4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th Gen Maxima: All Int Lights Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

4th Gen Maxima: All Int Lights Not Working

Hoping for some insight before I take the car (1997 Maxima) to the stealership

All the lights for the interior of my car do not work. A mechanic at STS spent 30 minutes on the car and could not find the source of the problem (I was not charged). Here is the detailed background:

A while back, one of two of my Map Lights (the two lights closest to the inside rear view mirror) burnt out. Last week, the other light burnt out. I took out one bulb. I went to NAPA Auto Parts. I showed them one burnt out bulb and they sold me item number BP1895 (http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...895_0387793447)

I installed one bulb, although I did not get a snug fit. It lit up. I removed dead bulb #2. I tried to install new bulb #2. In the process, new bulb #1 went out... as did the interior light (the one that goes on and off when you open or close a door) and (discovered later) the four lights along side the four doors.

In another thread in this forum, I read that fuse #26 may have been blown.

Rather than screw something else up, I took he car to the local STS that I have been using for over twenty five years. They could not solve the problem...

They checked all fuses, etc. They spent about a half hour on the car. I was not charged a fee. They installed the two new bulbs for me but, of course, there is no current going to the bulbs.

They then said the words that cause an instant headache.

Take it to the dealership... Ugh...

I, obviously, am clumsy, but even I thought I could tackle a simple bulb replacement. Those clips and the narrow working space are not an easy combination.

Here are some of my uneducated thoughts and questions:

If, somehow, I mangled the clips (yesterday) that hold each of the two bulbs as to cause this significant problem, the clips were seemingly "healthy" enough (today) to allow the STS mechanic to insert the two bulbs.

What else is on this "electrical circuit", outside of the four lights along the inside bottom of my four doors, the two map lights and the interior light that goes on/off when a door opens/closes?

I'm hoping that, if some strong theories surface, I can take the car back to STS and have them diagnose the theory before I am forced to goto the stealership

The car has over 180K miles, has some minor rusting and not worth a large expense. The only option that I have is to hopefully get a "good lead" from some of you folks here and run with it...

Thanks, in advance, for your help
Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 AM

Did you check the BCM fuse in the fuse box under the hood? That can cause all lights not to work as well.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 02-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, Aflion, for the suggestion.

What other symptoms, other than the interior lights being No-Op, would a bad BCM fuse cause? For that fuse to be checked, I'd need to take it to my "Non-Stealership" mechanic, who was kind enough not to charge me this morning. Sorry for the request for follow up here...
Old 02-19-2014, 01:14 PM

Not sure on that one, I just know that the BCM controls those lights. Not sure on what else it controls. But it's easy to get to and check. If you have a fuse puller, or even pliers, you can check it yourself. Just pull it out, and if it's bad, the metal strip inside the plastic housing wont be connected anymore.

Posted from Maxima.org App for Android
Old 02-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Check the dimmer switch.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

njmaxseltd: Assuming you mean that I should make sure that the dimmer setting is not set to "off", that is not the culprit. When trying to insert map light #2, saw the other lights in the car go out. They have not come back.

njmaxseltd - are you from NJ? I live in Monmouth County, NJ. Do you recommend a place that might be able to help me out?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:40 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Sorry, can't recommend anyone. Make sure the dimmer itself didn't burn out. You'll need a multi meter.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Sorry, can't recommend anyone. Make sure the dimmer itself didn't burn out. You'll need a multi meter.
Dimmer switch operation is not relevant to the door / map / dome lights iirc
Old 02-20-2014, 07:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Resolved

First mechanic mis-diagnosed that Fuse #26 was blown. When I inserted map bulb #2 (as described above), I apparently bent something in such a way that caused the fuse to blow again and again.

Of value to future folks who may stumble on this thread, apparently, Fuse 26 (7,5 A) only carries the four lights at the bottom of your door, the light that goes on and off when you open your door and the two map lights which, if they ever burn out, you should have Edward Scissorhands replace before you ask me...
Old 02-20-2014, 08:15 AM

It's good to see that you got the problem fixed.

I'd like to throw my .02 in about the map lights. The bulbs you got from Napa are not the correct ones. They are much dimmer than what was originally put in there. Nissan designed a special bulb for the map light and because of this, there is no number such as BP1895 or 168 or 921 or 157. Therefore you can't get it at an auto parts store. it is only available through the dealer. The Nissan part number is 26232-F1100 and cost about $2 each.

You could put in an LED, but the bulb socket is wired in reverse, which is probably why you caused the fuse to blow. But the reverse wiring makes it tricky to get an led to work.

pm Amerikaner83, he sells leds that will work.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik

I'd like to throw my .02 in about the map lights. The bulbs you got from Napa are not the correct ones. They are much dimmer than what was originally put in there. Nissan designed a special bulb for the map light and because of this, there is no number such as BP1895 or 168 or 921 or 157. Therefore you can't get it at an auto parts store. it is only available through the dealer. The Nissan part number is 26232-F1100 and cost about $2 each.

You could put in an LED, but the bulb socket is wired in reverse, which is probably why you caused the fuse to blow. But the reverse wiring makes it tricky to get an led to work.

Dennis is correct - 4th and 5th gen for sure have the MAP lights wired "in reverse" of what they normally are. Although I think that since the map sockets always get power, OP probabaly used a metal screwdriver or something to twist/pry the old bulb out, and thus, shorted the socket, blowing the fuse each time.

It's a common mistake...they CAN NOT TOUCH or the fuse will blow.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DennisMik

Damn, dude. You should rename yourself to MrSpockVQ lol

Yoda voice: Deep with this one, Maxima knowledge runs.