4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

car doesn't turn over HELP

Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

car doesn't turn over HELP

Hey guys, been on this board for a while and just scratching my head. Yesterday, the car was cranking but sputtering when it turned over. Immediately I thought hmm its the MAF sensor. So i went to the junk yard this morning and purchased a MAF sensor for a 99. I installed it and proceeded to crank the car. Well the car cranked and then died. Now the starter is just spinning and there is no cranking at all. I hope I didn't fry a wire to the crank position sensor. Is different years different for the MAF sensor? I have a 97.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:15 AM

By the way here were the codes. 0504 and 0102
Old 10-07-2008, 12:12 PM

I dont fully understand what you're describing....when you say sputtering, was the motor running or not? The MAF only comes into play once the motor is running...but if while you're starting the car, it doesnt get to that phase, then you have another issue.

The starter should be spinning freely, and turning the engine over, and if its not, then you might wanna check that, or your grounds.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:09 PM

thanks. the starter is just spinning, its not cranking. I have a ground kit so I doubt that's a problem. Power is getting to the starter. I think it was a domino affect. I replaced the ignition switch and will be swapping the starter with a used one I have lying around. If it works than problem solved. Lets just hope the used MAF I got works too.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:07 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by speed racer
thanks. the starter is just spinning, its not cranking. I have a ground kit so I doubt that's a problem. Power is getting to the starter. I think it was a domino affect. I replaced the ignition switch and will be swapping the starter with a used one I have lying around. If it works than problem solved. Lets just hope the used MAF I got works too.
If the starter is spinning but it's not cranking the engine, then you either have the wrong starter, a bad starter, or there's something wrong with your ring gear.

As TLMNICK said, the MAF has nothing at all to do with the cranking of the engine.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Whatchyou say?

Sounds like you have a bad starter if it was working and now it's not. Swap it out and see how things procede. The starter solinoide will cause symtoms like you describe. I had to replace mine not long ago ....
Old 10-07-2008, 08:05 PM

I'm going to change the starter tomorrow with a one I have lying around in my garage. But I know the Maf was bad yesterday the car would gurgle trying to stay on. But like others said the MAF has nothing to do with starting.

Once I can get it to crank than I can see if the MAF problem was fixed or not.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:54 PM

I changed the starter and still have the same problem. This morning before I changed it the car cranked just for a second but didn't turn over. The battery is 2 months old. It might sound strange but can I drain the battery by turning the key many times over without the car actually starting? It was cold in the morning. Maybe the battery got a little juice like how you put batteries in the freezer.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:56 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by speed racer
I changed the starter and still have the same problem. This morning before I changed it the car cranked just for a second but didn't turn over. The battery is 2 months old. It might sound strange but can I drain the battery by turning the key many times over without the car actually starting? It was cold in the morning. Maybe the battery got a little juice like how you put batteries in the freezer.
It's possible, especially if the battery is near death. Every time you turn the key to ignition, you're priming the fuel pump, turning on whatever accessories you left on (blower motor, radio, possibly the antenna, etc).
Old 10-09-2008, 09:43 PM

If the starter is spinning with no cranking, I think the battery is ok. Basically the sequence of events is - ignition switch send power to the starter solenoid - solenoid energizes and sends battery power to the starter motor - starter motor spins and "throws" starter motor gear into flywheel gear and engine cranks. The 4th gen starter is one weird puppy. It uses a small, high rpm motor geared down by a planetary gear set. The problem this design has is that the lubrication in the planetary gear set dries out and the starter doesn't spin at the proper speed.

Do you know anyone with a 4th gen you could borrow their starter to test with? That old starter you had laying around could have the same problem.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:23 AM

Car started this morning. Used some jumper cables and feathered the gas on start up. Problem solved. The cranking without starting probably drained the battery.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If the starter is spinning with no cranking, I think the battery is ok. Basically the sequence of events is - ignition switch send power to the starter solenoid - solenoid energizes and sends battery power to the starter motor - starter motor spins and "throws" starter motor gear into flywheel gear and engine cranks. The 4th gen starter is one weird puppy. It uses a small, high rpm motor geared down by a planetary gear set. The problem this design has is that the lubrication in the planetary gear set dries out and the starter doesn't spin at the proper speed.

Do you know anyone with a 4th gen you could borrow their starter to test with? That old starter you had laying around could have the same problem.
Good post, but you forgot about the relay upon start up. It kills power to all of the accesories (in order to pull full amps from the bat).