Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Car hesitated to turn over!! (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/615391-car-hesitated-turn-over.html)

canIlive 06-11-2010 02:08 PM

Car hesitated to turn over!!

I drove to a cleaners, parked my car, picked up my clothes and came back. I tried to turn on the car and it kept cranking but would not turn over! I sat and tried for about 10 minutes and it finally turned over (Lately, it hesitates for about 2-3 seconds then turns over). Anyway, I drove for about 15 minutes but then at a red light, it shut off. I quickly put it in park and cranked it and it turned over. What the hell is going on? Is it my starter? I just replaced my alternator about 2 months ago. Help!!

bkortee 06-11-2010 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by canIlive (Post 7598004)
I drove to a cleaners, parked my car, picked up my clothes and came back. I tried to turn on the car and it kept cranking but would not turn over! I sat and tried for about 10 minutes and it finally turned over (Lately, it hesitates for about 2-3 seconds then turns over). Anyway, I drove for about 15 minutes but then at a red light, it shut off. I quickly put it in park and cranked it and it turned over. What the hell is going on? Is it my starter? I just replaced my alternator about 2 months ago. Help!!

Welcome to the 4th gen maxima forums. Just about all of us have trouble starting the max. As far as it shutting off, I have no idea. Pop the hood and check it out.

95Maxed 06-11-2010 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by bkortee (Post 7598040)
Welcome to the 4th gen maxima forums. Just about all of us have trouble starting the max. As far as it shutting off, I have no idea. Pop the hood and check it out.

Ummm... Ive got no trouble starting mine, ever *knock on wood*

sgtboehn 06-11-2010 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by 95Maxed (Post 7598046)
Ummm... Ive got no trouble starting mine, ever *knock on wood*

Well now......arent you special!!:laugh: LOL

canIlive 06-11-2010 05:12 PM

anyone else have actual ideas as to how I can fix this problem?

LeFrank99 06-11-2010 05:14 PM

could be a lot of things, my first guess would be the fuel pump or maybe the fuel filter
is your check engine light on? if so check the code

shadetreemech77 06-11-2010 06:18 PM

Go to a parts store and have your battery tested. I had a bad battery that caused all sorts of problems. Nearly made the car undrivable. Replaced the battery and it was good as new.

sgtboehn 06-11-2010 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by canIlive (Post 7598217)
anyone else have actual ideas as to how I can fix this problem?

Best thing to do is start at the beginning, do a search in the forums there are plenty of write ups and how to's on diagnosing your problem. Alot of people have had this problem to include myself. Unfortunately it could be alot of things. Sensors, grounds, ignition, starter, battery, loose connections I could go on and on. Have you done any work under the hood lately? I have learned that when a problem occurs, it usually has alot to do with previous work, as far as a ground not being tightened down properly or a sensor not properly connected. Start with the easiest and most common and least expensive, that way your not kicking your self in the *** in the end! Good luck and keep us updated on your progress, the forums and people who frequent them for the most part are pretty helpful!