Sunroof repair - Maxima Forums



4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sunroof repair

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
mod or sell?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
internetautomar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Skokie (look it up)
Posts: 19,756
Sunroof repair

has anyone found a way to fix the sunroof WITHOUT using the TSB kit? I don't really want to stick $100 + 4 hours into the car to get my sunroof fixed.
My previous 3rd gen I was able to fix it real easily with just some hand tools and the assembly still in the car.
internetautomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,043
It's not that hard to do. Spend the money and time. I LIKE using the sunroof, so I fixed mine. I don't remember my rebuild kit costing $100, tho. What's a TSB kit?
Sounbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
Super Moderator
iTrader: (43)
 
The Wizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 15,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetautomar View Post
has anyone found a way to fix the sunroof WITHOUT using the TSB kit? I don't really want to stick $100 + 4 hours into the car to get my sunroof fixed.
My previous 3rd gen I was able to fix it real easily with just some hand tools and the assembly still in the car.
I've never heard someone fixing their sunroof easily like you're hoping. I think you're gonna have to suck it up and just do it as called for in the TSB if you want your sunroof fixed.
The Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
mod or sell?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
internetautomar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Skokie (look it up)
Posts: 19,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounbwoy View Post
It's not that hard to do. Spend the money and time. I LIKE using the sunroof, so I fixed mine. I don't remember my rebuild kit costing $100, tho. What's a TSB kit?
there's a TSB on the sunroof (95-97) the kit specified in that TSB has a list of roughly $110 so after typical discounts it's near $100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
I've never heard someone fixing their sunroof easily like you're hoping. I think you're gonna have to suck it up and just do it as called for in the TSB if you want your sunroof fixed.
Yeah, that is my fear. TSB shows 4 hours labor time, I'm not really inclined to spend 4 hours at one shot working on my car these days.
I may just pay / have someone else do it.
internetautomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lowell/Boston, MA
Posts: 1,614
Thats not a bad price. Do it up man. Honestly... You will like it in the long wrong. Mine is viberating a little when closing (yes I lubed her up) it seems like its like too lose or something. And the Firction wheel belt squeels like a bastard which is annoying if I go a tad bit too far.
S1cTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetautomar View Post
Yeah, that is my fear. TSB shows 4 hours labor time, I'm not really inclined to spend 4 hours at one shot working on my car these days.
I may just pay / have someone else do it.
The actual labor time charged out by most dealers will be atleast 5.3 hrs because the labor displayed on the tsb is only warranty time (what the factory pays the tech to do the job) most shops will charge a customer retail time which ranges approx $70 - $85 per labor hour, you could be looking at spending between $400- $500 on labor alone and then another $120 (including sales tax).
Blaximazx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
mod or sell?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
internetautomar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Skokie (look it up)
Posts: 19,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaximazx View Post
The actual labor time charged out by most dealers will be atleast 5.3 hrs because the labor displayed on the tsb is only warranty time (what the factory pays the tech to do the job) most shops will charge a customer retail time which ranges approx $70 - $85 per labor hour, you could be looking at spending between $400- $500 on labor alone and then another $120 (including sales tax).
Point taken on the labor time.
I won't have a dealer do it, I have an independent shop that can do it if I really want them to for nothing. or a shadetree mechanic friend of mine if I'm in a rush.
I don't pay sales tax (Resale # FTW!)
internetautomar is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8th-gen Maxima reliability--better info mkaresh 8th Generation Maxima (2016-) 14 03-15-2017 08:40 AM
TX 2010 Nissan Maxima SV Premium Package Fbana41 Maximas for Sale / Wanted 3 08-29-2016 01:18 PM
Found a 1987 MT maxima Forge277 1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) 12 06-13-2016 10:26 PM
Sunroof cover jonreidhead 6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) 3 01-06-2016 10:38 AM
2011 Maxima Sunroof Question bigdogsteve 7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) 5 09-30-2015 07:12 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:06 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.