Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Back.. but with a question about dash (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/574654-back-but-question-about-dash.html)

dkillahster 10-25-2008 12:15 PM

Back.. but with a question about dash

Has anyone successfully removed the whole dash without screwing anything up? my friend tried and he accidentally deployed the airbag somehow... but the dash is still intact... so is there any way to get it off ready to paint? or is it just best to cover the windshield and just sand it there and paint over it?

any pictures would be nice too. thanks guys.

:mrgone: << and that is how i feel bout it..

whiteSE 10-25-2008 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by dkillahster (Post 6671881)
Has anyone successfully removed the whole dash without screwing anything up? my friend tried and he accidentally deployed the airbag somehow... but the dash is still intact... so is there any way to get it off ready to paint? or is it just best to cover the windshield and just sand it there and paint over it?

lol hopefully he didnt get smacked in the face with the air bag

dkillahster 10-25-2008 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by whiteSE (Post 6671916)
lol hopefully he didnt get smacked in the face with the air bag

nope....
too bad he didn't.. HAHA

shadyonedeath 10-25-2008 02:08 PM

paint it...? isnt it vinyl? What color?

I would think the paint would bubble up in the sun since the dashboard isnt extactly a "flat" texture to begin with.

Cveega 10-25-2008 02:11 PM

not a good idea to paint the whole dash

dkillahster 10-25-2008 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cveega (Post 6672144)
not a good idea to paint the whole dash

yeah i see what you mean.. i did it anyway.. but i am just preparing for the next car show.... so all this is temporary... it'll just come off, and ima redo the whole thing again..

dkillahster 10-25-2008 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath (Post 6672138)
paint it...? isnt it vinyl? What color?

I would think the paint would bubble up in the sun since the dashboard isnt extactly a "flat" texture to begin with.

well, it aint exactly bubbling up like you say it is.. it actually got on there pretty good... i am using that walmart .96 cents a can paint.. all that is just temporary for the next car show... so yeah.. and i am doing the whole inside of my car black.

JSMax 10-25-2008 03:31 PM

blackonblack98 I believe is his screen name. His has been dyed red I believe. Shoot him a pm.

dkillahster 10-25-2008 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by JSMax (Post 6672303)
blackonblack98 I believe is his screen name. His has been dyed red I believe. Shoot him a pm.

i talk to him everyday.. on aim... so thanks. i didn't know.

pmohr 10-25-2008 03:38 PM

Yes, you can remove the entire dash without damaging anything. That's how it's intended to be removed. All it takes is taking your time and not trying to hurry through the removal.

However, deployed an airbag? How the hell did 'he' do that? Tell me you had the battery disconnected for a while before disconnecting the airbags...

dkillahster 10-25-2008 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr (Post 6672320)
Yes, you can remove the entire dash without damaging anything. That's how it's intended to be removed. All it takes is taking your time and not trying to hurry through the removal.

However, deployed an airbag? How the hell did 'he' do that? Tell me you had the battery disconnected for a while before disconnecting the airbags...

all i remember him saying was this.. "don't worry man, i got this.." i told him to disconnect the battery but he said.. "naw naw man.. i got this"... then i went in the house to get some food.. next thing ya know.. the driver side air bag deploys... he said "ya know.. Never ever stick a flat head under the steering wheel while having a bunch of unknown wires around." so yeah... -_- went to stealership to get it fixed... but i just gone ahead and left it in... i am scared to do it now, since he done that...

pmohr 10-25-2008 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by dkillahster (Post 6672348)
all i remember him saying was this.. "don't worry man, i got this.." i told him to disconnect the battery but he said.. "naw naw man.. i got this"... then i went in the house to get some food.. next thing ya know.. the driver side air bag deploys... he said "ya know.. Never ever stick a flat head under the steering wheel while having a bunch of unknown wires around." so yeah... -_- went to stealership to get it fixed... but i just gone ahead and left it in... i am scared to do it now, since he done that...

As long as you're not a complete idiot, and actually disconnect the battery and wait when working around airbags, dash removal is no big thing. Mostly it's about not being a damn idiot. Seriously, wtf.

dkillahster 10-25-2008 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr (Post 6672354)
As long as you're not a complete idiot, and actually disconnect the battery and wait when working around airbags, dash removal is no big thing. Mostly it's about not being a damn idiot. Seriously, wtf.

yeah... he was a complete idiot.. -_______-

njmaxseltd 10-25-2008 05:52 PM

Has anyone successfully removed the whole dash without screwing anything up? my friend tried and he accidentally deployed the airbag somehow... but the dash is still intact...

:bs: Impossible

Maxima-4DSC 10-25-2008 08:06 PM

i call stupid award for not removing the battery power :jester:

CRiME 10-25-2008 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by dkillahster (Post 6672623)
yeah... he was a complete idiot.. -_______-

:lol:

Hey, out of curiosity would your friend happen to be "bluebriscoe" ? See below, or the last line of my signature :lol::

Originally Posted by bluebriscoe (Post 6384555)
So do you disconnect the battery then the air bag or vise versa?

:rofl: :deezo:

dkillahster 10-29-2008 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by CRiME (Post 6673139)
:lol:

Hey, out of curiosity would your friend happen to be "bluebriscoe" ? See below, or the last line of my signature :lol::

:rofl: :deezo:

nope. :]

dkillahster 10-29-2008 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd (Post 6672798)
:bs: Impossible

well, costed me some money to remove the module under the center console at nissan because they said it can only be used once?? iono... they took me of my 200 something... dollars i guess... not to mention he was using cutting pliers to cut some wires or something that he thought was something i wired up... but iono... i wasn't there... so idc... but i got the dash done now..

JSMax 10-30-2008 11:55 AM

you still thinking of painting it?
What color you gonna do?
pictars.

The Wizard 10-30-2008 12:12 PM

Do we dare ask for pics of the painted dash done with the cheapest walmart paint on earth??? :noes:

dkillahster 10-30-2008 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard (Post 6682433)
Do we dare ask for pics of the painted dash done with the cheapest walmart paint on earth??? :noes:

turned out really nice if you ask me.

hornepirate 10-30-2008 02:10 PM

lets see some pictures of it :)

dkillahster 10-30-2008 02:54 PM

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...r/SDC10848.jpg

ok.. well. the flash on the camera was on and it was taken at night... i didn't have time to take daytime pictures.. but it looks pretty decent if you ask me.. and of course as you can tell.. i aint halfway done... i got the carpet to swap out black and everything else is gonna be black.. so iono..:( but honestly.. trust me... i'll be honest with you.. i used 96 cents walmart paint.. and i aint ashamed of doing cheap mods that do just about the same thing as a well done mod... except maybe a little imperfection here and there.. but it is all good. i am happy. :D

dkillahster 10-30-2008 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by dkillahster (Post 6682858)
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/i...r/SDC10848.jpg

ok.. well. the flash on the camera was on and it was taken at night... i didn't have time to take daytime pictures.. but it looks pretty decent if you ask me.. and of course as you can tell.. i aint halfway done... i got the carpet to swap out black and everything else is gonna be black.. so iono..:( but honestly.. trust me... i'll be honest with you.. i used 96 cents walmart paint.. and i aint ashamed of doing cheap mods that do just about the same thing as a well done mod... except maybe a little imperfection here and there.. but it is all good. i am happy. :D

and guess what guys!! remember my posting question about my intake? well, i got my intake down into the fenderwell.. and i feel a little difference actually. WILL POST PICTURES SOON!!! doesn't look great, but i guess it is right..:cool:

hornepirate 10-30-2008 05:09 PM

not too bad for walmart paint

JNCoRacer 10-30-2008 06:16 PM

Jesus H Christ.... Well at least the guage bezzel looks good.

pmohr 10-30-2008 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer (Post 6683251)
Jesus H Christ.... Well at least the guage bezzel looks good.

It looks so...sticky.

hornepirate 10-30-2008 06:28 PM

maybe he likes it sticky?

:hide:

BLACKonBLACK98 10-30-2008 06:48 PM

sooner or later you're going to learn these things are not worth doing unless you are going to do it right, young grasshopper. even with the amount of time and money i had into mine i would do it better if i was to ever do it again (which i probably wouldn't).

my interior parts for comparisons sake:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...8/DSCF0290.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...8/DSCF0289.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...8/DSCF0288.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...8/DSCF0217.jpg

maxfever1987 10-30-2008 07:11 PM

hmmmm..... shiny

dkillahster 10-30-2008 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr (Post 6683253)
It looks so...sticky.

that is because i took the photo soon after i painted it.. but now it has a sorta matte finish to it... but yeah..

GStrength 10-30-2008 08:58 PM

LOL... It looks obvious that you applied too much paint. It doesn't look as though you applied a number and series of light coats. Thats right I remember in your previous post, you mention you filled a huge barrel with Walmart paint, dipped each part and hanged dried each part on a clothes line.

The Wizard 10-30-2008 10:31 PM

Looks like the car caught on fire and these are the burnt remains.

So let me get this straight. Was the existing dash black to begin with? It appears so based on the overspray I see. If so, then the existing black dash wasn't black enough for you, so you painted it to be pitch black? I thought you were painting a tan interior black the whole time. Aren't the center AC vents going to be stuck now? How did you paint near the windshield??

Pitch black isn't exactly show car worthy. What blackonblack98 did would be IMO.

max ride 41 10-30-2008 11:20 PM

why in the frick would you paint your dash??? goddamn, that is a horrible job dude, did you even try to sand and smooth it out first??? wow, just wow.....:goofy:

IlyaK 10-31-2008 11:37 AM

Wow...talk about a disaster.

Dude...seriously...go buy another dash..

Holy crap...wow....

riceyasian86 10-31-2008 01:08 PM

er..could you take day time pictures? It's hard to tell if it looks good at all.
it looks like...you ruined your dash?
Wasn't the dash black to being with?

shook187 10-31-2008 02:10 PM

What show is that car being entered? Pimp my ride?

chinolatino215 10-31-2008 02:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_k_KFtsCUI just like this lol

QNO_A32 10-31-2008 02:38 PM

HAHA:laugh:dude you just ruined your car

maximase86 10-31-2008 03:30 PM

Looks like a 96 cent paint job. I really like how you just sprayed over climate controls. Oh, and having 2 head units, does that make your stereo sound better? The imperfections brings the car 'character'.

BTW, your a ****ing idiot if you can convince yourself that even looks remotely decent. :)

S