Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Charging problem. (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/646865-charging-problem.html)

Wholebrooks 03-15-2012 09:01 PM

Charging problem.

So, my max is having a little bit of charging problems. I got a battery from Nissan about a year and a half ago.

I'm an automotive technician and usually regurlarly have access to my tools and equipment but I'm out of the area with my max.

Drove a good 50 miles this morning fine, drove about 15 miles on my lunch, too. I got off work and my car died about a mile from the training center I'm at, right before the on ramp to the freeway, too, in the middle of an intersection. Pushed it into a parking lot... battery was dead. Got it jumped, and drove about 10 miles with radio not working, abs light on, airbag light flickering, and car bogging occasionaly. Must be a problem with my charging system.

Got to a shop I used to work at and parked, car wouldn't restart. The only thing I have on my car not stock that could affect anything electrical is my nitrous setup, so I removed it all.

Jumped it again, and it died in about 5 minutes idling. put a charger on the battery for a good hour, checked all fuses while charging the battery, good. Got about 1 mile down the street and the car died. I figured my alternator must surely be done, 155k miles on it.

So, I get it jumped again. Got about 10 miles to where I'm staying, lights on, radio on, phone charging, defroster on, no problems. Stopped at a gas station, car started right up after I turned it off.

It starts up fine now but I'm taking another vehicle tomorrow just in case.

My alternator belt is pretty tight, battery's not that old, all the fuses are good, should I look anywhere else before I buy a new alternator? Thanks

ChrisMan287 03-15-2012 09:07 PM

Sounds like your alternator is shot to me.

infinimax96 03-15-2012 10:27 PM

Battery no charge = Alternator no working.

Wholebrooks 03-16-2012 09:14 PM

Well, ordered an alternator this morning, got out of training, headed back to my shop, and put the alternator in. Car fixed! For now...

infinimax96 03-16-2012 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wholebrooks (Post 8403915)
Well, ordered an alternator this morning, got out of training, headed back to my shop, and put the alternator in. Car fixed! For now...

+1

jlbankston 03-22-2012 05:01 PM

sounds like a bad alternator not the belts

Originally Posted by Wholebrooks (Post 8402585)
So, my max is having a little bit of charging problems. I got a battery from Nissan about a year and a half ago.

I'm an automotive technician and usually regurlarly have access to my tools and equipment but I'm out of the area with my max.

Drove a good 50 miles this morning fine, drove about 15 miles on my lunch, too. I got off work and my car died about a mile from the training center I'm at, right before the on ramp to the freeway, too, in the middle of an intersection. Pushed it into a parking lot... battery was dead. Got it jumped, and drove about 10 miles with radio not working, abs light on, airbag light flickering, and car bogging occasionaly. Must be a problem with my charging system.

Got to a shop I used to work at and parked, car wouldn't restart. The only thing I have on my car not stock that could affect anything electrical is my nitrous setup, so I removed it all.

Jumped it again, and it died in about 5 minutes idling. put a charger on the battery for a good hour, checked all fuses while charging the battery, good. Got about 1 mile down the street and the car died. I figured my alternator must surely be done, 155k miles on it.

So, I get it jumped again. Got about 10 miles to where I'm staying, lights on, radio on, phone charging, defroster on, no problems. Stopped at a gas station, car started right up after I turned it off.

It starts up fine now but I'm taking another vehicle tomorrow just in case.

My alternator belt is pretty tight, battery's not that old, all the fuses are good, should I look anywhere else before I buy a new alternator? Thanks