4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Checklist for brake fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:44 PM

Checklist for brake fluid leak

I have a high mileage 1998 GLE (202k miles) with a suddenly occurring brake fluid leak. It drops from maximum to minimum (brake light comes on) in about three days. The pedal feels normal. The master cylinder had been replaced by a reputable shop about two years ago and does not appear to be leaking. It also had some other brake maintenance done about six years ago by a not so reputable shop.

I already planned some brake maintenance and upgrades so I have new brake hoses, caliper rebuild kits, StopTech street performance pads and high performance brake fluid so the timing of this problem is good. My question is what other sources of leaks can there be beside the master cylinder, calipers, hoses and steel lines? I wanted to be sure I knew where to look before I put the car on jack stands.

Last edited by rbuswell; 10-27-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by rbuswell
I have a high mileage 1998 GLE (202k miles) with a suddenly occurring brake fluid leak. It drops from maximum to minimum (brake light comes on) in about three days. The pedal feels normal. The master cylinder had been replaced by a reputable shop about two years ago and does not appear to be leaking. It also had some other brake maintenance done about six years ago by a not so reputable shop.

I already planned some brake maintenance and upgrades so I have new brake hoses, caliper rebuild kits, StopTech street performance pads and high performance brake fluid so the timing of this problem is good. My question is what other sources of leaks can there be beside the master cylinder, calipers, hoses and steel lines? I wanted to be sure I knew where to look before I put the car on jack stands.
every break system ive ever had to repair leaks on, was allways one of the places you have listed...and seeing you are going through a considerable amount of break fluid every few days, i would think you would see drips somewhere on the ground..keep us posted on what you ultimately find is the culprit......good luck in your search
Old 10-27-2014, 09:09 PM

check the calipers, soft brake lines, hard brake lines, and brake booster. if the diaphragm on the brake booster is busted it can leak fluid into it
Old 10-27-2014, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by max-nutcase
every break system ive ever had to repair leaks on, was allways one of the places you have listed...and seeing you are going through a considerable amount of break fluid every few days, i would think you would see drips somewhere on the ground..keep us posted on what you ultimately find is the culprit......good luck in your search
you cracked me up. you read the post title. you read the post yet you
misspelled brake the two times you used it in your post
Old 10-28-2014, 09:13 AM

Two more good ideas ... thanks

Originally Posted by max-nutcase
I haven't seen any brake fluid on the ground yet but I agree, that is a lot! I'm kind of leaning toward calipers since the pedal seems firm.

Originally Posted by chrome91
check the calipers, soft brake lines, hard brake lines, and brake booster. if the diaphragm on the brake booster is busted it can leak fluid into it
I didn't know the booster can leak. I will check that out as well.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by flynlr
you cracked me up. you read the post title. you read the post yet you
misspelled brake the two times you used it in your post
i dont pay attention to the small things
Old 10-29-2014, 06:15 AM

Jack it up and inspect your car's brake system....Look for signs of a leak everywhere you listed! Check that it's not a simple loose coupling or banjo bolt...If your loosing all that fluid in 3 days there's an obvious leak that's visible even too Stevie Wonder! I'm trying to understand some of us on this org with posting without even taking the time to look or inspect the problem before hand...Inspect your vehicles then if you're still lost, then post your problem!
Old 11-03-2014, 09:11 AM

Just trying to minimize the frustration

Originally Posted by CMax03
Jack it up and inspect your car's brake system....Look for signs of a leak everywhere you listed! Check that it's not a simple loose coupling or banjo bolt...If your loosing all that fluid in 3 days there's an obvious leak that's visible even too Stevie Wonder! I'm trying to understand some of us on this org with posting without even taking the time to look or inspect the problem before hand...Inspect your vehicles then if you're still lost, then post your problem!
Sorry that my post exasperated you Cmax03. I just didn't want to miss all the ways the system could be leaking or start taking things apart when they obviously aren't the cause.

I actually have another daily driver that's on the fritz too so I'm doing a lot of juggling just to get us around as a family. I don't have a level place to have two cars on jack stands at the same time. Working on old, high mileage cars can be fun and it saves a lot of money over buying new all the time but it can also be frustrating when the "perfect storm" hits causing multiple car outages.

I wanted to make one more comment that you guys may use as a clue to my problem. Since I have the other car on the fritz, the Maxima sat for about three days without being driven or even looked at and it didn't lose any brake fluid at all. That would seem to point to something pressure related, as in it is happening only when the pedal is pushed. That could explain why there is no fluid on the ground. Any input?
Old 11-03-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by rbuswell
Sorry that my post exasperated you Cmax03. I just didn't want to miss all the ways the system could be leaking or start taking things apart when they obviously aren't the cause.

I actually have another daily driver that's on the fritz too so I'm doing a lot of juggling just to get us around as a family. I don't have a level place to have two cars on jack stands at the same time. Working on old, high mileage cars can be fun and it saves a lot of money over buying new all the time but it can also be frustrating when the "perfect storm" hits causing multiple car outages.

I wanted to make one more comment that you guys may use as a clue to my problem. Since I have the other car on the fritz, the Maxima sat for about three days without being driven or even looked at and it didn't lose any brake fluid at all. That would seem to point to something pressure related, as in it is happening only when the pedal is pushed. That could explain why there is no fluid on the ground. Any input?
Then jump in that **** and press the brake pedal and look for a leak! Unless your driveway is more than 45 degrees of incline chock the rear wheels, put the parking brake on and place jack stands in the front!!! then if it's necesssary to do the rears chock the front wheels, and jack up the rear and place jack stands and secure..... You'll be ok!