4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Feels like the Ebrake is still on.. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:50 AM

Feels like the Ebrake is still on.. Please help!

It seems like on colder days, here in PA, my cars ebrake will stay engaged even when all the way down. Sometimes I can drive it but when I shift or throw to neutral I can feel the car slowing down. Other times one wheel is completely locked up and I can barely move, and I hear the tire screaching. I believe it is a rear tire, however, it is hard to determine which side.. Anyone have any idea how this could be happening? Just put in a new r rear caliper bc it was beginning to seize and we thought that was the problem... it wasnt.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I'm at 153k and trying to make my max last without throwing much more money into the car.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:00 AM

It could be moisture getting into the e-brake cable, and freezing. Happened to me here in MN. I had a bad boot at the caliper end of the cable. Replaced it and never happened again. Have someone set and release the e-brake while you check proper movement of the lever at the rear caliper.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Team Ramrod

I guess we should expect one of these every month since the winter is here...

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...when-cold.html

Look around next time.

Last edited by lilaclucymaxima; 01-12-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:17 AM

Yeah mine cable freezes up when it's really cold outside and I found out the hard way to fix it. Had to replace my calipers and brake pads and rotor because it dug in deep and one night the rotor went red hot! But now after changed ebrake cable fixed it.

But for now if you manually release the ebrake by pulling back the spring that the ebrake is connected to. Until you fix it.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 AM

that happens to mine after i let the car sit for a while..usually..i would just rip the crap out the thing all the way up twice and that frees it up so i can go..
Old 01-12-2009, 12:03 PM

Your rear calipers could be sticking/freezing. It is a common problem on 4th gens, especially as they get older. I had to replace both of mine last winter.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:02 PM

yea happened to my cousin last night.... Car's boosted and it felt weird.. But after ripping on it a bit freed up lol
Old 01-12-2009, 06:13 PM

Mine that when it got below freezing. Drove like that for two days until the temps went up. I have new calipers and cables mind you. I also had a groaning noise comning from the driver's side rear caliper when releasing the brake. I had a trusted shop take apart & lube the rear brake hardware two weeks ago.

BEEEEEAAUUUTIFUUL!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by kismias7
It seems like on colder days, here in PA, my cars ebrake will stay engaged even when all the way down. Sometimes I can drive it but when I shift or throw to neutral I can feel the car slowing down. Other times one wheel is completely locked up and I can barely move, and I hear the tire screaching. I believe it is a rear tire, however, it is hard to determine which side.. Anyone have any idea how this could be happening? Just put in a new r rear caliper bc it was beginning to seize and we thought that was the problem... it wasnt.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I'm at 153k and trying to make my max last without throwing much more money into the car.
I just went through this last week.

it's common for the e-brake cables to get damaged and allow water in and either rust up or freeze with water.

I flatspotted one of my rear tires last month when we had a cold night and in the morning my right rear wouldn't release. I got 100 yards down the road before my brake pads got good and warm and it refused to turn at all. The wheel was all but dragging till I got it back in front of my house.

When I replaced the cable this weekend it was warmer, and moving the cable manually rusty water squirted out from the rubber bellows at the brake end of the cable. Mystery solved - it was filled with water and froze up on that cold night.

For now I recommend you remove the wheel that's not rolling and disconnect the ebrake cable there to allow the car to operate properly. If it drives normally again you know it's the ebrake cable and not the caliper itself. Then until you get the ebrake cable replaced, use 1st gear and avoid parking on steep hills.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
Your rear calipers could be sticking/freezing. It is a common problem on 4th gens, especially as they get older. I had to replace both of mine last winter.
happened to me
Old 01-13-2009, 04:25 PM

Check your cable put some lubricant on all ends and the length of the cable when the weather gets warm, preferably lithium grease.