

Bumps are definitely more pronounced, but it's nothing insane. Should be interesting to see how it responds to today's snowfall

The front and back are definitely even; the difference lies in the camber... you know how the wheels are set further in in the rear; in the front the tires are leaning outward (positive camber)... so to make it look even, I would either need spacers in the back, or, what I'm gonna do most likely, give the front some negative camber.

Though, we have a big speed bump in the lot at work, and since I can clear it, I might go a little lower in front for the hell of it.

This could go down another 3" and not affect ride quality. To lower these you don't have to touch the springs or preload like the Teins, the whole body of the shock moves up and down.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:56 AM

Looks like a good deal. I live in Ny, so I am curious about the reliability. My friend's Ksports just blew and the guy drives like grandma.... Can't wait to see how they stand up after a couple months..

Last edited by nwell2k3; 11-19-2007 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:35 AM

hell ya so how much did they run you all together (installation, shipping, whatever)???
Old 11-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Boosted Panda

Too bad you didnt have a previous setup to compare it to. Comparing these to stock isnt fair, however Im sure they cant be harsher then my Sprint/AGX setup. I guess now we need to wait and see how they hold up.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:53 AM
Beast Mode!!!

Originally Posted by jvckustumz
hell ya so how much did they run you all together (installation, shipping, whatever)???
The coilovers themselves were about $700.

I got a local dude to put them on and adjust them for $150.

Then I got an alignment done for $99. I also replaced both front axles as they were shot, for like $400. So all in all about $1350.

But they didn't fix the camber in front... doesn't seem like they know how to. So I have to either adjust it myself and take it back, or chew up the outside of my tires... gotta see how to solve that.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Former Vendor

the threaded body is a nice feature that should keep handling decent at low drops and promote damper life. waiting to see how they hold up...
Old 11-19-2007, 07:51 AM

Haha, maxima985spd is [in]famous for running his insane Ksport drop....and swapping out axles.

Wheel spacers in the back will fix the weird look. Ive noticed that my rear looks lower, but its actually not(ground to wheel well measurement).
Old 11-19-2007, 09:43 AM

Look for someone who does race setups on suspension, likely he only needs some tools and a tape measure to adjust it, a guy here in MN let's me test drive it then will adjust it once more at no charge.

What condition are your BJ's, bushings (urethane or rubber) end links, shock mounts/ isolators, that will affect how shock travels through your car more than anything. Looks like a well engineered unit for $700, can't wait to try it myself.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
Haha, maxima985spd is [in]famous for running his insane Ksport drop....and swapping out axles.

Wheel spacers in the back will fix the weird look. Ive noticed that my rear looks lower, but its actually not(ground to wheel well measurement).
Which is ridiculous. Why would you sacrifice your cars ride and performance and continously toss money away on axles just for a prefered look.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Beast Mode!!!

Originally Posted by Peebs187
Look for someone who does race setups on suspension, likely he only needs some tools and a tape measure to adjust it, a guy here in MN let's me test drive it then will adjust it once more at no charge.

What condition are your BJ's, bushings (urethane or rubber) end links, shock mounts/ isolators, that will affect how shock travels through your car more than anything. Looks like a well engineered unit for $700, can't wait to try it myself.
Yea I think I'm gonna do that, even if it costs more than a regular alignment. Hopefully they will only charge me half price, since we can't adjust the back (though I may change the height, the left side is lower than the right).

And I JUST GOT new axles, so we will see how those hold up too.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Your mention of snowfall in one of your earlier posts - are you concerned at all about how your setup will live up to corrosion? I only ask b/c a shop out in my area (Chicago) area advised against coilovers for year-round use for this specific reason.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Beast Mode!!!

Yea I'm thinkin about covering the sleeves with duct tape or something cause I know the salt will be crazy here.

Quick Reply: Just ordered some Nex SS coilovers...