Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Give Gas, she stalls....help (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/575791-give-gas-she-stalls-help.html)

Bassbreaker 11-09-2008 05:38 PM

Give Gas, she stalls....help

It seems now that I have my CAI installed when I give it gas it stalls or wants to stall...it doesn't make sense. I know My Maf sensor is no good and I unplugged it, but why is the car stalling when I give it gas? Like reving it over 4000 rpm's. This is frustrating. I thougth it was the kinks in the hoses but I fixed that and now it still stalls....any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

95max327 11-09-2008 05:43 PM

are you sure its not the maf? maybe not enough air and too much fuel? what other performance parts do you have? any fuel upgrades

Bassbreaker 11-09-2008 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 95max327 (Post 6699803)
are you sure its not the maf? maybe not enough air and too much fuel? what other performance parts do you have? any fuel upgrades

i'm quite sure it isn't the maf cause I have it unplugged, and the only performance parts I have it the intake. I know there wouldn't be much power when the maf is unplugged, but when i give it gas it shouldn't stall...

Bassbreaker 11-09-2008 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker (Post 6699796)
It seems now that I have my CAI installed when I give it gas it stalls or wants to stall...it doesn't make sense. I know My Maf sensor is no good and I unplugged it, but why is the car stalling when I give it gas? Like reving it over 4000 rpm's. This is frustrating. I thougth it was the kinks in the hoses but I fixed that and now it still stalls....any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

also, when it do rev up a bit, there seems to be a backfireing sound of air coming back through the intake like a puffing sound...this is driving me...

Bassbreaker 11-09-2008 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker (Post 6699813)
also, when it do rev up a bit, there seems to be a backfireing sound of air coming back through the intake like a puffing sound...this is driving me...

I don't know if this will help in any conclusions but yesterday when i tried it with the maf plugged in i gave it gas and i heard a "pop" sound. An injector wouldn't make a pop if it blew would it?

95max327 11-09-2008 07:12 PM

hmm.. sounds like an air/fuel problem.. i had a s/c thunderbird and without my maf it would backfire out of the exhaust when i would rev it high in neutral and let off.. no maf would make the idle ****ty sometimes as well. i dont think an injector would make a popping sound. when did this problem start occuring? before you unpluged the maf, a little while after, long time after? does it misfire? at high R's in gear does it seem to bogg out or skip?

95max327 11-09-2008 07:15 PM

backfiring is making me think it has something to do with too much fuel.. im assuming check engine light is on because the maf.. but have you scanned the car to see what other codes it may have thrown?

Feldman 11-09-2008 07:29 PM

how about picking up a new maf since you already need one and see if that solves the problem

Snypa 11-09-2008 08:35 PM

i advise the same thing^^^

K.Hall 11-09-2008 09:57 PM

I had the same exact problem and once i bought a new MAF sensor that problem went away.

Bassbreaker 11-10-2008 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by K.Hall (Post 6700096)
I had the same exact problem and once i bought a new MAF sensor that problem went away.

Ok..I have another Maf off of a GXE I own and I can try that, but, it only started happening after the maf went really. I hooked up the CAI, busted the MAF, left it unplugged and it idled smoothly and she'll idle smoothly right now, but when i give it gas it'll sputter a bit and then stall. And when it do rev up for me, it doesn't rev higher than say 4000 or so and then it sounds like air is coming (puffing sound) back through the intake or somewhere in that area...

Bassbreaker 11-10-2008 04:04 AM

also, I forgot to mention...there is no CEL, doesn't misfire really..it'll either rev up and make the puffing sound, or stall as soon as I put the gas down. Even if the maf IS bad, it should still be able to run shouldn't it? Maybe the CAI is giving to much AIR?

Madmax66 11-10-2008 04:26 AM

I just F'd my MAF and it acts VERY similarly however, it does not stall. I only get to about 2500 RPM before she sputters like mad. I AM getting 0304 code for KS which I had just replaced a few months ago....hoping a new MAF will cure.

Hopefully, the other MAF helps!

Bassbreaker 11-10-2008 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Madmax66 (Post 6700225)
I just F'd my MAF and it acts VERY similarly however, it does not stall. I only get to about 2500 RPM before she sputters like mad. I AM getting 0304 code for KS which I had just replaced a few months ago....hoping a new MAF will cure.

Hopefully, the other MAF helps!

thanks, i'll try it when i get home, but I don't know what to do if that isn't the problem...

njmaxseltd 11-10-2008 05:09 AM

Cliff notes for this thread:

Guy installs an intake, the maf goes bad, car runs poorly, verified the maf is bad, car still runs like crap, asked the org what to do knowing the maf is bad, car still runs like crap.

Seriously.... CHANGE THE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR!

You were better off with the stock intake anyway, it gives the best throttle response.

Bassbreaker 11-10-2008 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd (Post 6700238)
Cliff notes for this thread:

Guy installs an intake, the maf goes bad, car runs poorly, verified the maf is bad, car still runs like crap, asked the org what to do knowing the maf is bad, car still runs like crap.

Seriously.... CHANGE THE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR!

You were better off with the stock intake anyway, it gives the best throttle response.

i said I would change it when i got home.....i've also read posts about just cleaning it...maybe that would be the case...also, is a stock CAI gives the best throttle response...then why would people install a CAI

gold96 11-10-2008 06:30 AM

Definatly the MAF. But try cleaning it first. I wasted money replacing it with an aftermarket one. I cleaned the original one, put it back in, and it ran perfectly.

Bassbreaker 11-10-2008 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by gold96 (Post 6700292)
Definatly the MAF. But try cleaning it first. I wasted money replacing it with an aftermarket one. I cleaned the original one, put it back in, and it ran perfectly.

will do, thnaks, btw, would I be able to get that maf cleaner at NAPA? I assume it only costs like 6 or 7 bucks?

Do you only just spray the plugs(male and female)?

I assume you do not spray at the resistor?

Thanks

Snypa 11-10-2008 06:57 AM

most autoparts store.^^

njmaxseltd 11-10-2008 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker (Post 6700243)
also, is a stock intake gives the best throttle response...then why would people install a CAI

Looks and sound.

95max327 11-10-2008 09:41 AM

i dont think the stock intake is the best though... there seems to be alot of restrictions. wouldnt a stillen or nismo be the best intake?

but to stay on topic.. try a diffrent maf, either way you need one right? if its not that then see what it does from there, im sure the maf will deffinatly do something.

Bassbreaker 11-10-2008 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by 95max327 (Post 6700533)
i dont think the stock intake is the best though... there seems to be alot of restrictions. wouldnt a stillen or nismo be the best intake?

but to stay on topic.. try a diffrent maf, either way you need one right? if its not that then see what it does from there, im sure the maf will deffinatly do something.

yeah, you're right. In the least i'm hoping it will stay going when I plug the new maf in...i'll clean both of them too and see if that makes a difference

modenaf1 11-10-2008 04:02 PM

On all cars I have worked on that I have accidentally left the MAF unplugged, they all usually sputter and/or stall when I give it gas. It makes sense, the engine can't detect that more air is going in, thus it can't appropriately control the mixture. The more gas you give it, the more you screw up the mixture thus the more likely you will stall it. I assume modern cars like the Maxima have some sort of an a/f map so it can generally know what to do based on the TPS, but it may not be accurate enough.

Bassbreaker 11-10-2008 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by modenaf1 (Post 6701068)
On all cars I have worked on that I have accidentally left the MAF unplugged, they all usually sputter and/or stall when I give it gas. It makes sense, the engine can't detect that more air is going in, thus it can't appropriately control the mixture. The more gas you give it, the more you screw up the mixture thus the more likely you will stall it. I assume modern cars like the Maxima have some sort of an a/f map so it can generally know what to do based on the TPS, but it may not be accurate enough.

ahh..i see...well i'm going to clean and put on the new maf tomorrow morning...i'll let you know how it goes.

Just out of curiosity ( off topic ) does anyone know about how long it would take to drop a 5 speed out of a car...i have th step by step instructioons...but a time frame would be nice so I can do it before sundown

fishforlife2007 11-10-2008 07:51 PM

u might also check for vaccum leaks..

maxkid123 11-10-2008 08:41 PM

its the maf..get a new one.

KRRZ350 11-10-2008 10:21 PM

check to make sure you didn't switch the maf and boost sensor connectors around, there the only connectors that are the same on the whole damn car and u probably removed both during the intake install.

Bassbreaker 11-11-2008 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350 (Post 6701911)
check to make sure you didn't switch the maf and boost sensor connectors around, there the only connectors that are the same on the whole damn car and u probably removed both during the intake install.

i only unplugged 2 plugs when i installed the intake...the IAT and the MAF, and they are not alike...i'll try and post pics

Bassbreaker 11-11-2008 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker (Post 6702538)
i only unplugged 2 plugs when i installed the intake...the IAT and the MAF, and they are not alike...i'll try and post pics

I have pics, but i have no idea how to put them on here....

Bassbreaker 11-11-2008 11:39 AM

Ok....i figured out one way to do it...lol...go to my profile and i've put the pics in an album with the same same as this thread...have a look and let me know what ya think

Bassbreaker 11-11-2008 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350 (Post 6701911)

ok...i just put in the maf from my other parts car and no change...my altinator squeels but the lights are still strong. when the maf is plugged in, i can start it and keep reving it up but as soon as i let go of the peddle it will stall. When the Maf is unplugged, it will stay idling ut when i give it gas it will stall...i'm getting very close to getting rid of the car...the maf that was on it before was pretty new.....ugh check my profile for pics of it to see anything wrong...i can't figure anything out

The Wizard 11-11-2008 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker (Post 6699806)
i'm quite sure it isn't the maf cause I have it unplugged, and the only performance parts I have it the intake. I know there wouldn't be much power when the maf is unplugged, but when i give it gas it shouldn't stall...

First of all, you have to have a good working MAF in the system.

Yes it will idle fine with the MAF unplugged, and stall if gas is applied when the MAF is disconnected. This is normal. What would make you think otherwise?????????????????????? You just can't start disconnecting stuff and expect your car to run normal w/ or w/o gas. I'm shocked no one has mentioned this.

Weren't you the guy would recently yanked the MAF wiring from the MAF and screwed it up? If so, then I bet your connections on the harness side of MAF wiring our messed up. Check those and report back. It's either your MAF, or wiring. Plain and simple.

Bassbreaker 11-11-2008 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard (Post 6703056)

Yes it will idle fine with the MAF unplugged, and stall if gas is applied when the MAF is disconnected. This is normal. What would make you think otherwise?????????????????????? You just can't start disconnecting stuff and expect your car to run normal w/ or w/o gas. I'm shocked no one has mentioned this.

Weren't you the guy would recently yanked the MAF wiring from the MAF and screwed it up? If so, then I bet your connections on the harness side of MAF wiring our messed up. Check those and report back. It's either your MAF, or wiring. Plain and simple.

i am not the guy you are refering about...but...when i have the maf plugged in it stalls w/o gas...

Bassbreaker 11-11-2008 07:03 PM

i was told the car could be driven witht he maf unplugged but just wouldn't have any power above 2500rpms...i'm not just assuming things. I just find it weird that with it unplugged it will idle fine but stall when gas is applied and when it is plugged in it will stall then idling but stay going if i keep on the gas...i'm not saying i'm a mechanic or anything...far from it actually, but i'd like to just be able to drive my car....if the IAT sensor is broken, will it cause these symptoms? Like if one of the 2 wires is broken off?

The Wizard 11-11-2008 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker (Post 6703246)
i was told the car could be driven witht he maf unplugged but just wouldn't have any power above 2500rpms...i'm not just assuming things. I just find it weird that with it unplugged it will idle fine but stall when gas is applied and when it is plugged in it will stall then idling but stay going if i keep on the gas...i'm not saying i'm a mechanic or anything...far from it actually, but i'd like to just be able to drive my car....if the IAT sensor is broken, will it cause these symptoms? Like if one of the 2 wires is broken off?

Whoever told you that gave you bad information. A broken IAT sensor would not cause your symptoms. A bad MAF on the other hand would.

Also, you had no problems before you installed the CAI, right? If so, then retrace your steps, you're missing something.

Bassbreaker 11-12-2008 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard (Post 6703256)
Whoever told you that gave you bad information. A broken IAT sensor would not cause your symptoms. A bad MAF on the other hand would.

Also, you had no problems before you installed the CAI, right? If so, then retrace your steps, you're missing something.

maybe you are right, but from what i cn see, there isn't anything different than when it was stock. I'm going to hook it back up stock today and see if there is a difference. If not, then it is definatly a bad MAF. I'm tryin to avoid this cause they are not cheap.
Check my profile and look at my pics of the intake to see if there are any obvious problems...
thanks

Bassbreaker 11-12-2008 08:41 AM

I seen something on youtube where a guy was fixing a MAF sensor. There were 3 wires soldered onto 3 seperate lines type things. It showed the soldering cracked on 2 of the 3 lines and therefore there was no power, stumbling and power loss..maybe I should check that out as well?
Anyone ever open up a MAF before?

modenaf1 11-12-2008 10:41 AM

I mentioned it:

On all cars I have worked on that I have accidentally left the MAF unplugged, they all usually sputter and/or stall when I give it gas. It makes sense, the engine can't detect that more air is going in, thus it can't appropriately control the mixture. The more gas you give it, the more you screw up the mixture thus the more likely you will stall it.
The MAF is one of the most crucial sensors as far as the engine's operation and control of the mixture goes.

All the problems above lead me to believe it is a bad MAF sensor. I say save yourself the headache and find a good MAF sensor to try out and see if it fixes your problems.

Bassbreaker 11-12-2008 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by modenaf1 (Post 6704242)
I mentioned it:

The MAF is one of the most crucial sensors as far as the engine's operation and control of the mixture goes.

All the problems above lead me to believe it is a bad MAF sensor. I say save yourself the headache and find a good MAF sensor to try out and see if it fixes your problems.

I will but i'm waiting for a few pm's back from people who have them. I can't afford to buy a new one seeing as they are about $400.

I know it is crusial to the performance of an engine, and i'm hoping a new one will do the trick...

fixerupper10 11-12-2008 12:40 PM

dude just buy a new one i know there expensive but it will just be a better investment to get it now that way if the thing actually goes completley out you dont have to search for a new one. plus i dont think this will change anything but take off your filter and see if theres anything huge trapt in it or maybe something got through it and caught in your maf who knows either way your going to need a new maf soon