4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

replaced knock sensor.. big improvement!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002, 04:55 PM

replaced knock sensor.. big improvement!!

i finally replaced my knock sensor and the improvement in acceleration is huge. i tested my old sensor and there was no
circuit going through at all. now my car finally feels like it should since lately it has been feeling very sluggish.

it only took me about 15-20 minutes to install it, and my hands are still all in one piece. i've been looking at how people have done this and noticed that people used flex sockets and extensions. i just used a short 12mm socket and a very small 1/4" drive rachet wrench. and most importantly, use your left hand to get in there, i could not get my right hand in there for the life of me.
Old 06-13-2002, 06:06 PM

since the knock sensor had no circuit running through it, did the CEL light up?
Old 06-13-2002, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by JustTry
since the knock sensor had no circuit running through it, did the CEL light up?
Im wondering the same thing. How do you test the knock sensor anyway?
Old 06-13-2002, 07:37 PM

get a voltometer, and then stick the leds into the wiring somewhere, and then see what the reading is....i dont really know what its supposed to be in between, but if you search, you can get definate answers

edit: it is confirmed (atleast by me and some other folks), that the knock sensor ALONE doesn't trip the CEL....if say your MAF goes, that will trip it, and along with that will come the KS code.....if you fix your MAF, and reset the ECU, if you go to diagnose it, itll most likely still have the KS code
Old 06-14-2002, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Jamsan
get a voltometer, and then stick the leds into the wiring somewhere, and then see what the reading is....i dont really know what its supposed to be in between, but if you search, you can get definate answers

edit: it is confirmed (atleast by me and some other folks), that the knock sensor ALONE doesn't trip the CEL....if say your MAF goes, that will trip it, and along with that will come the KS code.....if you fix your MAF, and reset the ECU, if you go to diagnose it, itll most likely still have the KS code
Good to know that the KS sensor alone will not trip the CEL. I will have to look into it and make sure its still good.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 4GRookie

Good to know that the KS sensor alone will not trip the CEL. I will have to look into it and make sure its still good.
You know...the more I think about it, the less I understand about knock sensors based on forum members' experiences. i.e. If the knock sensor sends a "signal" upon detection of engine knock/ping - at which point, the ECU retards the timing, which also results in decreased power - doesn't it stand to reason that a non-functioning knock sensor would only result in [audible] engine knock and have no effect on timing or power? It would make sense that the ECU would respond if there were erratic signals...But why would it respond if there were NO signal?
Old 06-21-2002, 07:22 AM

When the ECU senses a problem with the KS it goes into a closed loop. This in effect is "Safe mode" for the ecu. The timing is retarded and the loss of power is noticed. In other words, it won't allow the car to advance the timing and cause any knocking with a bad KS.
Old 06-21-2002, 07:23 AM
Keven97SE

It's a failsafe mode. If the knock sensor completely fails, the ECU is programmed to implement maximum timing retard to avoid any possible engine damage. The knock sensor is there to protect the engine. If it doesn't work, the ECU needs to kick in and protect the engine.

Fail safe mode is a very common programming practice...industrial machines, etc.

Originally posted by Rickalodeon

You know...the more I think about it, the less I understand about knock sensors based on forum members' experiences. i.e. If the knock sensor sends a "signal" upon detection of engine knock/ping - at which point, the ECU retards the timing, which also results in decreased power - doesn't it stand to reason that a non-functioning knock sensor would only result in [audible] engine knock and have no effect on timing or power? It would make sense that the ECU would respond if there were erratic signals...But why would it respond if there were NO signal?

Old 06-21-2002, 07:30 AM

Finally...Closure...I feel much better about having ordered a new sensor. Thanks for the lesson folks.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:18 AM

HOW did you test it with a voltmeter? If you try to test the 2 leads going out there is gonna be an open circuit. The right way is to ground one of the multimeter leads and then connect the other to the lead that is closer to the front of the car. Then it should read in the 560K ohm range. My KS passed the resistance test and did not throw the 0304 code. However just because the KS passes the resistance test does not mean its 100% good.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

One other thing - since a bad knock sensor itself won't trip the CEL light, you can test it through your ECU. Here's a link which shows you how to test your ECU without paying a mechanic $70 or more to pull your codes, or buying an OBD II diagnostic tester:

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

In a nutshell, your ECU can transmit codes as flashes of the CEL light. This link tells you how to do it, and also how to decipher what the codes mean. If your knock sensor is bad, you should get code 03 04. Again, a bad knock sensor in itself won't trip the CEL.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:25 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by fornobject
One other thing - since a bad knock sensor itself won't trip the CEL light, you can test it through your ECU. Here's a link which shows you how to test your ECU without paying a mechanic $70 or more to pull your codes, or buying an OBD II diagnostic tester:

In a nutshell, your ECU can transmit codes as flashes of the CEL light. This link tells you how to do it, and also how to decipher what the codes mean. If your knock sensor is bad, you should get code 03 04. Again, a bad knock sensor in itself won't trip the CEL.

Welcome to last week...

Old 06-21-2002, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by fornobject

Note: It's probably a statement of the obvious to you veterans, however...The code manually retrieved from the ECU should not be confused with the ISO 9141 defined codes typically displayed on a scan tool. e.g. P0304 = "Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected". Scan tool displays of knock sensor codes range from P0325 to P0334.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:09 PM

Re: replaced knock sensor.. big improvement!!

Originally posted by BossmaX
i finally replaced my knock sensor and the improvement in acceleration is huge. i tested my old sensor and there was no
circuit going through at all. now my car finally feels like it should since lately it has been feeling very sluggish.

it only took me about 15-20 minutes to install it, and my hands are still all in one piece. i've been looking at how people have done this and noticed that people used flex sockets and extensions. i just used a short 12mm socket and a very small 1/4" drive rachet wrench. and most importantly, use your left hand to get in there, i could not get my right hand in there for the life of me.
I just found out I need a KS sensor also. So where did you buy yours?...how much?
Old 06-21-2002, 01:18 PM

how muhc is a knock sensor

how much is a new knock sensor and where can i get one?
Old 06-21-2002, 01:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by mzmtg

Welcome to last week...

I'll admit - I couldn't remember where I saw it, until right after I posted it....after digging for it, I didn't want to delete it. :::banging head on desk::::
Old 06-21-2002, 01:34 PM

i bought mine at a nissan dealer for $164... but several people are selling them on this board for cheaper, i just didn't want to wait for one to come in the mail.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:34 PM

did replacing it improve power over the whole power band or just top end??
Old 06-21-2002, 01:55 PM

I just ordered one from nissanparts.org (Pinnacle Wholesale Parts Warehouse) for $126 plus s&h.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:31 PM

your nissan dealer, or www.courtesynissan.com has em for like $109 or someting along the lines of that
Old 06-21-2002, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by BossmaX
i bought mine at a nissan dealer for $164... but several people are selling them on this board for cheaper, i just didn't want to wait for one to come in the mail.
How many miles are you car before you decided to change this?
Old 06-22-2002, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Jamsan
your nissan dealer, or www.courtesynissan.com has em for like $109 or someting along the lines of that
More like $139.80.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey there, just reading up on this whole knock sensor thing. I have a 5'Th gen 5 speed. Someone said something in regards to being able to somehow advance the timing positioning by setting the KS In a certain way. Any validation to this without useing an OBDII. My local shops will not advance my timing. Im In Westchester NY, If so, please share step by step.. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:10 PM
ota

the knock sensor isn't all thay hard to swap but after trying various ratchets with swivel heads and what not the only thing that worked for me was a girl with very small hands. The knock sensor doesn't need much torque (20 foot pounds) so its all about access. My huge gorilla mitts just were not working.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:57 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by bottz
Hey there, just reading up on this whole knock sensor thing. I have a 5'Th gen 5 speed. Someone said something in regards to being able to somehow advance the timing positioning by setting the KS In a certain way. Any validation to this without useing an OBDII. My local shops will not advance my timing. Im In Westchester NY, If so, please share step by step.. Thanks.
First of all, why did you bump a 7 year old thread, in the wrong section?

No, you can't 'advance the timing' by changing the position of the KS. That's just ridiculous.

You can have it advanced with a CONSULT-II or equivalent.

In the future, use the newbie thread, that's what it's there for. Do not bump 7 year old threads that aren't even relevant.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:05 PM

man i need to get off my *** and change mine.
my new knock sensor has been sitting in the glove box for nearly 2 months now........
Old 07-18-2009, 08:39 AM

Old 07-20-2009, 02:42 PM

i got the p0325 code...i have been having issues with my car stalling out...it is very randomly...mostly at lights or whenever the rpms are low...if i can accelerate before the idle starts bogging, it will even out then at the next light it will stall...takes forever to crank back up,,,what is this...could my knock sensor be causing this???i let it stall out infront of my house and it thru the code p0125...What do i do???
Old 07-20-2009, 03:02 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by bassterdSD
i got the p0325 code...i have been having issues with my car stalling out...it is very randomly...mostly at lights or whenever the rpms are low...if i can accelerate before the idle starts bogging, it will even out then at the next light it will stall...takes forever to crank back up,,,what is this...could my knock sensor be causing this???i let it stall out infront of my house and it thru the code p0125...What do i do???
No, it's not the KS.

Well did you even look up the code you got?
Code: P0125 | Description: Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor

The ECTS can cause stalling problems. Test it, the harness, and replace/repair if necessary.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:05 PM

Thanx pmohr...i actually did look up the code but i didnt know if it would cause my car to stall ...i appreciate the closure...also, i tried to unplug my MAF to see if it would smotthenthe idle out...it actually made my car produce the same problem it gives me at stoplights...it just ends up bogging out...but when i plug it back in it dies out...