4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

proud owner of my 3rd 4th gen...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:42 AM

proud owner of my 3rd 4th gen... progress thread!

so i just bought a 1999 silver se 5spd... should be shipped to my house in a week and a half or so. i was just gonna take some opinions on what i should do first. the first max *97 white auto* was tails and intake. the second max *96 black 5spd* was headlights, wheels, and brakes... all those will be done soon enough, but i was thinken bout taken some of you guys' suggestions on something else to do first. maybe a cf dash trim kit? short shifter? bbk? full exhaust? suspension? any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. oh and by the way, the new one gets a big deployment budget! lol so this should be fun!

Last edited by max_dreamer; 04-28-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:58 AM

third time is a charm lol

First clean up the car with a tune-up/ maintenance and fix whatever is broken. After the car runnin up to spec, upgrade the battery to a duralast yellow top, then get yur sounds right. After that, time for perfomance: y-pipe exhaust, short ram intake, big pipe stainless steel muffler.

Anything these afterwards is up to you...but all of the above is a necessity
Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 AM

good luck with the new 4th gen, what happened to the others??
Old 03-09-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
third time is a charm lol

First clean up the car with a tune-up/ maintenance and fix whatever is broken. After the car runnin up to spec, upgrade the battery to a duralast yellow top, then get yur sounds right. After that, time for perfomance: y-pipe exhaust, short ram intake, big pipe stainless steel muffler.

Anything these afterwards is up to you...but all of the above is a necessity
oh yes! of course thats first. rip into the plugs and injectors n check them out. look at my filters, heck i might just replace them all. although the dealership said that it was pretty thoroughly looked over. we shall see! and the battery is a must, i have had problems in the past with my batteries, i figured id just jump straight to a optima. i was thinken "blue top" on a red top... i know the yellows are a deeper cycle, but ive heard of lots of people runnen systems and everything off the standard red... iuno, just a thought! oh and the intake will probably be the weapon-r secret weapon again! that gave her a MEAN grunt, plus a custom cold air box... and the exhaust, i was thinken, tanabe medallion touring modded to fit my max. they are just plain sexy!

oh and as for the other max's. the first one, the white 97, i had to give back cause i was in between jobs and couldnt afford it anymore. that was a sad day. and the second, the black 96, one of my good friends bought it from me before i left for iraq because he needed a car badly *just wrecked his, drunk driver hit him* and i told him if i ever sold it hed have first dibs. its the black one in my pics where ever that album went lol. and hes been really happy he did too!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:18 AM

Thats great to hear both of your old nissans are still out there on the streets.
On this 99 though check the coils coils coils they are know to go bad prematurely
on 99's.

Also you cant go wrong with tearing it down and checking and cleaning everything, like EGR TB IACV hell you can even put a mevi or 2000vi on it
Old 03-10-2010, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by defiance
Thats great to hear both of your old nissans are still out there on the streets.
On this 99 though check the coils coils coils they are know to go bad prematurely
on 99's.

Also you cant go wrong with tearing it down and checking and cleaning everything, like EGR TB IACV hell you can even put a mevi or 2000vi on it
yeah that was gonna be one of my first tasks also! definitely cleaning the intake system n whatnot. n yeah, i thought bout the mevi on my last two. but it seemed like alot of people were having problems trying to get all the parts if i recall correctly... ive heard it was a pretty good power to price ratio though. i need to find that thread again n see what all i need... maybe ill get lucky n someone will have the kit up for grabs.

oh and the shocks were just replaced if i recall correctly! i got it from a nissan dealership so im guessing they were on top of that stuff!
Old 03-10-2010, 02:18 AM

Theres a handfull of 00vi kits on sale in the classifieds. You can pick up the full MEVI kit off of http://courtesyparts.com/for $400. The 00vi makes more power and is generally cheaper but is more difficult to install than the MEVI.

I suggest the Y-pipe as your first mod. It was my first performance mod and I love it.

Last edited by schmellyfart; 03-10-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Theres a handfull of 00vi kits on sale in the classifieds. You can pick up the full MEVI kit off of http://courtesyparts.com/for $400. The 00vi makes more power and is generally cheaper but is more difficult to install than the MEVI.

I suggest the Y-pipe as your first mod. It was my first performance mod and I love it.
yeah, i thought about getting the custom maxima full exhaust setup. enless there is something against it, but its got a CRAZY good deal on it right now. 500 for headers, cat, and tailpipe. dont know if it gets any better. any comments on that?

and i had no idea the 00vi was that cheap. whats so difficult about it? ive been a mechanic for quite a while and i work on chinook hellicopters in the army, i dont know if theres much out there to confuse me! haha.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:35 AM

There are manuals and pictures on how to install it. You can get a full complete '00VI shipped for about $300. About 60hp peak gain over the stock intake manifold. A raised rev limit will let you take advantage even more. Replace the trans oil with a quality synthetic like amsoil and install a short-shift kit. Rear sway bar made a huge difference, about $100 shipped. As did the Y-pipe which is about $200 shipped new. High-flow cat under $100 new, and the cat-back is up to you if you want to make one or buy one; my apexi ws cost me $100 because it needed some welding. Springs and struts are good and coil-overs are better, again up to you. I'm on a tight budget so I went with an eibach pro kit and cheap kyb shocks/struts. This list could go on all day. How serious you are. For example the sound system, I'm replacing the four main speakers, added subwoofer, and headunit. How about sub-frame connectors? How about 400-500hp for $2,000. A supercharger is so easy a caveman could do it. And nowadays people have figured out the reverse y-pipe turbo and rear mounted turbo, RMT. Good luck with your max.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by max_dreamer
yeah, i thought about getting the custom maxima full exhaust setup. enless there is something against it, but its got a CRAZY good deal on it right now. 500 for headers, cat, and tailpipe. dont know if it gets any better. any comments on that?

and i had no idea the 00vi was that cheap. whats so difficult about it? ive been a mechanic for quite a while and i work on chinook hellicopters in the army, i dont know if theres much out there to confuse me! haha.
I dont think anyone has bought the custom maxima exhaust for a 4th gen. Their products have a striking resemblance to eBay products.. I steered clear of their catback because it has the same crimp after the resonator as the stock catback.

The 00vi is not as straight forward as the MEVI is to install. Take a look in the all motor section, also do a search for 00vi in that section.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:07 PM

I dont think anyone has bought the custom maxima exhaust for a 4th gen. Their products have a striking resemblance to eBay products.. I steered clear of their catback because it has the same crimp after the resonator as the stock catback.

The 00vi is not as straight forward as the MEVI is to install. Take a look in the all motor section, also do a search for 00vi in that section.
Yeah I took a gander at the manual that someone so briliantly put together and think id prefer the 00vi setup using all 00 parts with the pathfinder tb and egr block off... seems like you'd get the most out of it by far. Someone mentioned a high rev limiter, so it made me tuink of a removed top speed gov... will either set off the cel on a tune?

Also, I remember seeing some equal length long tube headers a while back, they still around?

As for the sc comment, I was kind planning on building towards that actually. Is there a normal Sc out there or are they all centrifical sc's? If so I may shoot for that earlier on...

Keep.l the ideas commen, I'm already working on a mods/cost list to start tackling as soon as I'm home!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:52 PM

Yeah I took a gander at the manual that someone so briliantly put together and think id prefer the 00vi setup using all 00 parts with the pathfinder tb and egr block off... seems like you'd get the most out of it by far. Someone mentioned a high rev limiter, so it made me tuink of a removed top speed gov... will either set off the cel on a tune?

Also, I remember seeing some equal length long tube headers a while back, they still around?

As for the sc comment, I was kind planning on building towards that actually. Is there a normal Sc out there or are they all centrifical sc's? If so I may shoot for that earlier on...

Keep.l the ideas commen, I'm already working on a mods/cost list to start tackling as soon as I'm home!
Thats the setup I'm doing for my 00vi with the exception of the EGR blockoff. Removing the speed limiter wont help you rev to 7.5k You will need a Technosquare or JWT ECU w/extended rev limit or an E-manage Ultimate.

I think the closest you will get to long tube headers is Cattman headers or OBX V2 headers.

Last edited by schmellyfart; 03-11-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:20 AM

Thats the setup I'm doing for my 00vi with the exception of the EGR blockoff. Removing the speed limiter wont help you rev to 7.5k You will need a Technosquare or JWT ECU w/extended rev limit or an E-manage Ultimate.

I think the closest you will get to long tube headers is Cattman headers or OBX V2 headers.
Yeah, I'm definately liking that setup the most. And the only reason to block off egr is just to keep the intake from getting gunked up from the recycled fuel. If you tune it up right it seems like a waste anyways, after all isn't that the purpose of a good air fuel mixture, to burn both equally? Oh and I know the increased rev won't remove the top speed limiter, I was just wondering if there's a tuner that can do both. Remove tsl and increased rev limiterwithout throwing a cel...

And it looks like ill be looking into those cattmans then. Never been a huge fan of obx :/

Keep the ideas comming. Car should be here in a week! As of right now, I'm leaning towards the 00vi purchase along with i/h/e to tide me over till I can install. Oh and possibly some custom retro r34s!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:00 PM

so i just bought a 1999 silver se 5spd... should be shipped to my house in a week and a half or so. i was just gonna take some opinions on what i should do first. the first max *97 white auto* was tails and intake. the second max *96 black 5spd* was headlights, wheels, and brakes... all those will be done soon enough, but i was thinken bout taken some of you guys' suggestions on something else to do first. maybe a cf dash trim kit? short shifter? bbk? full exhaust? suspension? any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. oh and by the way, the new one gets a big deployment budget! lol so this should be fun!

You bought the car off ebay or something ?? You get a great deal on it ?
I hate waiting for things to arrive in the mail so a car must be even worse !
Old 03-16-2010, 11:40 AM

You bought the car off ebay or something ?? You get a great deal on it ?
I hate waiting for things to arrive in the mail so a car must be even worse !
yep, its definitely hard waiting! i bought it from autotrader... it was a pretty good deal, to me anyways. like i said ive owned 3 now and this one is the best of the best! ive done the white with black, black with black, and now silver and black. white was too dirty, black was WAY to hot here in texas, but this one should be good lol. and its an se-l with heated seats n sun roof n all the goodies! i couldnt pass it up!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:55 AM

cool so its basicly a 99.5 !
Do you have pictures of it ?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:20 PM

cool so its basicly a 99.5 !
Do you have pictures of it ?
well i dont have any ive taken myself, obviously since i dont have the car yet! lol, but i didnt even think about stealing the dealership pics... they arent too bad n itll give ya a gist! ill post them up tomorrow or the next day. and then hopefuly some of my own too!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:06 PM

well i dont have any ive taken myself, obviously since i dont have the car yet! lol, but i didnt even think about stealing the dealership pics... they arent too bad n itll give ya a gist! ill post them up tomorrow or the next day. and then hopefuly some of my own too!

lol well yeah thats what i was referring to ! some of the autotrader pics
Old 04-04-2010, 10:00 AM

hey guys, sorry its been so long since i was able to get on n post some stuff. i was just going to give you the run down as of when i got the car!

ok so, the paint is in pretty good condition. only a few tiny dings and a scuff here or there... on top of the roof at the windshield there is some rust thats bubbling up the paint it looks like! also, i removed the maxima and nissan burger from the trunk because the "chrome" was pealing away... its still a bit noticeable even after a was and wax... go fig! the wing is, as always, faded and will be removed!

and of course like just about all the max's out there, the hood shocks are blown! but a plus is the power antenna! its still fully functional! bose stereo sounds great! climate control and heated seats work great too! only major downfall of the whole car is the rust. i guess up in IL they dont like to wash all the crap off to much so almost all the subframe has some pretty good rust along with the calipers front and rear. also, i did get it with a cel, airbag, and abs light on...

so first things first. replace o2 sensor for cel, get airbags looked into, and abs light should be rear brakes *they are near shot, and the ebrake has to be pulled 90% of the way for it to even try and hold! once those are done, ill be looking into getting some rims... i think im going with gram lights 57s-pro 19x8.5... and also, if i can source it id like to get the z32 bbk to put on instead of fixing the breaks with oem... bleh! then in a few months when i get home, its new exhaust and 00vi!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Just the tip.

So does this mean youre back in town? If you are, hit me up if you need an extra pair of hands with some mods, or just want to hang out with some of the Dallas guys.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:21 PM

hey guys, sorry its been so long since i was able to get on n post some stuff. i was just going to give you the run down as of when i got the car!

ok so, the paint is in pretty good condition. only a few tiny dings and a scuff here or there... on top of the roof at the windshield there is some rust thats bubbling up the paint it looks like! also, i removed the maxima and nissan burger from the trunk because the "chrome" was pealing away... its still a bit noticeable even after a was and wax... go fig! the wing is, as always, faded and will be removed!

and of course like just about all the max's out there, the hood shocks are blown! but a plus is the power antenna! its still fully functional! bose stereo sounds great! climate control and heated seats work great too! only major downfall of the whole car is the rust. i guess up in IL they dont like to wash all the crap off to much so almost all the subframe has some pretty good rust along with the calipers front and rear. also, i did get it with a cel, airbag, and abs light on...

so first things first. replace o2 sensor for cel, get airbags looked into, and abs light should be rear brakes *they are near shot, and the ebrake has to be pulled 90% of the way for it to even try and hold! once those are done, ill be looking into getting some rims... i think im going with gram lights 57s-pro 19x8.5... and also, if i can source it id like to get the z32 bbk to put on instead of fixing the breaks with oem... bleh! then in a few months when i get home, its new exhaust and 00vi!!!

Come on dreamer !! You gotta show us some pics man :]
Old 04-04-2010, 05:39 PM

Come on dreamer !! You gotta show us some pics man :]
i know i know! lol, my mom has to send me the ones from the day i got it when it was coming down off the truck...

n nope, still not back in town. when i am though, i may call ya up for a little 00vi help! ive got about 6 months, maybe 5 at the least till im outa this craptacular place!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:21 AM

woot! remember how to post pics. my mom still hasnt sent the others yet. gimmie a day er two. ill get um up i promise...
Old 04-07-2010, 06:26 AM

thats dope man
Old 04-07-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
thats dope man
haha, tell me about it. my parents house is in a podunk little town of like 800 so it was pretty cool seeing a big ol car hauler trying to make it down the street! i thought it was gonna be a single trailer and a dualy er something! if i get work done while im gone ill get my parents to take more pics for me! lol
Old 04-08-2010, 03:11 AM

hey guys! i was looken on ebay and found a full set, front and rear, of z32 calipers powder coated black... its running for 585 shipped... you think its work it? everything looks to be in good condition. the powder coat looks clean. comes with all the hardware and springs and shims and all that jazz.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/300ZX...#ht_500wt_1182

im going to do the front bbk for sure and im looking into the rears. but this seems decent for the calipers, although id like them to be blue... opinions?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:25 AM

max dreamer:

Where did you get that car? Ebay? LOOKS NICE, how much?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by shook187
max dreamer:

Where did you get that car? Ebay? LOOKS NICE, how much?
na, auto trader from an IL nissan dealership. 5k shipped to TX. n yeah its pretty nice! little bit of rust, its an SE with all the options. black leather. i love it! but ive only been able to drive it for 3 days! and then i had to go back to iraq!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

Your so COOL
Old 04-08-2010, 10:59 AM

I talked to Warpspeed, call and say you want to be put on the group dea, he said we could get $25 of per y pipe if we get 8-10 people.
lmk or call and talk to Dallas @ ws
Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by darrick
Your so COOL
hmm that sounded slightly sarcastic... why would i be "COOL"
Old 04-08-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by DCZC
I talked to Warpspeed, call and say you want to be put on the group dea, he said we could get $25 of per y pipe if we get 8-10 people.
lmk or call and talk to Dallas @ ws
hmm that does sound tempting. you got a link to thier y? is it equal length? whats the size?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:01 AM

the new album
Old 04-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Just the tip.

hmm that sounded slightly sarcastic... why would i be "COOL"
Thats not sarcastic...trust me. He's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Also one of the Dallas guys you'll have to meet when youre back in town.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:27 PM

good luck with the new max ......... price ? milage ?
Old 04-10-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
Thats not sarcastic...trust me. He's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Also one of the Dallas guys you'll have to meet when youre back in town.
ok good! i was like WTF! i didnt do anything wrong! yet... but yeah i guess we will have to meet up. n sadly i probably already know him from the races or shows n stuff n just dont remember his car. <--- no offense meant by that. i actually think it looks pretty hot. just dont remember out of the hundreds ive seen lol
Old 04-10-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by mahanddeem
good luck with the new max ......... price ? milage ?
5k with 147k! not to shabby! there was another one i was looking into at 108k but they wanted 5600 for the car and 1200 to ship. id say i got the better deal. oh and the other one had wood grain bs...
Old 04-28-2010, 08:32 AM

sorry if they are big

oolala! 00vi!

PF tb adapter plates

5th gen lower, fuel rail n injectors

IM, all put together
Old 04-28-2010, 08:41 AM

Reminds me of my 00VI progress thread. Fun times haha.

Many more pics coming soon.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by ajcool2
Reminds me of my 00VI progress thread. Fun times haha.

Many more pics coming soon.
haha yeah. its gonna be the all progress thread for everything! lol. retro'd r34's. cattman headers. greddy SE exhaust. 00vi. possibly sc n vlsd swap. maybe some coilovers... hopefully i get promoted here ina few days n get more money rollen in!!! the army has paid for my last two cars. lol

Quick Reply: proud owner of my 3rd 4th gen...