Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   How the heck do you remove the passanger side air bag? (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/65044-how-heck-do-you-remove-passanger-side-air-bag.html)

NYCe MaXiMa 01-05-2002 11:19 AM

How the heck do you remove the passanger side air bag?

I'm removing my entire dashboard.. and the passanger side air bag has a few bolts, unlike any I have ever seen in my life :eek: they are Hex-like and have a thing sticking up in the middle..... Is there any way to remove the dash without touching it? That is the only thing in my way.... perhaps someone with a FSM can help me out?

thanks

NYCe MaXiMa 01-05-2002 11:32 AM

Hey...

Can I remove the air bag cover without worrying that it deploys?
HOW do you remove the air bag top?
Does it just pry open?
how is it attached?
Can I remove the entire dashboard without disconnecting or worrying about the air bag unit? ( my battery is disconnected)

thanks

NickStam 01-05-2002 11:46 AM

just deploy it.

MONTARABOB 01-05-2002 12:12 PM

There is NO way around removing dash without removing airbag. The top cover will NOT pry off, This is a $700.00 airbag so B careful. You will need a special tool to remove airbag. Snap-on, MAC tools ect.. sells, 'bout $30.00 or ask bodyshop to unbolt...This is the same socket required to both bags and control box. When reinstalling dash dont miss any bolts/nuts, and tighten well. Avoid rattles!! Why R-U taking out the dash?

NYCe MaXiMa 01-05-2002 12:19 PM

Originally posted by MONTARABOB
There is NO way around removing dash without removing airbag. The top cover will NOT pry off, This is a $700.00 airbag so B careful. You will need a special tool to remove airbag. Snap-on, MAC tools ect.. sells, 'bout $30.00 or ask bodyshop to unbolt...This is the same socket required to both bags and control box. When reinstalling dash dont miss any bolts/nuts, and tighten well. Avoid rattles!! Why R-U taking out the dash?

Yea, i was about to go out looking for the special socket tool.... This is the hex looking thing with a little pin sticking out the middle.....

I am removing the dash because I am replacing it with another one. Mine has a nasty stain and I just bought a replacement. Basically, everything is now off..... all bolts, cluster panel, steering column, center console, glove box assembly, pillars.. Only thing holding it in place seems to be the freaking air bag....

where can I find this special socket tool? Would places like Sears, pepboys etc have it?

Do not worry, I will assemble this thing better then FACTORY :cool: taking it apart, I spotted numerous screws that were kind of loose, and many little flaws and wires inside that could cause a rattle..

Now if I can only get the air bag off....

MONTARABOB 01-05-2002 12:36 PM

Hard thing to find at a Saturday parts store...These are hard to find for a reason, They don't want un-qualified people playing with explosives. Basically this is a TORX bit a hole in the middle. Call around? Know anybuddy workin' weekends at a bodyshop or dealer? Leav em $$$ deposit to "rent" tool?? Good luck...Also anyone else reading this. Good lesson learned, B4 you attempt ANY major weekend project post a question "will I run into any suprises doin'...?" Could keep U from F-in up a weekend...caus come Monday your car be in peices..

cbr2 01-05-2002 12:54 PM

OK.. I know ALL there is to know about the maxima air bags (just about).. So here is what you want to know.. NEVER EVER EVER work on or touch any airbag system w/out both the positive and negative parts of the battery disconnected...
To remove the passanger one you remove the glove box.. Then you look up from underneth.. there are 6 bolts.. 2 tamper proof star ones and 4 10mm bolts.. The most obvious ones are the 2 tamper proof.. The tool to remove this bolt I purchased at Discount autoparts.. Most autoparts stores will have it.. After removing these bolts disconnect the 2 yellow plugs that plug into the bag (newer nissan bags have 1) be careful w/ these plugs they don't disconnect like expected
so don't force them.
Ok now here is where you will become a bloody mess and curse the fact that you are doing this..
If you look up w/ a flashlight on each side of the bag you will see to 2 bolts a side.. now nothing but a 10mm wrench will get up there and everything is sharp as hell.. So enjoy taking these 4 bolts out.
Next w/ someone helping (if possible) push from underneth on the bag the unit will pop out the top side.. After it is loose your partner can pull it out.. Problem is it will fall back down if it is not grabbed.

Now here are the don't!!!
DON'T PRY THE BAG OUT FROM THE TOP..
DON'T PULL or CARRY THE BAG UNIT with the dash like material only w/ it frame.. If it tears off you are F**KED (W/ a large Splintery wooden rod in A**)
DON'T PRY THE BAG OUT FROM THE TOP.. Same thing as above happens.
DON'T WORK ON THE SYSTEM w/ EITHER THE + or - connected.
DON'T TRY TO SUBSTITUTE FOR THE TAMPER PROOF TOOL
DON'T DAMAGE THE YELLOW WIRE!

GL.

airmattdog 01-05-2002 01:48 PM

Now are these the same instructions if you're airbag already deployed in a accident? Cause I need to take mine out since it is deployed. Or is it gonna be easier for me to do it? I know I won't have to worry about it deploying.

NYCe MaXiMa 01-05-2002 02:49 PM

Originally posted by cbr2
OK.. I know ALL there is to know about the maxima air bags (just about).. So here is what you want to know.. NEVER EVER EVER work on or touch any airbag system w/out both the positive and negative parts of the battery disconnected...
To remove the passanger one you remove the glove box.. Then you look up from underneth.. there are 6 bolts.. 2 tamper proof star ones and 4 10mm bolts.. The most obvious ones are the 2 tamper proof.. The tool to remove this bolt I purchased at Discount autoparts.. Most autoparts stores will have it.. After removing these bolts disconnect the 2 yellow plugs that plug into the bag (newer nissan bags have 1) be careful w/ these plugs they don't disconnect like expected
so don't force them.
Ok now here is where you will become a bloody mess and curse the fact that you are doing this..
If you look up w/ a flashlight on each side of the bag you will see to 2 bolts a side.. now nothing but a 10mm wrench will get up there and everything is sharp as hell.. So enjoy taking these 4 bolts out.
Next w/ someone helping (if possible) push from underneth on the bag the unit will pop out the top side.. After it is loose your partner can pull it out.. Problem is it will fall back down if it is not grabbed.

Now here are the don't!!!
DON'T PRY THE BAG OUT FROM THE TOP..
DON'T PULL or CARRY THE BAG UNIT with the dash like material only w/ it frame.. If it tears off you are F**KED (W/ a large Splintery wooden rod in A**)
DON'T PRY THE BAG OUT FROM THE TOP.. Same thing as above happens.
DON'T WORK ON THE SYSTEM w/ EITHER THE + or - connected.
DON'T TRY TO SUBSTITUTE FOR THE TAMPER PROOF TOOL
DON'T DAMAGE THE YELLOW WIRE!

GL.

wow
thanks!!!

Ok, now my car is out of action and good thing I have access to another one for the time being..... EVERYTHING is off, except the damn air bag..... Cr2, can I remove the instrument panel / dashboard with the least amount of air bag tempering? Yes, don't worry, both terminals are disconnected, I almost got to prying the air bag top but then it just didn't sound right.. boy am i happy that i did that.

Now, I was at Sears, pepboys, strauss, and none of them have this tool..... MONTARABOB, yes it's a Torx bit thing with a hole in the middle... i found some torx bit tools in pepboys and sears, and i bought one, even though it has no hole.... i thought i might be able to either drill a tiny hole in the middle or just get rid of the pin that is sticking out in the bolt so this one fits. either way, it was too big, so tomorrow i will go and exchange it. My friends cousin actually owns a shop, but they do very minor body work. I might ask him, hopefully he knows something.. Do you think nissan will let me borrow this thing? i doubt it...

CR2 and MONTARABOB, thank you for the tips... i need to get this done, my maxima is a mess various parts all over the place, wires and connectors sticking out everywhere (and there is a lot of them) :) But as soon as i get this freakin air bag, i'm good..

thanks guys, any more tips would be great.

cbr2 01-05-2002 03:24 PM

Ok.. If your airbags are deployed all rules apply except who cares what damage you do the plastic cover..

Yes you can replace the system yourself and you will need to follow all rules above and will need the 2 bags and the control module before starting .. All parts need to be installed at the same time.. If they are not installed via these rules you risk damage to your control box ($450) and most certailly will cause yourself a trip to the dealer to pay $50 to rest your light.. If the rules are followed your light will NOT stay on and everything will be fine..

Yes you can take the Speedo unit out w/out removing the driver bag and wheel.. It is a pain in the A** on Altimas but not so bad on Maximas.. Again keep your battery disconnected..

Note when removing the dash don't forget the 2 bolts up by the glass!!!
And removal to the passanger side is 10X easier..

PS I bought by temper proof torque bit for $3.50 at my local Discount auto parts store.. Sears won't have it but Autozone mmight.. PEPBOY's blows! If you need one I can pick it up for you and over night it VIA UPS...
Nissan won't lend you the tool!

NYCe MaXiMa 01-05-2002 04:31 PM

Thanks,
I only found those Torx bit tools without the little hole in the center... but I just went to work with a drill and a dremmel, I cut an indentation in the center of it which will hopefully be deep enough for the pin on the tamper proof bolt. I will also look around again, hopefully i can find it... do u know the size that is needed? incase i order it online?
well, i'm keeping the steering wheel on etc.. i got the bolts by the window in the vents, the bolts in the foot well, cluster etc.. everything is off except the air bag. my battery is disconnected, tomorrow i will try and remove it all. so there isn't a risk of it deploying or anything as long as it is disconnected right? when i put it all back together, i should just slide it through the top of the dash back into it's place and tighten the bolts right?

i do not want to damage it or f-k it up because i can't afford an air bag or anything else for that matter.. lol

thanks, i'll let u know if my tool works or if i can find it.. if not, i may take u up on your offer :)

Originally posted by cbr2
Ok.. If your airbags are deployed all rules apply except who cares what damage you do the plastic cover..

Yes you can replace the system yourself and you will need to follow all rules above and will need the 2 bags and the control module before starting .. All parts need to be installed at the same time.. If they are not installed via these rules you risk damage to your control box ($450) and most certailly will cause yourself a trip to the dealer to pay $50 to rest your light.. If the rules are followed your light will NOT stay on and everything will be fine..

Yes you can take the Speedo unit out w/out removing the driver bag and wheel.. It is a pain in the A** on Altimas but not so bad on Maximas.. Again keep your battery disconnected..

Note when removing the dash don't forget the 2 bolts up by the glass!!!
And removal to the passanger side is 10X easier..

PS I bought by temper proof torque bit for $3.50 at my local Discount auto parts store.. Sears won't have it but Autozone mmight.. PEPBOY's blows! If you need one I can pick it up for you and over night it VIA UPS...
Nissan won't lend you the tool!

wikidbwoy 01-05-2002 05:44 PM

i went all over looking for that torx with the hole in the middle and i gave up. i finnally ended up using a 13 mm socket and a hammer. after about 1 hour i had the bags out. the four 10 mm bolts are the hardest to get to.

NYCe MaXiMa 01-05-2002 07:09 PM

Originally posted by wikidbwoy
i went all over looking for that torx with the hole in the middle and i gave up. i finnally ended up using a 13 mm socket and a hammer. after about 1 hour i had the bags out. the four 10 mm bolts are the hardest to get to.

haha
I thought about doing that, but I didn't want to mess anything up while I'm hammering away in there. I modified a torx piece, it might fit.. hope it does... if not, i'm going to cut the pin in those bolts off and use the torx. Thanks for the reply, I am not looking forward to taking out those 4 bolts. lol

cooler2000 01-05-2002 08:31 PM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

haha
I thought about doing that, but I didn't want to mess anything up while I'm hammering away in there. I modified a torx piece, it might fit.. hope it does... if not, i'm going to cut the pin in those bolts off and use the torx. Thanks for the reply, I am not looking forward to taking out those 4 bolts. lol

dude it is awesome that you finally got dashboard part from n4mat!!! what about his leather seats did you get them too??? keep me posted! what about the clock part as we discussed?

Thnanks!

NYCe MaXiMa 01-06-2002 10:57 PM

ok...

I got the ****ing thing out, disconnected EVERYTHING. there is a LOT of stuff behind there too.. and u gotta be careful. The torx bit thign i found and drilled a hole in the middle myself worked like a charm.... What I did though, is took the dashboard out WITH the air bag still attached with the 4 screws u guys warned me about... was much easier to remove when the dash is out of the car.

I am now facing another problem... I barely fit the new replacement dash in there, and attached the air bag,, it was tough to line up all the holes and set it in the correct place... especially being that the steering wheel was not removed. but i got it... however, the problem is here: The bolts by the foot well at the bottom both lined up, 3 clips near the vents by the windshield lined up, screws behind the glove compartment lined up, even 1 bolt by the vent on the Right side, above the air bag lined up.... But, the same bolt, on the OTHER side does not line up.. the damn thing is like 1 inch higher.. the hole is too low... i spent about an hour trying to move it all and press it down but i can't get it... it seems like there is something in the way.. I was getting frustrated and I had to go to work so i just left it alone until tomorrow.
I also dropped 1 screw somewhere while trying to put it inside the vents, and it's hard as **** to reach in there, but as i dropped it, it fell somewhere in the dashboard, and if u ever took the whole thing off, u know how hard it would be to find it again. anyways, after 40 minutes of searching i got it. :) i am hoping nothing else fell in there, because i would hate to reassemble it all and then hear a rattle from there... Everything seems good, the new dashboard is a slightly different shade though, it was from a 96 i believe, and my 98 has a different color tan, it's not really noticeable, until u look at the air bag cover, it's a little bit different... maybe it will fade over time from the sun? anyways, thanks for listening to me rant, lol.. I'll update tomorrow on this surprisingly painful project. which i will never do again in my life

unstetois 08-28-2011 10:26 AM

you can get the torx bit at freight harbor. after looking all the place without success, i was able to find it over there.

michael454rs 08-28-2011 10:32 AM

I bought a set of torx bit a my local 99 cent store and i came with 20 diffeent bits and size but i lost them

ChrisMan287 08-28-2011 10:54 AM

Nine year old bump. Cool.

:slap:

97WhMaximaGle 08-28-2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by unstetois (Post 8182540)
you can get the torx bit at freight harbor. after looking all the place without success, i was able to find it over there.

:mrgone:

wow 9 year old bump ftw dude you gotta avoid going to page 30/31 on topics just to find something to post on.

Will 11-09-2011 10:38 AM

Here's a 9-month old bump! :P

The Torx bit is a T50 for Maximas, I think.

JNCoRacer 11-09-2011 10:45 AM

All that for an "I think"?

cyjad 11-09-2011 06:36 PM

All I know is that the a**hole that stole my passenger airbag did it while the alarm was going off and must have done it in about 10 mins since it was parked in front of my buddy's house on Christmas day. My buddy heard the alarm and went to go see what was going on. By that time the deed was done.

Of course, they were not gentle with removing the glove box, but they did not ruin anything else getting the airbag out. Must not have been his first time.

The insurance covered that damage and I put the money into a suspension upgrade. I'm never in the passenger seat. hehe.

Zmc95 08-24-2021 12:58 AM

Are passenger airbags in all 4th gen maxima interchangeable?

I have a 95 maxima but finding the passenger side airbag for it is difficult I see 97-98's all the time but not to often do I come across a 95 but what I'm asking is if I get. 97-98's pass airbag would it mount and plug into my 95

Rit 08-24-2021 03:25 AM

That is a Torx Security bolt. I bought one from Sears, quite a while ago.