Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Rounded spark plug. (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/662982-rounded-spark-plug.html)

TheWhiteWhale 03-13-2013 09:13 AM

Rounded spark plug.

So I went to go change the spark plugs the other day after neglecting them entirely too long. Didn't have any problems except for cylinder 4 on the front, in the middle. The socket can't grab anything on the nut at all, just spins. I searched on here to no avail and on other forums some suggested JB welding a smaller socket to the plug or using an extractor on whats left of the nut. I'm kinda nervous about those methods, but don't really want to pay someone to pull the head so any alternatives are needed because this is my daily driver.

DennisMik 03-13-2013 09:31 AM

Are you sure that a piece of the coil did not break off and stay on the spark plug? This could prevent the socket from gripping the hex portion of the plug.

If you remove the valve cover, this will bring the spark plug into the open where you could maybe grab on to it with vicegrips or something.

Use a 6 point socket, not a 12 point socket.

BlackThornDemon 03-13-2013 10:10 AM

That help?

TheWhiteWhale 03-13-2013 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik (Post 8747770)
Are you sure that a piece of the coil did not break off and stay on the spark plug? This could prevent the socket from gripping the hex portion of the plug.

If you remove the valve cover, this will bring the spark plug into the open where you could maybe grab on to it with vicegrips or something.

Use a 6 point socket, not a 12 point socket.

The coil is intact fortunately-it was the first thing I checked because I hoped it was something simple. I did use a 6 point, but as I said, it just spins and cannot grip at all. I'm trying to avoid getting into the motor at all, but if necessary the valve cover may be doable. I'm just glad its on the front.
Upon closer inspection it looks like the hex section has become completely rounded and there is some rust. Im really considering trying to get my hands on a deep Grip-Tite or extractor socket, but I'm just hesitant because I don't want whats left of the surface area to crumble.

njmaxseltd 03-13-2013 02:25 PM

How in the world did you round off the hex with a 6 point?

TheWhiteWhale 03-13-2013 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd (Post 8748007)
How in the world did you round off the hex with a 6 point?

The car had a tune-up around a year ago when I was working 2 jobs and going to school. Didn't have time to do it myself and brought it to a friend of the family who isn't a friend anymore after uncovering his shoddy work.

TheWhiteWhale 03-13-2013 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by BlackThornDemon (Post 8747808)

I'll watch this tomorrow (I work 3rd shift). Would this work with the VQ? (noticed it was for a Ford Triton in the title)

DennisMik 03-13-2013 03:03 PM

The tool might work on a VQ if the spark plug were to break in the same way the video showed, where the spark plug lower section breaks off below the hex portion.

But I don't think that is your problem if I understand this right. You have essentially a rounded bolt head type of problem. If this is what your problem is, the tool won't help.

I don't know if those extractor sockets come in deep well. If they don't, get a Dremel tool and cut the porcelain tower off so that you can use a non deep well socket. I would not break the porcelain off because it may totally shatter and all the stuff would fall into the cylinder.

TheWhiteWhale 03-14-2013 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik (Post 8748027)
The tool might work on a VQ if the spark plug were to break in the same way the video showed, where the spark plug lower section breaks off below the hex portion.

But I don't think that is your problem if I understand this right. You have essentially a rounded bolt head type of problem. If this is what your problem is, the tool won't help.

I don't know if those extractor sockets come in deep well. If they don't, get a Dremel tool and cut the porcelain tower off so that you can use a non deep well socket. I would not break the porcelain off because it may totally shatter and all the stuff would fall into the cylinder.

Yes, you're right-the bolt headed is rounded off and the rest of the exposed plug is intact fortunately. After hunting all day and almost impulsively buying these: http://www.sears.com/grip-tite-17-pc...p-00910324000P
I ended up finding this Irwin deep well extractor set for a steal:

Amerikaner83 03-14-2013 11:03 AM

^^ hope that works for you :)