Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Front Motor Mount Removal Tips (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/595120-front-motor-mount-removal-tips.html)

magic_max 07-20-2009 03:30 AM

Front Motor Mount Removal Tips

I have a AUTO, and I'm preparing to remove my front motor mount so I can drop the cross member. After reading through the other posts, most say to remove the single bolt through the rubber piece but mine has a wire attached to it (liquid filled?) and wanted to know what the best way to remove the cross member/mount.

Grey wire attached to front motor mount.
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...ount-front.jpg

Appreciate any tips/suggestions.

Thanks!

MOHFpro90 07-20-2009 09:40 AM

Thats for the electronically controlled mount. Other than that, sorry I cant help.

pmohr 07-20-2009 10:26 AM

Unplug that wire.

Remove all 3 bolts and nuts, wiggle mount out. Simple as that.

The auto being larger is a bit more of a PITA to wiggle around to get out, but there's no need to drop or lower the crossmember in any way.

magic_max 07-20-2009 05:25 PM

Cross Member Removal

Originally Posted by pmohr (Post 7122213)
Unplug that wire.

Remove all 3 bolts and nuts, wiggle mount out. Simple as that.

The auto being larger is a bit more of a PITA to wiggle around to get out, but there's no need to drop or lower the crossmember in any way.

I realize that my title and question focuses solely on removing the motor mount. This post is actually related to my oil leak post (http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-oil-leak.html). So what I actually want to do is remove the cross member so I can remove the upper oil pan, but most of the post don't mention the wire on the mount so that kind of threw me off. I'll follow the grey wire up and unplug it.

So just removing the single nut and bolt through the rubber part is ok and drop the cross member with the mount on?

Thanks!!

pmohr 07-20-2009 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by magic_max (Post 7122740)
So just removing the single nut and bolt through the rubber part is ok and drop the cross member with the mount on?

Correct.

f550maranello2 07-20-2009 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by magic_max (Post 7122740)
I realize that my title and question focuses solely on removing the motor mount. This post is actually related to my oil leak post (http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-oil-leak.html). So what I actually want to do is remove the cross member so I can remove the upper oil pan, but most of the post don't mention the wire on the mount so that kind of threw me off. I'll follow the grey wire up and unplug it.

Thanks!!

first and for most make sure you are supporting the transmission and engine with something sturdy... because if the engine sinks you are gonna have a nice time trying to align the bolts back to the radiator support

and yes you are correct....you need to remove just the pin that goes through the center of the mount to the engine and rock the whole thing back and forth...

also replace the rear main seal at the same time...

pmohr 07-20-2009 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2 (Post 7122769)
first and for most make sure you are supporting the transmission and engine with something sturdy...

also replace the rear main seal at the same time...

There is no need to support the engine or trans, the side mounts will hold everything up just fine.

How would he replace the RMS without removing the trans?

f550maranello2 07-20-2009 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr (Post 7122773)
There is no need to support the engine or trans, the side mounts will hold everything up just fine.

How would he replace the RMS without removing the trans?

yea the side mounts will cause it to sink and shift been there done that

the bottom moon shaped part since it that is what leaks... wrong choice of words....

pmohr 07-20-2009 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2 (Post 7122782)
yea the side mounts will cause it to sink and shift been there done that

the bottom moon shaped part since it that is what leaks... wrong choice of words....

Sink and shift meaning? Sure, the engine is going to move around a bit with the crossmember off, but it won't cause any sort of issues.

f550maranello2 07-20-2009 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr (Post 7122789)
Sink and shift meaning? Sure, the engine is going to move around a bit with the crossmember off, but it won't cause any sort of issues.

it will when he tries to put the cross member back on and the bolts to the radiator support dont align.. besides you dont want all that weight resting on 2 mounts like that

pmohr 07-20-2009 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2 (Post 7122794)
it will when he tries to put the cross member back on and the bolts to the radiator support dont align.. besides you dont want all that weight resting on 2 mounts like that

As before, there's nothing wrong with letting it rest on those two mounts. Operating it with the crossmember removed? Of course. But as long as it's stationary, you won't run into any issues.

And as long as you do the rear mount first and get that bolt started, all you have to do is swing it up to reach the radiator support. I've never had an issue with that, across several Maximas.

f550maranello2 07-20-2009 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr (Post 7122799)
As before, there's nothing wrong with letting it rest on those two mounts. Operating it with the crossmember removed? Of course. But as long as it's stationary, you won't run into any issues.

And as long as you do the rear mount first and get that bolt started, all you have to do is swing it up to reach the radiator support. I've never had an issue with that, across several Maximas.

iv done 3 thus far 1 was on my car other 2 were on my friends with the same results... so have fun i guess..

96nismoSE 07-20-2009 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by f550maranello2 (Post 7122811)
iv done 3 thus far 1 was on my car other 2 were on my friends with the same results... so have fun i guess..

u cant win! let pmohr share his knowledge!

magic_max 07-21-2009 02:48 AM

Thanks for all the help guys.