4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Uninstall Bose unit...where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:45 PM

Uninstall Bose unit...where to start?

I've read the sticky's including madchef's HU repair but I haven't seen the steps to actually take out the center dash console. On these cars they have 4 compartments. Starting from top...AC vents, clock, AC controls, then head unit. I've tried plying between the cracks of the edges but couldn't get anything to budge w/o feeling like it was gonna break and I'm DAMN sure not trying to F anything up. Problem is my CD won't eject...maybe eject button is F'd up so I'm gonna take it apart and see if something got loose. I know there's got to be clips and maybe some screws that connect all this stuff so anyone with links of the uninstall or pics of DIY or just words of common knowledge will do fine. I'm assuming everything must come out to get to unit right??? Thanks for the response!
Old 03-11-2008, 02:56 PM

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/647021.pdf

Follow that. It's a serious PITA the first time. Just work at it for a while and it'll eventually come out.

Also, I know it says thats it not for the Bose HU, but its basically the same.

Last edited by HobHayward; 03-11-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the link! Better than the other ones I've seen. Yeah, I knew it was going to be a real PITA, lol, and the pics verify that.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:13 PM

it is very simple. pull the vents striaght out towards you. unplug and put aside. remove shifter trim by pulling straight up. unplug cig lighter and put aside. open ash tray. unscrew phillips screw directly to the left of the ash tray. remove ash tray. (it has to be open in order to come out). reomve 4 phillips screw (2 top and 2 bottom) on the 4 corners of the bracket. unplug everything and you are done. unscrew the 8 head unit screws (4 on either side). installation is reverse of removal.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
it is very simple. pull the vents striaght out towards you. unplug and put aside. remove shifter trim by pulling straight up. unplug cig lighter and put aside. open ash tray. unscrew phillips screw directly to the left of the ash tray. remove ash tray. (it has to be open in order to come out). reomve 4 phillips screw (2 top and 2 bottom) on the 4 corners of the bracket. unplug everything and you are done. unscrew the 8 head unit screws (4 on either side). installation is reverse of removal.
If only it were as easy as you make it sound :P The vents do not simply pull out. Nor in fact, do any of the other parts.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:07 PM

everything pulls out easily for me.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:38 PM

beware of the clips on the last foldout looking tray/cig lighter.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
i never knew that, i always have problems when trying to remove the ash tray. now i know better.

in my 96 it was very easy to remove all the parts, but i found out that it was only because i had broken most of the tabs when i first tried pulling them out. lol
Old 03-11-2008, 06:23 PM

the pieces with tabs, I usually just use a large flathead with a towel around it so you dont break nothing, works for me.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:10 PM

so in other words...watch your a** when removing everything...Yeah I pretty much figured. To bad I don't have a car that I don't give a chit about or else I'd just break all the tabs and duct tape that chit back together, lol.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:35 PM

So I spent about an hour CAREFULLY removing ALL of the center dash console to remove the Bose unit...just to find out that the screws holding the unit in the metal frame must've been installed with an impact wrench meaning-FAWKING STUCK in there like concrete...I removed 2 and after almost stripping the 3rd gave up. The screw bit I had fit in perfect...guess I'll just have to wait for a pro to do it
Old 03-12-2008, 02:45 PM

Stubby phillips. and push it as hard as you can with both hands. It will break free. You can even tighten a little to break the seal.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:18 PM

Yeah, they will come out with enough torque, try some liquid wrench in the mean time, that might help.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by gatorsteeler
I've read the sticky's including madchef's HU repair but I haven't seen the steps to actually take out the center dash console. On these cars they have 4 compartments. Starting from top...AC vents, clock, AC controls, then head unit. I've tried plying between the cracks of the edges but couldn't get anything to budge w/o feeling like it was gonna break and I'm DAMN sure not trying to F anything up. Problem is my CD won't eject...maybe eject button is F'd up so I'm gonna take it apart and see if something got loose. I know there's got to be clips and maybe some screws that connect all this stuff so anyone with links of the uninstall or pics of DIY or just words of common knowledge will do fine. I'm assuming everything must come out to get to unit right??? Thanks for the response!
On my site I linked to:
http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNisMax2.htm

but that pdf looks good too
Old 03-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wheres the best place to get a new shifter cover, i broke the cigarette lighter part when i was pulling it out to replace the stereo.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by ressa3722
wheres the best place to get a new shifter cover, i broke the cigarette lighter part when i was pulling it out to replace the stereo.
junkyard, ebay, or post up a "WTB" thread on this site
Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by nissandrvr
i never knew that, i always have problems when trying to remove the ash tray. now i know better.

in my 96 it was very easy to remove all the parts, but i found out that it was only because i had broken most of the tabs when i first tried pulling them out. lol

hahaha, I'm not the only one! But no, seriously, sometimes it still doesn't want to come out, I've found closing it than re-opening will do the trick.