4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension drop question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:08 AM

Suspension drop question

Has anyone ever tried KYB (GR2) struts with Ksport 2" lowering springs? I'm sure many will say go with Tokico or coil overs. However, I can't spend that much on coil overs, even if they are available for only 800. I'm planning on buying a 00vi bolt on setup and get a decent suspension drop as well. My main concern is if I lower my ride with KYB GR2 will the struts blow on me quickly if I were to use Ksport lowering springs. Please no offense, but do not include guess work, I am asking of those who have knowledge from previous experience or stories of this setup.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Former Vendor

i'm not sure that you're going to get to much input on k-sport drop springs. i do not think they are very popular. however i have run gr2s w/ maxspeed springs (~1.5" drop) with no problems.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Ksports have no travel so no matter what strut you go with the ride is going to suffer. Stick with a drop around 1.5". The gr-2s will be fine with progress, maxspeed, canuck motorsports, or tokico springs, all of which are on the cheaper side.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the input, however, how about Tein S. Tech drop springs? Are they similar to ksports. When you save the ksport has no travel, do you mean it is very stiff and hit hard over bumps?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:27 PM

Heard too many people complain about tein S's that theyre too low and have switched. I wouldn't go over 1.5" either
Old 03-24-2008, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by GStrength
Thanks for the input, however, how about Tein S. Tech drop springs? Are they similar to ksports. When you save the ksport has no travel, do you mean it is very stiff and hit hard over bumps?
Includes scraping and bottoming out. I think it goes the same with the Tein S-Techs.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:07 AM

s-techs here... yet to bottom out... (tho i use KYB AGX's for struts)
Old 03-24-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The strut has no piston travel, its always bottomed out. Stechs are just a crappy. The only way to drop a Max correctly is with shortened Koni's.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:38 PM

I have Ksport springs with KYB GR-2s. I have NO complaints. the ride is as soft as stock(with bumps) but the car handles well enough for me and is responsive. I dont plan to Auto-x so i dont need Ferrari handling. my tires are a set of 205/60/16 and 215/55/15 for the time being and no bottom out problems
Old 03-24-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Once you ride in a properly set up maxima you will understand.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:47 PM

^^^^ i yet to do this.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
Once you ride in a properly set up maxima you will understand.
Ive been in 4ths with

Intrax & agx
eibach & agx
ksport coilovers
s techs and h techs.
still dont think it handles bad but just my opinion. You & I most likely have 2 different goals as far as ride quality
Old 03-24-2008, 06:43 PM

I have Tokico Illuminas and Tokico springs and I have already gone through two sets of strut mounts in the front. Not only that but Im ready for a third set of strut mounts and the ride is horrible. One of the rear shocks is leaking, I wish I hadn't gotten Tokico's
Old 03-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am riding on tokico's now had them on for 6 months and my strt mounts as well are already bad in the front. Death= tokico
Old 03-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Horizontally opposed.

to the noobs^^

I've got eibach springs on tokico illumina struts. I've had no problems and I've put at least 35k on this setup.

The only reason I would have chosen something different would be for shortened koni's. I have very little travel with this setup, however I don't bottom out very often.

Also, aren't the OEM struts made by tokico?? I have a hard time believing that tokico doesn't make quality products.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:03 AM

ive got s techs and illuminas and i only bottom out on my factory resonator until i got a b pipe. noooo bottoming out rides ok
Old 03-25-2008, 07:54 AM

Despite all the other stuff, I think the s-techs are good. The drop I got from them was perfect. I love how my car looks with them. And for that reason alone id recommend this spring. If you arnt looking to race/auto-x, and going for a nice drop/look only, I think the s-techs are great.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

well if all you care about is looks just cut the stock springs.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:50 PM

Tokico blues are horrible if you choose to use lowerings springs. But if you have good white Tokico illuminas with the new OEM nissan strut bearings and the proper bump stops and bushings front and rear. You must be looking for potholes or are driving on the moon to pop the illuminas. There are the toughest and I would not use any lowerings over 1.3-1.5 in any major cities or any roads that's daily potholes and craters. Whichever setup is not going to survive that. I had to learn the hard regardless of everything DO NOT GO CHEAP on the suspension you will waste money and time on the labor and will eventually buy the proper setup. Once again DO NOT SAVE ON SUSPENSION and LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. It really hurts to throw money and time in the garbage. I am even thinking of H-techs just to be on the safe side.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:03 PM

I was thinking of going with Tein S-tech and KYB AGX or the Illuminas. Are the Illuminas more durable than the KYB AGX?
Old 03-25-2008, 03:05 PM

Do NOT go with eibach lowering springs and tokico blues combo. I can turn better than a bmw but any pothole more than 1 inch shakes your bones. I am dying for a softer ride and don't know what the exact culprit is. the tokico blues, the springs, or the 17 inch enkei rs6.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:16 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by KillaJakez
Do NOT go with eibach lowering springs and tokico blues combo. I can turn better than a bmw but any pothole more than 1 inch shakes your bones. I am dying for a softer ride and don't know what the exact culprit is. the tokico blues, the springs, or the 17 inch enkei rs6.
Such as basically the entire Atlantic Ave, heading toward queens?

I agree with that, the blues are fine on decent roads, but on any ****ty street, you will regret it. I got the HPK245 kit with the red Tokico lowering springs and 17" oem rims. I'm guessing that the culprit is more likely the struts than the springs, because they're just too soft. I'm looking to put in some Illuminas this summer.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:55 PM

Atlantic Avenue..yeah...What about those bumps that come about on nassau expressway, on the belt once in a while...and whitestone expressway...Some of those bumps..heck..they should just throw some logs onto the road.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Horizontally opposed.

I <3 my eibachs. Those + Illuminas = good. stiff, but I'm willing to trade a little ride quality for handling.

I've always heard good things about Koni's...supposed to be the BEST dampers for a 4th gen. Those with eibachs or ground control coilover springs would be amazing.

I've also thought about replacing just my front illuminas with konis. Since the rear koni's are not adjustable from the top, I'd just keep the illuminas in the back.

Any input on konis??
Old 03-25-2008, 09:15 PM
oem ftw!

Some of those bumps..heck..they should just throw some logs onto the road.

Couldn't have said it any better!!!! I'm convinced they won't fix roads like Atlantic, etc in a cheap attempt to keep people's speed down! Some of those things are down right dangerous and have almost killed me before!!!! I wouldn't be surprised if my airbags deploy one day after hitting a new one by surprise, that's how bad a lot of them are
Old 03-27-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by CRiME

Couldn't have said it any better!!!! I'm convinced they won't fix roads like Atlantic, etc in a cheap attempt to keep people's speed down! Some of those things are down right dangerous and have almost killed me before!!!! I wouldn't be surprised if my airbags deploy one day after hitting a new one by surprise, that's how bad a lot of them are
I was driving down one of these roads in southern brooklyn, forgot which one, but it was literally covered in potholes, craters, cheap fix attempts, cracks, gaps, it was disgusting. I sped through it at 25 mph and the car shook like it was being hit with .50 caliber fire. That didn't kill me. What almost killed me was a head splitting shriek from my date. I was so distracted I blew a red light.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:40 PM

Okay. Time for suspension overhaul. I just busted a second enkei rim. This time it was the driver side front rim. I am picking up some original 16" maxima wheels tomorrow and slapping new tires on them. I am keeping my eibach lowering springs, and am looking to replace the tokico shocks and struts. Help me out here. What is the general consensus for a softER ride on a lowered gen 4 max. (I am willing to give up some handling)
Old 04-23-2008, 08:45 PM

Does anybody have any true info on k-sport sprink not what they think.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:12 AM

What is the general consensus for a softER ride on a lowered gen 4 max. (I am willing to give up some handling)
i would also like to know this, i'm looking for an appropriate drop for 19's that will retain as much ride quality as i can get (for 19's); H-tech/illumina? H&R/Koni? i would love some input here
Old 04-24-2008, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by bluebriscoe
Does anybody have any true info on k-sport sprink not what they think.
i dont really have too much of a problem with them. Only thing is, they ARE soft springs, the handling is better compared to stock but any other spring compressed with the wheels on the ground would probably have 2 coils(if that) touching my ksports, have about 4-5 coils touching(completely closed) out of about 10 coils. I also compressed the rear springs for mounting by hand and ALMOST was able to do the front. thats how soft they are.

I would recommend a stiffer strut than stock though. I have GR2s on the front and havent had a problem, but i still have stock in the rear and have blown the driver side rear twice. Most of the reason is because i have a 245/40/18 tire in the rear and 2 12" subs, and its a 2.0" drop. So im thinking with that size tire and weight, there is barely ANY travel rate in the rear, causing it to blow.

But overall, im satisfied with the ride/stance. Ive been in 4th gens with almost every other setup(s techs/h techs/eibach/intrax/ksport coilover) and they seem to take bumps kind of harsh. stiff enough to make CDs skip. The Ksport spings are soft enough to make the bumps similar to stock(as far as softness)

Hope this makes sense/helps... Im just waking up.lol

Last edited by ghostmax301; 04-24-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:09 AM

I just want to say that allot of people need to do there own damn research. Before buying KSports I referred to the ORG for research on drop springs. Many people spoke of scrapping the bottom of my car and bottoming out. The front KSport springs drop 2.2 inches and the back is 2.0 inches. My car rides perfect, it absorbs pot holes and bumps way better than stock. My car never scrapes or bottoms out. Im from Jersey, so trust, we have many annoying pot holes. It's so aggrevating to read the previous posts people left on this thread. Just show people speak more bull**** than actual facts. I just want to say I recommend this for a drop if your are on a budget and cannot afford coil overs. Its very smooth, no bouncy bouce or "scrapping", highly recommended.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM

Are the Konis actually shorter shocks? arent they just inserts into the housing of an old shock? meaning the cradle will still be in the same position, or is it to do with the internal valving that makes them a shorter stroke shock

i have them on the front and am cautious about putting them in the rear because of the cost vs benefit
Old 06-25-2008, 05:34 PM

I just want to say that allot of people need to do there own damn research. Before buying KSports I referred to the ORG for research on drop springs. Many people spoke of scrapping the bottom of my car and bottoming out. The front KSport springs drop 2.2 inches and the back is 2.0 inches. My car rides perfect, it absorbs pot holes and bumps way better than stock. My car never scrapes or bottoms out. Im from Jersey, so trust, we have many annoying pot holes. It's so aggrevating to read the previous posts people left on this thread. Just show people speak more bull**** than actual facts. I just want to say I recommend this for a drop if your are on a budget and cannot afford coil overs. Its very smooth, no bouncy bouce or "scrapping", highly recommended.
i also higly recommend the k sports lowering springs. i have them paired with oem struts in the front and illuminas in the rear. i have tein flex's on ,my twinturbo z so the ksports feel like a stock ride to me.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:03 PM

Ive had s-techs and kyb gr2's for like 4 months now and I spent like 500 or less on the whole setup and I live on long island NY and have driven in all the 5 boroughs. I am very happy with the setup, nasty potholes are a bit harsh (and isnt nice with any suspension) but its as tight as can be around corners and at high speeds its extremely stable (100mph). yes there are better setups but if you want it to look dropped and have unbeatable ride quality (ie best setup) is to go with full pro coilover kit which will cost about 1200 in parts alone if you find it cheap. the s-techs and gr2s have the nice dropped look and will keep you tightly glued to the pavement in most any conditions in my experience. most of the other spring setups people are suggesting like h-tech and so on will not looked dropped at all(unless you start measuring). I hope this helps good luck.
Id also like to add that nowhere and no matter how harsh the pothole I never ever bottom out.

Last edited by j2b4osan; 07-10-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:40 AM

So it looks like there is a strong arguement for getting Ksport springs. What I wanted to know is what kind of shocks/struts are good when paired with the Ksports. In one of the posts above, someone said tokico blues are terrible for lowering springs. Has anyone heard of Springtech shocks? I saw then on Ebay for around $150 a set.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JSutter
well if all you care about is looks just cut the stock springs.
yeah. that's great advice...not.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:51 AM

I bought the tokico blues spring combo for 450. Tokico said that the springs are made to work well with the blues. I have bottomed out a few times. I cut the bump stops by 50%. Make sure you get a couple of camber bolts. I hit the twisties evertime i go to work. I have hanged with a stock 350z in the turns, he pulled away in the straights. It dropped my car about 1.5". Heres a pic.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 PM

all of this is quite interesting, but heres a question. What do you think Possessed Nissan to Give The Maxima 5 Inchs Of Fender Clearance.. I mean Really?

nah thats just a joke, but honestly, my rear struts are about shot, and im wondering what a good set of struts and springs would be for just daily driving, and some good cornering, without breaking the bank, so let me rephrase the question. Im Cheap Broke and in college. I Drive Wayy Too fast. and i take turns at excesssive speeds. What is a good cheap combo of struts and springs. a good bang for your buck if you will.

Last edited by FallenOne; 11-15-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:26 AM
Schnell kaputt

Originally Posted by FallenOne
all of this is quite interesting, but heres a question. What do you think Possessed Nissan to Give The Maxima 5 Inchs Of Fender Clearance.. I mean Really?

nah thats just a joke, but honestly, my rear struts are about shot, and im wondering what a good set of struts and springs would be for just daily driving, and some good cornering, without breaking the bank, so let me rephrase the question. Im Cheap Broke and in college. I Drive Wayy Too fast. and i take turns at excesssive speeds. What is a good cheap combo of struts and springs. a good bang for your buck if you will.
Check out Eibach springs since you want something stiffer and pair them with Illuminas or AGX's. Buy used to keep your budget low.

just want to say that allot of people need to do there own damn research. Before buying KSports I referred to the ORG for research on drop springs. Many people spoke of scrapping the bottom of my car and bottoming out. The front KSport springs drop 2.2 inches and the back is 2.0 inches. My car rides perfect, it absorbs pot holes and bumps way better than stock. My car never scrapes or bottoms out. Im from Jersey, so trust, we have many annoying pot holes. It's so aggrevating to read the previous posts people left on this thread. Just show people speak more bull**** than actual facts. I just want to say I recommend this for a drop if your are on a budget and cannot afford coil overs. Its very smooth, no bouncy bouce or "scrapping", highly recommended.
I ran S-Tech's for a while (similar drop height) and didn't have any scraping problems either then again members running smaller wheels will sit lower to the ground and would likely scrape more often. It was debatable how often I hit the bumpstops (or if I rode on them constantly, however I did cut down the bumpstops to nearly nothing so I had some limited travel) however now that I'm running coilovers the difference is clear with the amount of shock travel I've gained, but, the S-Tech's aren't as bad as it appears. I wouldn't plow through bumpy turns or potholes though which is where high drop springs on the 4th gens show their unpleasant (and dangerous) side. I think I would still get them if I were to buy springs again.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:09 AM
Bad Mother Fornicator

I LOVE the look of Maximas dropped on S-techs, but I was warned against them, for axle problems, etc. I am running Eibach springs and Tokico Illuminas, factory length bumpstops, new OEM mounts, fstb, rstb, rsb, and 18's. NO complaints. No bottoming out, no bones shaking. As expected, it's a rougher ride.. but I enjoy it for the handling. I try to avoid holes best I can.. but nobodys perfect. ..and RI is just as bad as Jersey for potholes! Although Im not sure that we are as bad as New York! lol

Quick Reply: Suspension drop question