Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   what could be rattling in rear shocks area? (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/618232-what-could-rattling-rear-shocks-area.html)

najee1062 08-09-2010 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom (Post 7679642)
Ok so after following this thread, is it safe to say everytime you do your pads, you should replace your brake hardware as well??

No you shouldn't have to replace them again or every time... But if you've never had them replace on a 4th gen then it's most likely time.

Goomz 08-10-2010 04:18 PM

i just purchased the kit and the noise is gone as expected...its only 10 bucks anyway

supergondi 08-10-2010 04:49 PM

not sure if you guys know this or not but that noise is typically the caliper mounting brackets the metal wears down and allows excessive movement signs of this are noise over bumps and with no breaks applied shake the caliper with your hand it shouldnt move more than an eighth of an inch i work at an auto parts dc i ship dozens of these to shops a month oh yea and when i check them in the computer it says oe brackets have a high rate of failure mine failed replaced them and presto no more noise:D

najee1062 08-10-2010 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by goomzthegeneral (Post 7684718)
i just purchased the kit and the noise is gone as expected...its only 10 bucks anyway

Glad to hear goomzthegeneral.... I paid just that also, plus the $21 for the caliper rebuild kit. Rear brake never felt better for so little out of pocket.

Goomz 08-10-2010 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by najee1062 (Post 7685031)
Glad to hear goomzthegeneral.... I paid just that also, plus the $21 for the caliper rebuild kit. Rear brake never felt better for so little out of pocket.

you know whats funny is i was going to buy that caliper kit as well because the pad was sticking because the metal clips were worn out of position and i thought it was the caliper. but after the clips were swapped and replaced it feels and works great, and silence never sounded so sweet lol.

najee1062 08-10-2010 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by goomzthegeneral (Post 7685050)
you know whats funny is i was going to buy that caliper kit as well because the pad was sticking because the metal clips were worn out of position and i thought it was the caliper. but after the clips were swapped and replaced it feels and works great, and silence never sounded so sweet lol.

That's what i'm talking about... I'm glad everything work out and happy I was able to assist with this common problem that no one could help me with. I sure they're many more 4th gen going around with this problem.

Goomz 08-11-2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by najee1062 (Post 7685070)
That's what i'm talking about... I'm glad everything work out and happy I was able to assist with this common problem that no one could help me with. I sure they're many more 4th gen going around with this problem.

yeah i originally assumed it was something that was bolted to my rear subframe like a lca or sway bar bushing rusted and broken off, rattling over the bumps, but when i applied the brakes over bumps the rattle went away, so then i realized that it had to do w something with my brakes and actually without even taking the wheel off moved that clip around and put 1 and 1 together. i did double work tho, because i just replaced my rear pads and rotors about 2 weeks ago and had to take the caliper off yet again.

Daneek155 08-14-2010 06:00 PM

rear bushings

Jeff03maxima 11-15-2011 07:18 PM

Hi, i have an 03 Maxima SE and i just installed brand new calipers/brand new rotors. After i did the rear brakes now i hear this rattling/knocking noise. It sounds like the caliper is loose. I tourqed all the bolts and used blue loctite. So i know it's not loose.

The calipers came rebuilt loaded with new pads, all new hardware/shims/slide pins, boots, banjo bolts...it was a NISSAN oem caliper and they looked perfect! I cannot figure out why they are rattling?!?! My e-brake handle now goes up very high before it engages.

Do i need to adjust a little tension on the e-brake?

could they be rebuild poorly? or be defective?

Could it be the rear shocks or the shock mounts?

smai555 11-15-2011 08:26 PM

my eyes hurt so i didnt read though the WHOLE thread but i have a sound like that, its my exhaust bouncing on the crossbar right where it bends to go around the fuel tank

gen4maxrehab 11-17-2011 05:01 AM

i had this problem on both sides replaced pads and harware and the sound came back, it turned out the caliper brackets had too much space and the pads were bouncing i replaced both brackets and the noise is gone, the brackets are only 20 a piece from autozone well worth it to lose the noise hope this helps