Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Maxima Stops While Driving (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/659324-maxima-stops-while-driving.html)

fface40 12-13-2012 06:42 AM

Maxima Stops While Driving

I have strange problem.

Car automatically stops while i am driving.

When it stops Car automatically applies the break and comes to halt.
Breaklight and Check Engine light is on.
Steering Wheel was real hard that even to reach side of road i have to use real force.
Once car comes to halt just turn off the key and restart the car then it just goes fine.

Above scenario can be reproduced
If I switch off the A/C or Heater and drive for 3-4 mins.
or
If I drive at 80mph for 3-4mins.

please help me on this.

asand1 12-13-2012 06:56 AM

Its called the engine dying. When the engine dies all the dashlights will come on. There will be no power steering or power brakes. You will have what is called ingine braking, where the drag of the dead engine causes the car to decelate.

maxima2fst4u 12-13-2012 07:37 AM

just junk it...thats what imma do to mine lol well part it out first then junk her probley

Amerikaner83 12-13-2012 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by asand1 (Post 8684882)
Its called the engine dying. When the engine dies all the dashlights will come on. There will be no power steering or power brakes. You will have what is called ingine braking, where the drag of the dead engine causes the car to decelate.

this.

Is your car overheating? What's your temp gauge look like?

Since you can replicate it so easily I don't think running out of gas is your problem...but do you make it a habit of filling up after the low gas light is on? Fuel pump could be weak.

[s3] 12-13-2012 08:32 AM

Overheating

fface40 12-13-2012 07:03 PM

Is your car overheating? What's your temp gauge look like?
No, Temp Gauge needle is in middle.

I was able to reproduce that stalling only on above said particular scenarios. otherwise car runs with out hitch.

if i drive it on 70mph or below / switch on A/C or Heater then i wasn't able to reproduce problem, i think because of this nature i wasn't noticed this issue for long time.

styliztik 12-13-2012 07:41 PM

go get your cel light checked and see what it's for, and fix it. your ecu is shutting the engine down for a reason - to protect it.

cashoit 12-14-2012 02:37 PM

Sounds like your idle air control valve (IACV) has crapped out to me. Do a SEARCH.

There is a knob u can adjust that will keep the Throttle body cracked open a bit to allow air into the engine, thus keeping the engine running.

It sounds like the IACV isnt opening once the car has come to a stop

Trini Boom 12-15-2012 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by styliztik (Post 8685356)
go get your cel light checked and see what it's for, and fix it. your ecu is shutting the engine down for a reason - to protect it.

:sprint:. And why is your brake light on? Are you low on brake fluid??

fface40 12-15-2012 12:38 PM

Today I checked the battery GND terminals for connectivity (based on just wild theory, I checked the electrical) and found out that GND terminal was loose, once I fixed that in garage everything working fine so far and I haven’t tested the 80mph 3-4 mins drive once I do that I will update.
Some people asked to change alt and some other asked me to clean the fuel line but at the end the problem lies in totally different place. Nice learning on this process.
Thanks all of you folks.

fface40 12-15-2012 12:41 PM

And why is your brake light on? Are you low on brake fluid??
No, Break fluid is no low, but I don't know why it was on.