4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Powerstop rotors? Quality specific question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:39 PM

Powerstop rotors? Quality specific question.

Im looking for some new rotors to go in, and I am debating between Powerstop slotted rotors($40 rear, $55 front) and Brembo Blanks($38 Fronts and $36 rears). I would prefer the look of slotted, that is the only reason I am considering them. The pads are old, but I am waiting until they wear to replace, so pad life isnt a concern. My issue, is what about Powerstop quality? Are they going to warp or anything under normal/spirited driving? How are they in stopping power? Any input?

We will be rebuilding the calipers, and replacing rotos. Hawk HPS and SS lines come in a few months.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:12 PM

Why do you need such stoping power for street driving ? overkill
Old 01-11-2008, 11:07 PM
blah

I put on some random crap I bought from autozone. I paid like $80 for front rotors, pads, grease, and a clamp. I think it was blendix pads or something and the cheapest rotors they had. It works great and I've had them for over a year. The pads even come with a free replacement.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by andrei3333
Why do you need such stoping power for street driving ? overkill
Point proven, however I do plan on auto-xing later this year, when I get the hawks, my ksports fixed, etc etc. I just figured since I am replacing something now, I might as well get stuff that will perform.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was doing some reading the Advanced braking section and the blanks and slotted rotors have very little difference on street driving. You can check with irish44J (sp?). The only major difference is when you really want to put the car though its paces and i mean really pushing it, the slotted disipate heat a little better and they stop a little better but brembo blanks with hawks will be more than enough. believe i have that set up. Due for a change though.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
The pads are old, but I am waiting until they wear to replace, .
Don't put new rotors on old pads, you really should bed in a new set of pads to your new rotors for optimal braking performance. If you use your old pads, the initial ware on the rotor may lead to squealing brakes once you change the pads. Spend the few extra $$ and do it correctly the first time around, you will get better performance and longer life from your brakes.

My .02
Old 01-12-2008, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by maxima92se
I was doing some reading the Advanced braking section and the blanks and slotted rotors have very little difference on street driving. You can check with irish44J (sp?). The only major difference is when you really want to put the car though its paces and i mean really pushing it, the slotted disipate heat a little better and they stop a little better but brembo blanks with hawks will be more than enough. believe i have that set up. Due for a change though.

^ good point, i think the same applied to cross drilled rotors, no ?

Basically on regular streets, considering the speed limits and the amount that the breaks heat up, you will not gain/notice from more expensive slotted or xdrilled rotors. they are for the track or whatever . so

if your max is a daily driver and you just want the "look" i think its money wasted on appearance rather on performance, its your money, if you can afford it, by all means, it will look better with those upgraded rotors definitely.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:46 AM

rotors do not affect stopping power. the only difference will be in the longevity of the rotors. blanks are better than drilled/slotted for stopping as they provide more surface area (depending on how gaseous the pads you use are). most pads today dont give off gas when they get hot so drilled are more for looks. if you want performance, get some good pads, brembo blanks, and some dot 5.1 fluid to prevent boiling.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:05 AM

Ok, thanks for the input guys however, I am specifically looking for input on the quality of Powerstop products, not whether I should go slotted or not. I read the stickies and threads and know what Im talking about, hence the reason in my first post I said "I would prefer the look of slotted, that is the only reason I am considering them". Not drying to be a d*ck or anything, I appreciate the assistance and effort, but its not really helping me decide if Powerstop has decent quality. And I already said that I will be auto-xing in a few months, so it will be put under more stress...

njmaxseltd, thank you for that, I never thought about it that way, guess I never read/heard it before. Definitely will buy new HPS when I get the rotors.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:51 PM

powerstops will offer the same durability as brembos, so let price and warranty help you to decide.

if you are autocrossing, consider some ceramics.

again, make sure you upgrade your brake fluid to 4 or 5.1
Old 01-12-2008, 01:10 PM

I'm running PowerStop slotted rotors on my Z with Hawk HP+ pads. I have a few track days and some street time on them, so far no issues. I've had the Hawk pads smoke'n hot on them and no warping issues.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:15 PM

I have had powerslots and hawks on my car for about 80,000 miles and have had zero problems. They stopped way better than my stockers and have performed well in every situation I have had them in.(no auto cross just Mt roads and such) I highly recommend them