Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Hard start after sitting a few days (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/661135-hard-start-after-sitting-few-days.html)

BobMax 01-29-2013 02:14 PM

Hard start after sitting a few days

Looking at a '98 with less than 100k miles for purchase. I'm trying to make a buy/no-buy decision on the car. There aren't many with miles this low, so it's getting some extra consideration.

Car sat for a while (like days, or maybe a week or two, not months). When started it died several times before it would run.

It runs well otherwise and was fine once warmed up. No codes, no pending codes. But, it has to be able to start after a few days sitting in the future so I'm concerned. It was dead cold, maybe 25 degrees out.

Thoughts on what it might be? Fuel drain back i.e. no pressure? Something else?

GGENIUS 01-29-2013 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by BobMax (Post 8717319)
Looking at a '98 with less than 100k miles for purchase. I'm trying to make a buy/no-buy decision on the car. There aren't many with miles this low, so it's getting some extra consideration.

Car sat for a while (like days, or maybe a week or two, not months). When started it died several times before it would run.

It runs well otherwise and was fine once warmed up. No codes, no pending codes. But, it has to be able to start after a few days sitting in the future so I'm concerned. It was dead cold, maybe 25 degrees out.

Thoughts on what it might be? Fuel drain back i.e. no pressure? Something else?

these cars need a thorough cleaning of the intake, TB, IACV, EGR around this milage. carbon build up in these areas can cause hard cold starts yes. also if you gave it gas it wouldnt help it start? sounds like usual maintenance.

BobMax 01-30-2013 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS (Post 8717431)
these cars need a thorough cleaning of the intake, TB, IACV, EGR around this milage. carbon build up in these areas can cause hard cold starts yes. also if you gave it gas it wouldnt help it start? sounds like usual maintenance.

Owner started it with a (too heavy) application of throttle.

Is this all fairly trivial i.e. pull some small items spray some cleaner? Or are any of these longer jobs? A rough idea will help me know, I don't need step by step yet, just a ball park idea on how much labor time is needed.

Trini Boom 01-30-2013 02:04 PM

I would buy it no problem provided that the price is right. Can't be that many problems.

BobMax 01-30-2013 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom (Post 8718080)
I would buy it no problem provided that the price is right. Can't be that many problems.

OK... feeling better about it them :-). It does run very well, no problems detected.

smai555 01-30-2013 06:27 PM

after its warmed up will it restart no problems ? could just be a dying battery and 25 degrees will make it act up, or it could be need better grounding (common issue) or like above dirty TB

i would also look under the front of the car where a support beam bolts to the center of the front cross beam, 2 big bolts going up, that area is known to rust though in areas that see snow and salt

jholley 01-30-2013 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by smai555 (Post 8718285)
after its warmed up will it restart no problems ? could just be a dying battery and 25 degrees will make it act up, or it could be need better grounding

+1

Measure the battery voltage. It could be a drained battery giving you an easier start after getting charged by the alternator.

GGENIUS 01-30-2013 08:46 PM

OP, search for the mega thrad on TB, EGR, IACV, IM cleaning for dummies. it will answer all your questions on what i said, if its not battery or starter related.

max ride 41 01-31-2013 07:49 PM

man, i bought my max 8 years ago with 129,000 on the clock!!! i would'nt think twice about a max with that mileage!!! c'mon man!!!:slap:

lougskypes 02-01-2013 12:02 AM

yeah,i think so,, 2 big bolts going up, that area is known to rust though in areas that see snow and salt.thankshttp://www.maxin.us/imax/images/6.gif

BobMax 02-01-2013 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS (Post 8718376)
OP, search for the mega thrad on TB, EGR, IACV, IM cleaning for dummies. it will answer all your questions on what i said, if its not battery or starter related.

Thanks, will do. It seemed to be spinning fast enough, so I'm thinking it's not a battery /starter issue. Seemed ignition/fuel related if I had to guess (and I do!).

BobMax 02-01-2013 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by lougskypes (Post 8719135)
yeah,i think so,, 2 big bolts going up, that area is known to rust though in areas that see snow and salt.thankshttp://www.maxin.us/imax/images/6.gif

Yes... very familiar with that - my other Max had a dropping motor and I had to have a new support welded in. This is a Southern car... very clean compared to what I see here in the NorthEast.