Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   ***Product Review and Installation: 4th gen Subframe Collars*** (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/609670-product-review-installation-4th-gen-subframe-collars.html)

aussie983 07-22-2010 10:51 PM

Put them on, along with new motor mounts. Best combination ever for remedying those aging rubber parts and slop in the drivetrain. If you're gonna get your mounts done, I say do these as well, as the subframe parts are probably also shot.

bamboomerang 08-23-2010 05:40 PM

Just got mine, install tomorrow. These things smell like pickerel, I opened the bag on my balconey and looked around thinking the local prostitute was back in business.

edit: Just installed these (98 MT - the quality and fit was flawless) and went for my post-mod joyride, and the hype is true. Drastically more noticeable than I expected. Paired with a mild drop/17's/ES LCA/sway bushings (along with all new joints in the front end), to re-illustrate and build upon what others have reviewed - this is what I noticed riding on some tight and bumpy Canadian backroads:
- More responsive steering, absolutely no noticeable side-to-side play or lag before the wheels actually respond - just instant feedback at high and low speeds.
- Improved cornering, handling and ride quality - I can feel the rotation of the LCA's and the progressive absorption of bumps on the spring - it's not a 'clunk' anymore, but an actual 'padded absorption' type feel without detriment to in-cabin noise or vibration. Provided more confidence/control/grip during hard cornering - makes the car feel generally less skiddish and fragile.
- Alleviated the brunt of our torque steer and wheel hop - really didn't expect this to be THIS good. Did a few WOT runs and didn't have to fight with the wheel nearly as much and the car seems better planted during launch and the shift into second, made it easier to concentrate on the revs and shift execution while keeping the car straight and body relaxed.
- In short, the front end simply feels tight and responsive. Adding the collars is analogous to the progression from OEM->ES bushings in stability, but fills in the gap (literally) of that weak link that prevents the bushings/LCA's from pivoting without play. It's a handling upgrade that will compound with others. Makes the car feel more agile and way more fun to drive and is one of those rare mods that both improves daily driving duties and racing performance without sacrifice.

illmortal 09-17-2010 10:47 PM

Has anyone used these with stock wheels on their 4th gen? I just wanna know in case I ever have to swap into stock wheels if I'll need to remove these or not. Thanks!

speedymax99 09-18-2010 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by illmortal (Post 7739016)
Has anyone used these with stock wheels on their 4th gen? I just wanna know in case I ever have to swap into stock wheels if I'll need to remove these or not. Thanks!

When I first tried them, it was in a car with stock wheels and suspension, and was still a noticeable improvement.
But it doesn't matter in any way what wheels are used with the subframe collars.

Br0nz 09-26-2010 04:06 AM

The only mods i have are FSTB and RSB i do not plan on lowering or change too many parts beyond preventive maintence (one side goes ill change both ect.) Will i still see this night/day difference? most people have much more mods than i do.

also now that a little more time/milage has elapsed what are your impressions? what drew me to this mod was:

Originally Posted by bamboomerang (Post 7704586)
is one of those rare mods that both improves daily driving duties and racing performance without sacrifice.

I do not want to sacrifice my ride quality so basically i want no down sides anyone have almost stock setup like i do?

mrfliboi 09-26-2010 07:44 AM

i like da setup.. one of my main issues is ride quality.. i feel everything.. i think ima have to invest in those mods to gain more pleasure in riding in my car..

Br0nz 09-26-2010 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by mrfliboi (Post 7749294)
i like da setup.. one of my main issues is ride quality.. i feel everything.. i think ima have to invest in those mods to gain more pleasure in riding in my car..

So... You have the collars or not? Lol I can't tell by your comments I was tring to get feedback from already modes. Cars heh

maxed_out_99 10-07-2010 10:51 AM

i just installed my set. there everything i was told AMAZING! i love them. the only questions i have are what material are they made from and how well do they hand temperatures i live in chicago and it gets really cold in the winter and really hot in the summer. i would highly recommend these to ANYONE with a max:D

Br0nz 10-07-2010 12:12 PM

Amazing huh? Lol how so? you on a stock setup? What mods?

maxed_out_99 10-07-2010 08:48 PM

2 inch drop on k-sports and gr2s cai and full exhaust factory wheels. buy a set its worth it

Br0nz 10-08-2010 05:24 AM

ehh what the hell i gotta try em i will get some soon and report back!!!

Prophecy99 06-23-2015 04:55 AM

does carnal still even make these? and wasn't there a guy who did a DIY with metal washers? and just cut out the c-shape ?

this is a idea i have, these would push your LTB-Stage II down so you would gain more clearance for exhaust and less on the ground.

Prophecy99 06-23-2015 05:18 AM

found it.

diy-subframe-collar-thread.html