4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Parking break extends all the way and barely grabs

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 04:59 PM

Parking break extends all the way and barely grabs

This has been a problem since I bought the car almost a year ago, but basically the parking break hasn’t really been as well as if think it should. I am able to extend the break lever so it’s max throw and it still isn’t enough to hold it on about a 25 degree hill. The adjuster screw on the lever is as tight as it’ll go, and I even added a few washers on there in attempt to get some more adjustment out of it. When I pull the break it does fell like it build some tension, then at one point releases it will I’m still pulling it. I’ll attach a video that I took with my phone pointed at the control lever on the break itself. Can can hear in the video the points where it releases the tension but continues to move the control arm. Any ideas on this? Maybe time to replace the pads, it is a 26 year old car.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:34 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Check the cables, disconnect them from the caliper to see if they move freely. Check the caliper for rust and corrosion on either the slide pins or the piston.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

One of the cables probably snapped. This creates more slack on the cable leading to the ebrake lever. The cable that you can tighten inside the car leads down to a T-splitter under the car, where it splits to two separate cables, one leading to each of the rear wheels. If one of those cable sections snapped, you would get the exact symptom you describe.

Chock the front wheels and lift up the back end, see if you are able to grab and rotate one of the rear wheels with the ebrake engaged. If it can still spin then thats your clear indication that the brake isnt grabbing on that side.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
One of the cables probably snapped. This creates more slack on the cable leading to the ebrake lever. The cable that you can tighten inside the car leads down to a T-splitter under the car, where it splits to two separate cables, one leading to each of the rear wheels. If one of those cable sections snapped, you would get the exact symptom you describe.

Chock the front wheels and lift up the back end, see if you are able to grab and rotate one of the rear wheels with the ebrake engaged. If it can still spin then thats your clear indication that the brake isnt grabbing on that side.
I visually verified that both of the control arms on both rear wheels are moving.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by notAjetta
I visually verified that both of the control arms on both rear wheels are moving.
Since it has been like this since buying the car, who knows why....

If you are completely confident that the cable from the brake handle to the pair of cables at the T Bar, and then all the way to the rear Calipers (and working properly) is sound and not compromised.....

IIRC, the area where the one hand brake handle cable attaches to the T Bar to where the two other cables continue to the rear calipers has some thread adjustment play. If no additional threads are left to tighten further, The Brake Handle also has some thread tightening adjustment as well. If that is tightened all the way as well.... Back to the Cables and Calipers. And maybe the pads are as thin as skins?
Old 05-16-2022, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by KP11520
Since it has been like this since buying the car, who knows why....

If you are completely confident that the cable from the brake handle to the pair of cables at the T Bar, and then all the way to the rear Calipers (and working properly) is sound and not compromised.....

IIRC, the area where the one hand brake handle cable attaches to the T Bar to where the two other cables continue to the rear calipers has some thread adjustment play. If no additional threads are left to tighten further, The Brake Handle also has some thread tightening adjustment as well. If that is tightened all the way as well.... Back to the Cables and Calipers. And maybe the pads are as thin as skins?
i didn’t know about the adjustment at the T-bar. How exactly would I access that?
Old 05-16-2022, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by notAjetta
i didn’t know about the adjustment at the T-bar. How exactly would I access that?

If you don't know where it is, how can you say the cables are fine? You obviously haven't been under the car to inspect the entire path! It's not hidden. Below is a Nissan Maxima Diagram:

I am not 100% sure it has any adjustment threads but I somehow remember so. It's been years since the back two cables were replaced when Nissan was closing them out. I suspect the rear calipers. 4th Gen Maximas are known to be problematic. But the cables corrode if in a salt for snow climate.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:38 PM

I had these cables go bad on me and I had to replace them with a new set of parking brake cables as the diagram shows. I did this back in 2016-2017 the cables were stretched out and where the caliper meets the cable hook that part was completely stretched out and broken from that point. Look into the pads first than check the cables where the calipers meet the hook on the cable and check for loose or broken ends.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
If you don't know where it is, how can you say the cables are fine? You obviously haven't been under the car to inspect the entire path! It's not hidden. Below is a Nissan Maxima Diagram:

I am not 100% sure it has any adjustment threads but I somehow remember so. It's been years since the back two cables were replaced when Nissan was closing them out. I suspect the rear calipers. 4th Gen Maximas are known to be problematic. But the cables corrode if in a salt for snow climate.
I mean I can see the part when the cable connects to on the break end move on both sides through the full range of motion on the parking break lever. I guess the video didn’t attach properly. Anyway I’ll go head and take a look at the entire length of the cable, and the calipers (haven’t got to take the wheels off since the tire iron was missing when I got the car so I have to snag one from my friend or someone lol).