Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Crusie Control not working...HELP... (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/643557-crusie-control-not-working-help.html)

MaxiNone 12-30-2011 08:51 AM

Crusie Control not working...HELP...

about 6 months ago i replaced my cig lighter plug along with the fuse. after everything was hooked up and working, a few days later i noticed that my cruise control wasnt working. the plug wasnt working or plugged in since i had bought the car (about 3yrs prior) so i dont know if the reason it wasnt pluged in when i bought the car was due to the cruise control working. at the moment my plug isnt connected and the CC does not work. i tried looking for a fuse under the dash but cant find it. i dont know if the cig lighter plug has anything to do with it but i just find it weird that i got the car with plug not working and CC worked then i fix it with a new one and it stops working. any ideas on what it could be?...

DennisMik 12-30-2011 03:26 PM

The fuse that powers the cruise control also powers other things like the backup lights. Do the backup lights work?

Another possible cause is the switch on the brake pedal or the clutch pedal. There is a rubber bumper that dries up and falls out, so the switch never gets operated.

burts 01-01-2012 10:28 AM

My cruise cntrl is also not working, id better chk that too

Snypa 01-01-2012 10:34 AM

if the light still lights up, but cruise just doesn't engage, check the stoppers on the brake pedals.

MaxiNone 01-02-2012 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik (Post 8314807)
The fuse that powers the cruise control also powers other things like the backup lights. Do the backup lights work?

Another possible cause is the switch on the brake pedal or the clutch pedal. There is a rubber bumper that dries up and falls out, so the switch never gets operated.

my reverse lights do work, and that rubber thing did dry up and fall out but it only cost me a penny to fix it lol...

Originally Posted by Snypa (Post 8316131)
if the light still lights up, but cruise just doesn't engage, check the stoppers on the brake pedals.

this is exactly whats going on, CC light comes on and it doesnt engage. i fixed the rubber thing that the brke peddle had, and now that you and dennis mentioned the rubber thing i think this may have something to do with it. maybe i'll add another penny to it lol...

VQnismo 01-02-2012 05:45 PM

In my case it was the switch on the steering wheel that did not work; replaced it with one from the yard and worked fine, since then no problems at all.

+1 for checking brake switch first. Had a Frontier and it was the problem...had to adjusted.

DennisMik 01-02-2012 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiNone (Post 8316978)
this is exactly whats going on, CC light comes on and it doesnt engage. i fixed the rubber thing that the brke peddle had, and now that you and dennis mentioned the rubber thing i think this may have something to do with it. maybe i'll add another penny to it lol...

When you do that, check to see that the pedal does not rest on the switch, i.e., that there is still a little bit of play in the plunger of the switch. If the pedal rests against the switch, the switch will eventually break. The switch is threaded for adjusting. In fact, you don't have to add the penney, adjust the switch.

Phromethius 01-03-2012 09:15 AM

sorry to piggy back off this topic but what if your Dashboard cruise control switch doesn't come on? I heard a while back that this is a voltage regulator issue?

whitemaximaSE 01-03-2012 02:35 PM

good luck bro

JAmerican 03-04-2012 05:59 PM

Fixed my cruise control for $1 with a bolt and a nut. The bolt I had lying around and the wing nut cost $1 for 2. I don't recommend a wing nut because it's very difficult to get it keep the bolt in place because of the location of the hole in the brake that touches the ASCD Stop (Cruise) Switch. Anyway, my cruise works but it feels flaky and it won't hold the speed I sent it at. Like if I had it at 45 mph, it will drop to 40 mph over time. Very weird. I guess I'm not used to cruise control.

MaxiNone 03-12-2012 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik (Post 8317449)
When you do that, check to see that the pedal does not rest on the switch, i.e., that there is still a little bit of play in the plunger of the switch. If the pedal rests against the switch, the switch will eventually break. The switch is threaded for adjusting. In fact, you don't have to add the penney, adjust the switch.

o havent had time to mess with the brake switch but i think i'll try this first. it seemslike a 5min fix so i'll mess with it when i get off of work tonight and check back to report :)

MaxiNone 05-29-2012 09:41 AM

i added the extra penny and nothing :/. when i was changing the plugs i came across the cruise control module (or whatever its called) thats bolted to the fire wall and noticed it loose. i remembered that after i did the valve cover swap last year that thats when the cruise control stopped working. could it be that i did not put the cables back on wrong? i checked everything and it all seems to be put back ok, any advise on this?

GGENIUS 05-29-2012 09:48 AM

screw cruise control honestly.

MaxiNone 05-30-2012 11:59 AM

^^^at first thats what i told myself, but after time it gets annoying especially when i drive 50 miles day. plus cruise control will help me with a bit better gas mileage

infinimax96 05-30-2012 12:09 PM

My cruise works but if I press the clutch in, the cruise light blinks at me. Not sure why..

bobflood 05-30-2012 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by infinimax96 (Post 8493345)
My cruise works but if I press the clutch in, the cruise light blinks at me. Not sure why..

The cruise is supposed to disengage when you put on the brakes or depress the clutch pedal.

infinimax96 05-30-2012 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by bobflood (Post 8493437)
The cruise is supposed to disengage when you put on the brakes or depress the clutch pedal.

Well yeah... :rolleyes: If it didn't you'd just keep accelerating. What I'm getting at is the light blinks when the clutch is engaged even if the cruise is not currently set.

An example would be: I just took the freeway off ramp. I disengage the cruise set and come to a stop. Now I'm driving on city roads. Even though my cruise is not set or in use the cruise light will flash whenever I put the clutch in. Not sure if that's normal. My i30 doesn't do it but it's also an Auto, so I wouldn't know the difference.