4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Am I being too paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:09 PM

Am I being too paranoid?

OK, yesterday after getting a full tank of gas and driving 1 block my car died without warning and no CEL. After trying to crank for a little bit, I realized that nothing will happen.

I thought of fuel and proceed to check all fuses. Reason being that a Walbro fuel pump and cartech fmu were installed along with my s/c. All parts were used. I then pulled out the back seat, switched the ignition and barely heard the fuel pump. Unfortunately during this I left the ignition on and my converter's low batt alarm sounded.

I disconnected the line out and there was alot of pressure left. Fuel finally stopped wasting. I then turned on the ignition to test and fuel did come out but VERY weak. I reconnected the fuel line and and disconnected the fuel lines to the fmu. There was a little gas in the lines so I drained it into a vacuum line. I cranked the with it now weak battery. I barely cranks but starts for a few seconds and dies. No gas sprays out of the lines.

I finally decided to pull out the fuel pump and unbolted everything. I noticed that the fuel line inside was disconnected but wondered if it was connected and just got disconnected after I pulled off the top. The clip was not in place. I reconnected the hose and put the clip in the right spot.

AAA finally arrive and they try to jump. I cranked for about 15 seconds total and it never started. The car was towed home.

After getting it home I bolted up the fuel pump correctly, jumped it and primed it a few times. It started right up. Test drove it and it runs fine but rich after screwing with my fmu's screw.

For some damn reason, I can't get comfortable driving it. Could that have been the problem?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:05 PM

Sounds like you fixed it.

Originally Posted by EsQueue
OK, yesterday after getting a full tank of gas and driving 1 block my car died without warning and no CEL. After trying to crank for a little bit, I realized that nothing will happen.

I thought of fuel and proceed to check all fuses. Reason being that a Walbro fuel pump and cartech fmu were installed along with my s/c. All parts were used. I then pulled out the back seat, switched the ignition and barely heard the fuel pump. Unfortunately during this I left the ignition on and my converter's low batt alarm sounded.

I disconnected the line out and there was alot of pressure left. Fuel finally stopped wasting. I then turned on the ignition to test and fuel did come out but VERY weak. I reconnected the fuel line and and disconnected the fuel lines to the fmu. There was a little gas in the lines so I drained it into a vacuum line. I cranked the with it now weak battery. I barely cranks but starts for a few seconds and dies. No gas sprays out of the lines.

I finally decided to pull out the fuel pump and unbolted everything. I noticed that the fuel line inside was disconnected but wondered if it was connected and just got disconnected after I pulled off the top. The clip was not in place. I reconnected the hose and put the clip in the right spot.

AAA finally arrive and they try to jump. I cranked for about 15 seconds total and it never started. The car was towed home.

After getting it home I bolted up the fuel pump correctly, jumped it and primed it a few times. It started right up. Test drove it and it runs fine but rich after screwing with my fmu's screw.

For some damn reason, I can't get comfortable driving it. Could that have been the problem?