4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cheaper to get new HeadUnit or replace Bose?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:19 PM

Cheaper to get new HeadUnit or replace Bose?

OEM Bose headunit usualy goes for around 200$ here.

I dunno much about car audio equipment, but would it be cheaper to just get a new Head unit?

I heard theres some troubleshooting though with stock Bose speakers...?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:21 PM

yea and it will break again... id get a nice pioneer or something....
Old 09-05-2007, 05:23 PM

erm. I'd go with an aftermarket anyway just for more features than a Bose HU.

there are adapters u can buy at best buy or circuit city for like $14 so u can put an aftermarket radio in to work for your speakers.

chances are though the HU could blow out ya bose like mine did. i played it loud
Old 09-05-2007, 05:41 PM

aftermarket man come on its only 2007
Old 09-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Former Vendor

you should replace the speakers if you replace the bose, which you should. the bose hu does not have an internal amp. theres an amp on each speaker which have a low ohm load. the adapters are no recommended.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:49 PM

Whats wrong with your Bose head unit I just fixed mine a couple weeks ago.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:26 PM

The cd player is busted. It wont "eat" the cd's.

I tried messing with it today and got it to sense a CD inside (lazer eyes) but it still wont eat.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by shyheim07
erm. I'd go with an aftermarket anyway just for more features than a Bose HU.

there are adapters u can buy at best buy or circuit city for like $14 so u can put an aftermarket radio in to work for your speakers.

chances are though the HU could blow out ya bose like mine did. i played it loud
Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
you should replace the speakers if you replace the bose, which you should. the bose hu does not have an internal amp. theres an amp on each speaker which have a low ohm load. the adapters are no recommended.
So To replace, or not replace?

How much would this cost me overall? Im not willing to drop a 2 week paycheck on this POS car...lol (yes, 700 a month)
Old 09-05-2007, 07:02 PM

Replacing it with an aftermarket HU would be your best bet. Web site like http://www.crutchfield.com will give the OEM adapter for half the price(which is 39.99 regularly) if you buy HU that costs more than 129. So basically you can get a nice aftermarket HU for less than 200 depending which HU you buy. Most people have success without replacing speakers. Actually they say bose speakers sound better with an aftermarket HU. Thus, for less than 200 you can get a nice aftermarket HU with plenty features and be all set. And no don't get another bose replacement cause it will break soon anyway.
Of course, if you're low on cash you can add an aux input to bose HU for an IPOD or MP3 player like I did and it won't cost you a more than $10. Just my advice and hope it helps
Old 09-05-2007, 10:01 PM

i just replaced my bose...the eject button fell off and the display went out so couldnt switch cd's or see what station i was on...i had to get a adaptor called a hi/lo converter...it sounds amazing....too loud for me personally
Old 09-05-2007, 10:11 PM

My cd player had a static sound to it but my radio and casette player didn't. It turned out that my laser was bad and I just needed it replaced. I kept the head unit and had the laser replaced and it has been working great ever since. They said that the laser is the part of the radio that only lasts for about 6 years.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by WildMax87
i just replaced my bose...the eject button fell off and the display went out so couldnt switch cd's or see what station i was on...i had to get a adaptor called a hi/lo converter...it sounds amazing....too loud for me personally

which one did you get?

Would be nice to see some setups+prices.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:37 PM
xMx

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath

I dunno much about car audio equipment, but would it be cheaper to just get a new Head unit?

Yeah. i would go for the aftermarket i dont really trust Bose speakers.
Its a personal thing but ehhhh.... i think aftermarket is better in all ways. haha
Old 09-05-2007, 10:51 PM

The more modern way is to add an iPod interface. I installed an iCruze iPod interface from MonsterCable and it mimics a CD changer. Haven't used the CD drive ever since.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Divewjason
My cd player had a static sound to it but my radio and casette player didn't. It turned out that my laser was bad and I just needed it replaced. I kept the head unit and had the laser replaced and it has been working great ever since. They said that the laser is the part of the radio that only lasts for about 6 years.
Laser itself cannot introduce static. It is only reading pits (dark) and flats (bright) into ones and zeros. Each string of ones and zero digitized music data also has an error checking data attached. The CPU inside the drive rejects any errors as unreadable CD. When the laser fails, it can no long recognize bright and dark spots and your CD appears as unreadable.

But the interface from the drive into the pre-amp board is analog. The failure of this interface is frequently due to contact oxidation of the cable connector. This appears as increase resistance in the wire. The signal will be too weak when it arrives at the pre-amp board. Then the amplifier boost the music signal along with noise.

The simple way of fixing it is by unplugging then replugging the drive cable inside the HU. This is simply wiping the cable contact across the tin-lead connector contact by cutting into the oxide layer formed after several years in the car.

http://archives.sensorsmag.com/artic...0/78/index.htm
http://www.connectorsupplier.com/tec...ce_1-23-07.htm

Also, many people say Bose HU. But in reality these are Clarion HU in our 4G. The Bose name on the cassette flap is just to let you know the car has Bose amps and speakers. The Bose amp for 4G is typically mounted on the speaker. The power relay for these amps is in the passenger side kick panel. When I installed BT handsfree in my car, I tapped into this relay to mute the music.

So Bose get a bad name because the Clarion HU fails. Actually they are some of the best amplifiers for our cars.

And yes, my car has BT handsfree, iPod interface and hardwired GPS. All done without removing the nice Clarion Bose system. That is not to say the Clarion HU had been trouble free.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:05 AM
Former Vendor

i would change it out, but thats because i need stuff like rca out puts and video. you could probably put together a nice system (hu, component fronts, 2/4 channel amp, 3 way 6x9s) for a weeks work if you buy smart. but the bose is a nice system if you just need good sound. its all about what you want out of you system. www.carstereohelp.com will fix your bose or buy your system which can help pad the cost of replacing.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I replaced the Bose HU with a JVC-KDR and a adapter from crutchfield.com. I also keep the stock speakers. The sound is much clearer than the the stock Bose HU.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:49 PM

Replace it with an aftermarket. My factory bose's CD player doesnt work anymore and the tape deck plays when it wants to. My radio works but sometimes the screen on it doesnt come on and is completely blacked out. Im replacing mine when I have the money to do it. For now I have a tape adapter and a portable cd player that skips. Its not fun.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by dashan
I replaced the Bose HU with a JVC-KDR and a adapter from crutchfield.com. I also keep the stock speakers. The sound is much clearer than the the stock Bose HU.
Whats the adapter called?

Also i cant seem to find that radio on crutchfield.com.

EDIT: Also, where do you guys get the extra slot/pocket to cover the hole for a smaller reciever?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:11 PM

How's this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-KW-XG700-DOU...QQcmdZViewItem

has one of the best reviews on Crutchfield.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:19 PM

I got a OEM Bose, works perfectly fine. 100 plus shipping which should be 20 bucks no more. PM me if your interested.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:51 PM

Take it to your local custom shop, let them listen to the cd player. There may be a possiblity that all you need is a new laser. I did that with my cd player and it fixed everything.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Divewjason
Take it to your local custom shop, let them listen to the cd player. There may be a possiblity that all you need is a new laser. I did that with my cd player and it fixed everything.
hehehe, if they told you they replaced the laser, you been had. Laser's job in a CD is only to illuminate the pits and flats on the surface of the CD like a light bulb. If your drive can play music at all, the laser is working correctly. Here is some info on how this work:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cd5.htm

Since any error in digital data cannot be reconstructed into music, it will show up as skip or unreadable CD; noise or static is introduced in analog stage after the data is already read correctly and reconstructed into music. This is likely to happen where the CD drive feeds the analog music signal to the HU pre-amp/amp board.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:29 PM

How's this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JVC-KW-XG700-DOU...QQcmdZViewItem

has one of the best reviews on Crutchfield.
bumppppppppp
Old 09-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, I own a 95 maxima with a Clarion Bose system, the front speakers are blown so I replaced them with JBL GTOs and then a new Pioneer HU, but left the back speakers which were initially amplified, but now I'm having troubles with the sound. The speakers are all static and I get more highs than I need. Are there anything I can do to fix this?

I have the maxima set up with a JBL amp and 12" sub that sounds great.
Using an aftermarket wire harness and antennae adapter including an iPod adapter. This is all connected to a Pioneer 5900ib.

If anyone can give me advice about fixing this problem it'd be great. The speakers sounded nice when I ran it on the Clarion HU but wanted the amp/sub that's why I opted for the Pioneer deck.

Thanx in advance.

[edit] after reading abit, I found out that the speakers are amplified from the factory set-up. As far as I know, the rear decks are still in and they are certainly amplified. I'm just wondering if I need to add new wires to drive the new speakers and allow the old ones to run. I read that it is possible to do this set-up with add-on harnesses that sit in to convert the signals hi/lo sorta stuff but the real question is if there is a single amp unit that sits somewhere in the car aside from the speakers and if I can actually remove it so I can power the speakers directly from the new Pioneer HU. This question rises because when I plan to power all the speakers after the rear decks are done ('cause they still sound nice--and saves me money) I won't be using the factory amp anymore and I can remove it to avoid wasting unnecessary power.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:19 PM

Whats the adapter called?

Also i cant seem to find that radio on crutchfield.com.

EDIT: Also, where do you guys get the extra slot/pocket to cover the hole for a smaller reciever?
bumppppppp
Old 09-23-2007, 10:24 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

There are two adapters you can use, the scosche from crutchfield, or the metra 70-7551 which you can find through google.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Get an aftermarket. Discard the Blose!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 06:00 PM

Most of the bose issues can be fixed with a bit of work.

So far I've fixed the screen (very easy to do, you just need to resolder a resistor), and added an AUX in that I use with my Zen Mp3 player.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by HobHayward
Most of the bose issues can be fixed with a bit of work.

So far I've fixed the screen (very easy to do, you just need to resolder a resistor), and added an AUX in that I use with my Zen Mp3 player.
Totally agree with that. I fixed the volume control on mind.

Really interested in the detail of how you added AUX to the Clarion/Bose HU. I installed the MonsterCable iCruze box that used the CD changer connection for an iPod interface. Now I have a non-functional CD chnager in the trunk.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:45 AM
wants an I35

how difficult is it to get the display to start working again?

seems like a loose connection...
Old 09-25-2007, 02:07 PM

Remove the top and bottom metal covers, then pull the faceplate off gently.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bose Adapter

I just bought a 99 maxima yesterday and I'm looking to install my old system. I ordered the adapter off crutchfield and had a question....Will I run into any problems running the remote wire to my aftermarket amp that powers my subs with this adapter since the amps for the bose speakers need the remote turn on? Also has anyone had problems installing an aftermarket head unit along with a seperate amp/sub?
Old 10-25-2007, 03:10 PM

i bought a 99 pathfinder from ebay for like 70 shipped. look for lkqonline member. They have crap loads of parts for all types of cars
Old 10-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by rkk35
I just bought a 99 maxima yesterday and I'm looking to install my old system. I ordered the adapter off crutchfield and had a question....Will I run into any problems running the remote wire to my aftermarket amp that powers my subs with this adapter since the amps for the bose speakers need the remote turn on? Also has anyone had problems installing an aftermarket head unit along with a seperate amp/sub?
The remote signal should work well. Usually the "remote on" output signal of an aftermarket HU is strong enough to "turn on" at least two units. One is your Blose amp and the other one is your aftermarket amp for sub. Should be no problem.

I use an aftermarket HU, an equalizer and Blose amps/speakers. The HU is able to "turn on" both equalizer and Blose amps without any problem.

If it does not work, just add a relay on the "remote on" signal.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:51 PM

I wish to replace my Bose unit on the 98 SE Maxima model.

My current issues are:
Two preset buttons have fallen off
The volume goes to max often and has difficulty returning to a normal level, which seems to be a common issue.
I listen to lots of podcasts and various learning applications via an iPhone and would like to tie into the vehicle's audio instead.
Listening to a iPhone via one of the two earbuds may be illegal and I would rather not attract attention.

As the vehicle has 220K miles on it, along with a number of minor issues, I wish to replace with a fair unit, such as Pioneer, JVC, etc but not spend more than $100-$120. I do not need CD/DVD/Satellite or navigation. I need a basic unit that has enough power to listen at reasonable volumes and can connect to my iPhone 4S. I "may" get rid of the car this year should a major repair be needed.

Can someone provide me a recommendation for a head unit and what adapter I might need? An earlier post recommends " the scosche from crutchfield, or the metra 70-7551 " Is that still valid?

Cheers mates
Old 02-15-2014, 05:54 PM

Bose head unit only 20 bucks at junkyard. Practically brand new.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:00 PM

Than you for the quick reply. I need to find a junkyard. I am also looking at

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR8...KD-R850BT.html

as it comes with the install kit
Old 02-15-2014, 11:08 PM

The JVC radio looks like a nice unit and will work in the Maxima with the proper adapters. The Metra wire harness adapter 70-7551 is the one you want.

There are 2 more things you will need. You will need an adapter for the antenna, Metra # 40NI10. You will also need something to fill the hole left in the console when you remove the double din Bose and put in the single din JVC. Metra has a "pocket" (# 98-7499) that would fill that space, but I don't know if it would work with the adapter that comes from Crutchfield. You would have to ask the Crutchfield people about that.

Bose speakers in the car are not industry standard speakers like the JVC is designed for. You will probably need to get line adapters (or equalizer) for the speakers so the sound isn't distorted. There is one made by PAC, the ROEM-NIS2. It costs $35 & up depending on where you buy it. If you do buy it, you do not need the Metra 70-7551 adapter.

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=26

Talk to the Crutchfield people about these points.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:20 AM

NOW, i remember why i hated the blose stereo. thank god i got a touch screen with dvd and bt, sooo much nicer and sound quality is alot better. if you upgrade the hu, upgrade the speakers as well, the headache you gotta go through to adapt the speakers and all that crap isn't worth it imo. i put a whole new wiring harness in with jl's and an alpine 600 watt 5 channel amp, i also have a nice little thumper in the trunk. i had to do it in stages, so i went with hu and speakers, amp and sub later. do it this way and you'll love it in the end.

Quick Reply: Cheaper to get new HeadUnit or replace Bose?