Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Just my luck... :( (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/640276-just-my-luck.html)

kroze 10-04-2011 04:17 PM

Just my luck... :(

After I just got done doing the 120k miles maintenance on my car which include: Seafoam, Oil & filter, transmission fluid, air filter, spark plugs, PCV valve, fuel filter, Alternator belt, & Power steering belt. It drove like a brand new car for over 200 miles but now...The car gave me these 2 codes:

P1320 - Cylinder 2 misfire detected
P0302 - Ignition signal

The car sounds and looks like it runs on 5 cylinders so I assume the coil pack is bad :mad:

The problem is pretty much non existent when I'm on the highway.

Should I just go ahead and replace all 6 coil packs since they're going to slowly go out one by one?

tigersharkdude 10-04-2011 04:20 PM

one thing: OEM coil packs or BUST

kroze 10-04-2011 04:29 PM

I thought they are notorious for failing (OEM coil packs)

xtremepb0 10-04-2011 04:38 PM

It might be that seafoam, I've heard really bad things about it. But if you do the coils packs listen to Brad (tigersharkdude)

95Maxed 10-04-2011 04:40 PM

your car shouldn't be misfiring at high speed, that's why it goes away on the highway. Im in the same boat, cylinder 2 is misfiring in my car. I changed the coil pack but to no avail, the mechanic thinks its somewhere else down the electrical line that leads to that coil pack. Hoping to solve the issue soon, but first things first, goto autozone and get a coilpack for 70 bucks and change it. You need a allen key and a phillips head, it takes 5 minutes. See if that helps.

Snypa 10-04-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by 95Maxed (Post 8225588)
your car shouldn't be misfiring at high speed, that's why it goes away on the highway. Im in the same boat, cylinder 2 is misfiring in my car. I changed the coil pack but to no avail, the mechanic thinks its somewhere else down the electrical line that leads to that coil pack. Hoping to solve the issue soon, but first things first, goto autozone and get a coilpack for 70 bucks and change it. You need a allen key and a phillips head, it takes 5 minutes. See if that helps.

:sprint:

kroze 10-04-2011 08:20 PM

the problem come and goes....

kroze 10-04-2011 08:22 PM

Can I test to see if the coil pack is bad by pulling the plug on the coil pack itself? IF it is indeed the bad coil pack (engine running on 5 cylinders), when i pull the plug, the engine should continue to run the same as before i pull the plug...

ES_Kev 10-04-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by kroze (Post 8225967)
Can I test to see if the coil pack is bad by pulling the plug on the coil pack itself? IF it is indeed the bad coil pack (engine running on 5 cylinders), when i pull the plug, the engine should continue to run the same as before i pull the plug...

Yea you can try that first. If that indeed is the problem, get a used OEM coil from a 95-98 model, $10-20 depending. Some people have reported problems with aftermarket coils.

You can also swap the coils around, if the code follows the coil than you know its faulty.

max ride 41 10-04-2011 10:24 PM

umm, injector anyone??? coil packs in my 95 are 226,000 old and i've only had to replace the injectors.

infinimax96 10-05-2011 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41 (Post 8226071)
umm, injector anyone??? coil packs in my 95 are 226,000 old and i've only had to replace the injectors.

the 95-96 had better Coil packs. The 99 was notorious for bad coil packs. It's more then likely the pack.

Noruthun 10-05-2011 06:01 AM

I agree with max_ride_41. I had the same code and it turned out to be the fuel injector.

kroze 10-05-2011 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Noruthun (Post 8226177)
I agree with max_ride_41. I had the same code and it turned out to be the fuel injector.

Now that you guys mentioned it, I just recently seafoamed the car. I poured about 4 fluid oz into the gas tank of seafoam as recommended on the bottle.

It could possibly by the seafoam breaking something loose along the line and now got the injector stuck.

Yesterday when the car was running on 5 cylinders, I hammered down on the gas pedal and took the car to almost redline. Almost instantly the car runs perfect on 6 cylinders. It's almost as if whatever that was stuck on the injectors got freed when I slam on the gas pedal.

The car is running perfect right now...but I hope the problem doesn't come back.

cashoit 10-05-2011 10:13 AM

Chevron Techron FTW!!!

See sig

luke95gxe 10-05-2011 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit (Post 8226371)
Chevron Techron FTW!!!

See sig

oh how i knew u would chime in on this with that statement cash :laugh:

TravisCadello 10-06-2011 10:26 PM

our injector love to be taken care of so a bottle of chevron techron injector cleaner is a must at least twice a year.

i put a bottle of chevron cleaner and lucas injector cleaner together on a full tank of gas every 3 months and no miss fires on my 99.

another thing on the miss fires if theirs a miss fire and its not the injector nor the coil in that cyl don't automatically think its a electrical short cause i did on two cyls not firing and ripped my entire hardness down for nothing.

its very rare but our ecus have like resistors for our coil pack signals and mine had 2 burnt out. replaced ecu and bam not a single problem.

beegeezy 10-07-2011 01:31 AM

Personally, I think fuel injector cleaners are a big rip off. Gasoline is a pretty damn strong solvent by itself. Do you really think pouring some other kind of solvent in the gas tank is going to help? When injectors get old they need to be replaced or maybe sent in to a place like RC Engineering. Injectors don't only get clogged, they leak too. Sometimes things are just defective.

OP, if it happens again try switching your coil packs around to see if it affects the cylinder that is misfiring. Eliminating the properly functioning components from the equation is a lot cheaper than just replacing things on a whim.