4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP!! No Heat Only cold Air

Old 10-30-2008, 09:17 PM
the max thats growing up

HELP!! No Heat Only cold Air

Ok this is the deal i have 95 gle auto climate control. its soo dam cold here in Philadelphia last nite i had my heater on full blast today the heat is not working just cold air comes out i checked my anti-freeze its was low filled it still no heat when i was messing with the climate control i was setting it on 60 to 75 to 85 usually when i do that the vents open up and change the air diction the air flow is just stuck at blowing towards the feet idk what to do im soo clueless
Old 10-30-2008, 09:25 PM
No more Maximas...

Have you run the diagnostics on the climate control?

Also, where did your coolant go? Overheating at all? If you rev it up to ~3 grand or so, does it start to get warmer?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:30 PM
the max thats growing up

Originally Posted by pmohr
Have you run the diagnostics on the climate control?

Also, where did your coolant go? Overheating at all? If you rev it up to ~3 grand or so, does it start to get warmer?
didn't do diagnostics. not overheating. going to try to rev and see what happins. idk where coolant went
Old 10-30-2008, 09:31 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by chinolatino215
didn't do diagnostics. not overheating. going to try to rev and see what happins. idk where coolant went
Then do the diagnostics, and it'd be a very good idea to find out why you lost coolant.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:43 AM
mod or sell?

low coolant = no heat
add coolant = bleed system if needed
the ACC is designed to blow to the floor when it is in "heat" mode. it blows out the dash when it is in "A/C" mode. You can manually change where it blows from by using the MODE button.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:08 AM

Haha, at leats you get cool air lol, I live in Cary, NC where it's been chilly lately, so when the inside of my car is too hot, I turn my AC on by opening the windows till its too cold
Old 10-31-2008, 02:12 PM
the max thats growing up

Originally Posted by pmohr
Then do the diagnostics, and it'd be a very good idea to find out why you lost coolant.
im going to do the diagnostics to day and i tried reving it around 3 rpm heat comes out hen when it goes back down its lukewarm air
Old 10-31-2008, 02:14 PM
the max thats growing up

Originally Posted by internetautomar
low coolant = no heat
add coolant = bleed system if needed
the ACC is designed to blow to the floor when it is in "heat" mode. it blows out the dash when it is in "A/C" mode. You can manually change where it blows from by using the MODE button.
i know that it was just stuck blowing air to the floor when it was in auto now its working fine but the heat is still the issue only lukewarm air im going to tri to bleed the system
Old 11-03-2008, 10:17 PM

If bleeding still no workie, chances are that you're heater core's clogged.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:59 AM

does anyone know which way the flow goes for the heater core? from the bottom hose in and out the top hose? or the other way? my heat takes forever to warm up...like 20 minutes...and then it is not as hot as i think it should be..i'm pretty sure my heater core is clogged..the system has been flushed like 5 times and bled properly...there is an aftermarket radiator cap on the car...would that cause an issue?
Old 11-04-2008, 06:42 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Maximamand
does anyone know which way the flow goes for the heater core? from the bottom hose in and out the top hose? or the other way? my heat takes forever to warm up...like 20 minutes...and then it is not as hot as i think it should be..i'm pretty sure my heater core is clogged..the system has been flushed like 5 times and bled properly...there is an aftermarket radiator cap on the car...would that cause an issue?
if you want you can flush the heater core by removing both heater hoses and sticking a garden hose on one end at a time (forward flush and reverse flush) if it makes you feel any better. though i bet you just need to bleed the system too.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:43 AM

the cap is probably not a problem, a clogged core could do that but if you are losing coolant your heater core may be leaking, check the passenger side floor underneath the glovebox for any coolant leakage.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:13 AM

i'm not losing any coolant..that was the OP..I just piggy backed on his thread while people were looking....

I've bled the system about 20 times...and it hasn't made much differece...straight flushing the heater core was my next step...
Old 11-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Project Ruby......

I guess I'll add some things in here. My buddy's car is having some symptoms. His temp gauge goes wacky bounces to hot when driving at lights falls back down, his coolant is disappearing, but I can't find any leaks what so ever.

My car experienced similar issues I replaced my thermostat and everything was fixed. So I replaced his thermostat, the gauge is steady now, but no heat what so ever unless he floors it and then it quickly disappears. The hose that runs out of the bottom of the radiator to the thermostat is ice cold it never seems to warm up. I believe its suppose to get warm correct? I believe mine is warm.

He called me yesterday and said his coolant was gone again. Heater core issue? Just a ton of air in the system have to re bleed?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 4DRSpeed
I guess I'll add some things in here. My buddy's car is having some symptoms. His temp gauge goes wacky bounces to hot when driving at lights falls back down, his coolant is disappearing, but I can't find any leaks what so ever.

My car experienced similar issues I replaced my thermostat and everything was fixed. So I replaced his thermostat, the gauge is steady now, but no heat what so ever unless he floors it and then it quickly disappears. The hose that runs out of the bottom of the radiator to the thermostat is ice cold it never seems to warm up. I believe its suppose to get warm correct? I believe mine is warm.

He called me yesterday and said his coolant was gone again. Heater core issue? Just a ton of air in the system have to re bleed?
My friend has the same exact symptoms with his chevy blazer, its eats coolant, heat rarely works, and the temp gauge will bounce to high and slowly go down randomly. So basically bump
Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 AM
the max thats growing up

well here is my deal now i go to change the radiator and check the preussre guess what anti-freeze is leaking out right behind the A/C condenser so i hope its the F***in water pump this this is making me soo mad
Old 11-11-2008, 05:50 PM
mod or sell?

well here is my deal now i go to change the radiator and check the preussre guess what anti-freeze is leaking out right behind the A/C condenser so i hope its the F***in water pump this this is making me soo mad
condensor or compressor?
the condenser is in front of the radiator.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:12 PM
the max thats growing up

Originally Posted by internetautomar
condensor or compressor?
the condenser is in front of the radiator.
compressor sorry about its the ac compressor exuse me
Old 11-12-2008, 05:50 AM
Project Ruby......

well I replaced my buddy's thermostat and the gasket as well. Flushed the radiator and refilled with coolant. My final thought is it had a ton of air in the system, it took a little bit of time.

He revved the living **** out of it and the heat would come on and go away, while the radiator looked full with the cap off I continued to pour and poured quite a bit of coolant. I then brought the revs up to 2500 and the car brought some heat and the heat stayed, but wasn't mega hot like it was when I revved. Proceeded to fill some more and more and more until the heat was quite hot and stayed.

I told him to check it in the morning. It's been a few days he hasn't let me know anything so I assume everything is fine.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:34 AM
mod or sell?

compressor sorry about its the ac compressor exuse me
OK, just wanted to be clear since you had mentioned doing the radiator earlier in the post.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:39 PM
the max thats growing up

i for got i did that diagnostic for the climate control and Im confused on that idk what the codes stand for any help with that would be great the codes i got was in section 2 i got a flashing 3 and 5 each blinking twice
Old 02-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm having the same issue. Last night heater was working perfectly fine, then I set it to bit cooler a bit quickly. Then I realized that it's only blowing cold, not hot at all. Today I tried again, now luck.

I tried turning on AC, enabled circulation mode (idk if that's the name?) but it still blows cold air. My feeling is that temp set-point is stuck and even though I change it, it's not reflected. What would went wrong?

Nissan 1996 Maxima