4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Adding Heated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 11:25 AM

Adding Heated Seats

I replaced my interior with seats that have the heat coils in them. What parts do I need to add heated seats to my car? I'd need the switches that mount in the center console and I assume a wiring harness or two?? Anyone know what's required, possibly have part numbers and a good place to get them? Thanks.

Jeff Bjerke
97 SE 5-Speed
98 M3
91 NSX
Old 12-22-2003, 12:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Heated seats are one of the few things all Maximas are not prewired for. You need the switches and probably the wires that plug into the back of the switches. In a car that has heated seats stock the wires that plug into the back of the switches have to be cut to be removed. If you get he switches out of a junkyard car you can just cut off the wires and take the plugs too. This is how I got mine and probably your best bet.

I belive there are plugs to attach the switches to the seats also you could get these the same way or splice the wires from the switches.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:09 PM

I forgot to mention the cutout for the factory switches are marked on the underside of the center console. You can cut them out with a sharp utility knife or a dremel. The dealer will sell you switches but you will pay around $100 and I don’t think you will be able to get the plugs, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. The going price for used switches seems to be around $50, but you need the plugs and wires also.

Hit me with an email (there should be an email link under my post) and I will send you a PDF file with wiring diagrams or the Maxima including the heated seats.

Switches go here

This is the plug that goes into the back of the switch, 1 for each side. It has four wires, power, ground and two that go to the seat.

This is the plug in the back of the switch (please ignore the spilled coffee)
Old 12-22-2003, 02:09 PM

Stupid three pics rule...

And one very out of focus picture of the plug under the seat. Ignore the green wire in the foreground. Your seat should have a plug hanging down from it for the seat heaters (the grayish one in my pic). You will need a plug to go into the one on the seat The white one). It has three wires (if I remember right), two lead to the switch and the third is a ground. If you can't get this plug I think it would be fairly easy to splice the wires to hook up the seats.

Hey, I've been looking for that pen.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:53 PM

I want to add another question onto this thread:

What is the best way to purchase heated seats if your Maxima did not come with them.
Does one rip the heating element wiring out of a junkyard car or is there aftermarket kits. Also, is it an easy install.

Please let me know if anybody has any experience. My cold Minnesota butt will thank you.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:23 PM

Aftermarket heating elements are available but removing and reinstalling the seat covers is a PITA. If you are installing aftermarket leather this would be a perfect time to add heat elements.

The OEM heat elements are very expensive from the dealer. If you are going to get the element from a junkyard you might as well take the whole seat. While you are at it take the switches and plugs I showed in my post above. I think this would be the easiest way to add heated seats.

If you have factory heated seats and switches with the plugs install is pretty easy. I found a power source that was switched with the ignition and grounded the seats to a bolt under the center console because I coud not find the power/ground wires that where supposed to be for the heated seats.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:34 PM

heh, I've always wondered that spare dangling cable was under the drivers seat in my car. Now I know if I ever wanted to, I could install heated seats
Old 12-22-2003, 03:40 PM

Sorry, double post, feel free to delete this msg
Old 12-22-2003, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the info Anachronism. Maybe I'll try to get some seats in good condition from the junkyard. Heated seats are so nice.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff Bjerke
I replaced my interior with seats that have the heat coils in them. What parts do I need to add heated seats to my car? I'd need the switches that mount in the center console and I assume a wiring harness or two?? Anyone know what's required, possibly have part numbers and a good place to get them? Thanks.

Jeff Bjerke
97 SE 5-Speed
98 M3
91 NSX
Where'd you get your seats from? A junkyard? I have heated seats, but the passenger isn't powered so I'm looking for a powered passenger seat
Old 12-23-2003, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by JaTaN
Where'd you get your seats from? A junkyard? I have heated seats, but the passenger isn't powered so I'm looking for a powered passenger seat

I got a black leather interior out of a 99 GLE for my 97 SE. It has power on both sides and my 97 SE had the power connection on the passenger side.
If anyone wants a mint condition grey cloth interior (seats and door panels) make me an offer. Power on drivers side.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:31 PM

Hmm, Why does my driver seat have power and heat yet my passenger has neither?
Old 09-09-2010, 06:51 AM

Whats up!!!...i was trying to get an answer about heated seats, this is what i did to my max.....but the heated seats are not working....i installed the switches and added the power to the fuse box(10 amps)....how can i check to see what is wrong with them?????
Old 09-09-2010, 08:19 AM

hey guy i got a question to add to this i have swapped for a leather interior and i tried to hook up the heaters and ran out of time and had to sell the donor car premature i forgot the damn switches but the question is i know there are 4 wires per seat but what are the differences in the 2 power wires is it just 2 different heating coils that both run 12v or is it something else? i havent messed much with it for fear of hurting by beautiful leather but im not afraid to put my own switches in just wanted to know how it works.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Kevlo for President

I would check out the FSM to see what each wire means:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/
Old 09-09-2010, 01:08 PM

heated seats

Originally Posted by PGB25
Whats up!!!...i was trying to get an answer about heated seats, this is what i did to my max.....but the heated seats are not working....i installed the switches and added the power to the fuse box(10 amps)....how can i check to see what is wrong with them?????

yea but the diagram is no help to me.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 PM

make sure you installed them correctly and recheck all the power and ground connections and wires to make sure they are 100% right.

did you use the add a fuse when you installed them? and did you use the add a fuse to the mirrors?

i had my own writeup on here sumwhere that i did years ago... let me try and find it
Old 09-09-2010, 05:27 PM

yea but the diagram is no help to me.
you should use a tester light and start from where the power enters the circut and find out where it stops could be a simple as a bad switch or a connection