4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What will you do with code 0201 and 0605?(no "P" in front!! )

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 11:57 AM

What will you do with code 0201 and 0605?(no "P" in front!! )

I recently have this black MAXIMA, 1999, auto, already have 163K miles. It runs not so smoothly, so I change the oil, the gear oil, and balance the tire. I also change the spark plug by myself, clean the TB. Now the car runs much better!

But there is a thing trouble me so much. The "check engine light" is always on, never go away. It even flash when the engine works above 3500. When it is below 3500 the light will stop flashing but still on.

Then I found this great website, so I try to read the code and got it. It is: 0701,0201,0304. I try to clean the code, and the light for the first time went off! But as soon as I drive the car, the light come back again!

What else should I do? I love this car, want to fix it by myself, but now I can't find out what is really going wrong! I can start the car very easy, drive above 65 MPH, so I don't think it's the ignition problem, or spark plugs.

After I use the screwdriver to get the code from ECU again, it is some change! The first code become 0605 instead of 0701. The code is " 0605 - Cylinder 4 misfire". The rest code is the same: 0201,0304. So my guess is, there is more than one Cylinder misfire before, and since I changed all six spark plugs, there only one Cylinder-4 is misfire. I will check cylinder 4 carefully and hope to get the car fixed.

Hi! Me again! More things to report! I switched the ignition coil at cylinder-4 with cylinder-6, and still get 0605, so my guess is ignition coils are fine? Then I changed a new knock sensor, the code 0304 is gone!
But the 0201 and 0605 still show up! Just in case(and the car need it anyway), I changed the fuel filter today. There are one time that I can drive without any code, then code "0505" showed up once, now it still show "0605" and "0201". What else can I do? I already put 91#gas in with the Redline-sl 1, should I put some injector cleaner in the gas? Or I should buy a injector for cylinde -4 anyway?

I am confused again!

Need help!
Old 09-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Got Retrofit?

You need coilpacks to solve the misfire situation. Common issue on '99s. Do not use aftermarket ones.

You also need a knock sensor.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:21 PM

Code: P1320 | Description: Ignition Signal

Code: P0304 | Description: Cylinder 4 Misfire

I would take a look at some of the other symptoms it could be. EGR volume control is easy to check off. And air leaks. Use these as a check list and try to check them off one by one. The Misfire code is going to be tricky

Edit: Original Coil Packs, everyone has trouble with after market or off brand. Like Chrisman said.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
You need coilpacks to solve the misfire situation. Common issue on '99s. Do not use aftermarket ones.

You also need a knock sensor.
Yes, thank you for advice! I already changed the knock sensor, and the coil packs are expensive though, could I only change 1 or 2 instead of all 6? Will that work?
Old 09-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by ruiqiangli
Yes, thank you for advice! I already changed the knock sensor, and the coil packs are expensive though, could I only change 1 or 2 instead of all 6? Will that work?
Change all six. Buy a used set in the 4th gen classifieds from a '95-'98.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Phromethius
Code: P1320 | Description: Ignition Signal

Code: P0304 | Description: Cylinder 4 Misfire

I would take a look at some of the other symptoms it could be. EGR volume control is easy to check off. And air leaks. Use these as a check list and try to check them off one by one. The Misfire code is going to be tricky

Edit: Original Coil Packs, everyone has trouble with after market or off brand. Like Chrisman said.
Thanks for the advice, how to check the EGR? Air leaks I can check with water, but not sure about EGR.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the advice, how to check the EGR? Air leaks I can check with water, but not sure about EGR.
The combination of the two codes together leads me to think that the problem is in fact your ignition coils. (second check list item down on your first code is ignition coil transistor problem) Try replacing those first with a new or used original equipment set. Chances are that will probably clear both codes since the misfire code could be from the bad signal code on the coil. A leads to B etc.

The EGR valve in question though for general knowledge is the part with the brown connector on the top of the intake manifold towards the firewall closer to the passenger side. picture here on this link:

Old 09-19-2013, 05:14 AM

Instantly Skip

The combination of the two codes together leads me to think that the problem is in fact your ignition coils. (second check list item down on your first code is ignition coil transistor problem) Try replacing those first with a new or used original equipment set. Chances are that will probably clear both codes since the misfire code could be from the bad signal code on the coil. A leads to B etc.

The EGR valve in question though for general knowledge is the part with the brown connector on the top of the intake manifold towards the firewall closer to the passenger side. picture here on this link:

Thanks for your idea! The confuse part is after I changed the ignition coil at Cy-4 with CY-6, and after that it still sending "CY-4 misfire" codes. Will one or more than one bad ignition coils be the reson? If it is true, I will go ahead to buy a set of ignition coils pack.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:45 AM

Thanks for your idea! The confuse part is after I changed the ignition coil at Cy-4 with CY-6, and after that it still sending "CY-4 misfire" codes. Will one or more than one bad ignition coils be the reson? If it is true, I will go ahead to buy a set of ignition coils pack.
Did you clear the codes before swapping the coils? If not that is why you're still getting code 0605.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by jholley
Did you clear the codes before swapping the coils? If not that is why you're still getting code 0605.
Yes, I do clear the codes before swapping the coils, every time I read the codes I will clear them, wish will not come again, but it alway showed up!
Will sea form treatment ( the smoke show) help me with this? I am now just guess around.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

PLEASE confirm its the coils before you buy them, they are expensive and itll suck if they wernt even the problem!

While its very likely they are the issue, its very possible it is something else. I had the exact codes you listed in your first post, and i was on the verge of dropping ~200 on new coils. Same exact issues as you, a CEL that would not quit and a horrible misfire that would come and go as it pleased, with the CEL flashing under heavy load. However in the end it wound up being my injectors that were the root of the misfire.

Before you make the jump of buying coils, try testing them to see if they are broken or not. Also try running two rounds of techron through your fuel, i did this and my misfire literally went away at the gaspump right as i did the first dose. It came back here and there for the next couple of weeks so i put another bottle of techron in, never saw the misfire again! My CEL vanished and is yet to return, ~5 months and going strong!

No garantees though, its likely my problem was caused by letting my max's tank hit empty when it never ever hit empty in its whole life; 14 years of crap in the bottom of my tank probably got sucked into my fuel lines and clogged some injectors, which explained why the misfire would come and go when it felt like it. Moral of the story: explore all possible (and far cheaper) alternatives before dropping that much cash! Best of luck.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Moral of the story: explore all possible (and far cheaper) alternatives before dropping that much cash! Best of luck.
Not to toot my own horn because this forum has been nothing but a Godsend to my max, but this is why I posted the code diagnostics. There are other options on there that the OP should and could check for possible causes. Injector issues are on there as well.

Throwing this out there as well, I do not know anything about the fuel rail but if the injector is a problem wouldn't it show up no matter what coil pack you used? Thus the code would still be on the same cylinder? Or is that not how that part works? I honestly don't know just trying to brainstorm.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not to toot my own horn because this forum has been nothing but a Godsend to my max, but this is why I posted the code diagnostics. There are other options on there that the OP should and could check for possible causes. Injector issues are on there as well.

Throwing this out there as well, I do not know anything about the fuel rail but if the injector is a problem wouldn't it show up no matter what coil pack you used? Thus the code would still be on the same cylinder? Or is that not how that part works? I honestly don't know just trying to brainstorm.
Not exactly sure, however i had the *exact* codes he has, and no codes related to injectors came up. I actually remember testing my coils by swapping them around, and the same thing happened to me where the codes remained despite the coils moving. I do know that at first my CEL showed a cyl 4 misfire, and was eventually replaced with multiple cyl misfire.

Also worth noting that i too had the primary ignition circuit code, which still boggles me considering it was the injectors all along.

Q for the OP: do you have a misfire (very rough engine) that comes and goes at seemingly random intervals? Or is the misfire non stop 24/7? If it is the latter its more probable your coils/plugs are at fault.

Edit: What brand spark plugs did you install during your tuneup?

Last edited by Slamrod; 09-19-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:42 PM

Not exactly sure, however i had the *exact* codes he has, and no codes related to injectors came up. I actually remember testing my coils by swapping them around, and the same thing happened to me where the codes remained despite the coils moving. I do know that at first my CEL showed a cyl 4 misfire, and was eventually replaced with multiple cyl misfire.

Also worth noting that i too had the primary ignition circuit code, which still boggles me considering it was the injectors all along.

Q for the OP: do you have a misfire (very rough engine) that comes and goes at seemingly random intervals? Or is the misfire non stop 24/7? If it is the latter its more probable your coils/plugs are at fault.

Edit: What brand spark plugs did you install during your tuneup?

The spark plug is brand new BKR5E-11 NGK spark plugs. Is that right?
I drive the car to a mechanic today, after I told him everything that I had try, he thinks it is the injector or the line send the power to the injector is bad. But he can't test it today, in a week he will help me to find out what is wrong and fix it. He said he can tell from the sound that there is a misfire, so the problem is always be there. I am waiting to find out, and be prepared to pay to change a injector. So I think the cleaner in the fuel will not work for now, but your idea is totally right! It is the injector! Thank you very much! After this I will try the sea form and report to you guys!
Old 09-19-2013, 03:45 PM

Thanks for all your help! Will know the answer in a week! I can Waite! Will tell you what it is! Thanks again!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The spark plug is brand new BKR5E-11 NGK spark plugs. Is that right?
I drive the car to a mechanic today, after I told him everything that I had try, he thinks it is the injector or the line send the power to the injector is bad. But he can't test it today, in a week he will help me to find out what is wrong and fix it. He said he can tell from the sound that there is a misfire, so the problem is always be there. I am waiting to find out, and be prepared to pay to change a injector. So I think the cleaner in the fuel will not work for now, but your idea is totally right! It is the injector! Thank you very much! After this I will try the sea form and report to you guys!
NGK are the correct plugs, those should not be at fault.

Id recommend using techron (found in a small bottle at any gas station/auto store, costs ~5 bucks) fuel cleaner, or, as you have said, seafoam. You might even be better off with seafoam as you can clean your intake manifold while youre at it, both perform basically the same action, just two different chemicals. I dont think it would be good to do both at the same time though.

Dump a bottle of techron in your gas, or if seamfoaming, half the bottle of seafoam in the gas tank, and suck the other half up your brake booster line. Like always do your HW and make sure you do it the right way so you dont hydrolock your engine. Its very possible your injector problem will cease shortly after doing either of these, mine stopped literally when i started my engine after filling up at the gas pump.

Best case scenario is the injector cleaner and/or seafoam will fix your dirty injector, and youll be on your way. Worst case scenario is your problem remains, and you are out 15 dollars, but at least your other injectors and engine will be much much cleaner. Highly recommend these before buying a new injector, I only stress this point so much because i was in your **exact** same situation and it worked miracles for me, and saved me hundreds of dollars.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:15 AM

Id recommend using techron (found in a small bottle at any gas station/auto store, costs ~5 bucks) fuel cleaner, or, as you have said, seafoam. You might even be better off with seafoam as you can clean your intake manifold while youre at it, both perform basically the same action, just two different chemicals. I dont think it would be good to do both at the same time though.

Dump a bottle of techron in your gas, or if seamfoaming, half the bottle of seafoam in the gas tank, and suck the other half up your brake booster line. Like always do your HW and make sure you do it the right way so you dont hydrolock your engine. Its very possible your injector problem will cease shortly after doing either of these, mine stopped literally when i started my engine after filling up at the gas pump.

Best case scenario is the injector cleaner and/or seafoam will fix your dirty injector, and youll be on your way. Worst case scenario is your problem remains, and you are out 15 dollars, but at least your other injectors and engine will be much much cleaner. Highly recommend these before buying a new injector, I only stress this point so much because i was in your **exact** same situation and it worked miracles for me, and saved me hundreds of dollars.
Yes! What you said is truly the answer! I am sure that is the case! But since we saw a rewire spot right close on the line lead to the injector on Cy-4, we are not sure that injector even get the signor to inject! So I will wait to see if I can get a ohmmeter from my friend so I can test it on my own. And I really hope the line is the problem that I only need to connect it and clean the injector. After that I will do sea form on my car.
Your commend is so useful and clear, thank you! Now I feel I can drive the car out during Thanksgiving !
Old 11-24-2018, 06:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i Will co sign this. I was getting that pesky misfire code even after swapping to new coils. I threw a bottle of Berriman B12 in and my wife drove to Massachusetts from NY and it has been gone since. It came back today so again i am throwing another bottle in asap. I suspect bad fuel or a partially clogged injector.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon and Ian
i Will co sign this. I was getting that pesky misfire code even after swapping to new coils. I threw a bottle of Berriman B12 in and my wife drove to Massachusetts from NY and it has been gone since. It came back today so again i am throwing another bottle in asap. I suspect bad fuel or a partially clogged injector.
Thanks
~
Old 11-26-2018, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon and Ian
Glad B12 did clean your injectors but beware it has strong cleaning chemicals. Instead of using B12 again I recommend adding TC-W3 during every gas fill to keep the injectors from clogging once more.

https://maxima.org/forums/fluids-lub...itive-new.html.