4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

'99 Maxima dimmer switch no longer works after stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

'99 Maxima dimmer switch no longer works after stereo install

I recently installed a Kenwood DPX500BT stereo in my '99 Maxima SE with the non-Bose six speaker system. Everything works just fine except the dimmer switch on the dash. The orange/white (illum) wire from the aftermarket Scosche harness is wired correctly to the red/blue (illumination control) wire. The wiring harness doesn't allow you to wire up the red/yellow (light switch) wire. See diagram below in red. I tried to connect them both to the orange/white (illum) wire on the aftermarket harness to no avail. I had to ground it to the chassis with a separate piece of wire to get the dash lights to even work.

I understand that aftermarket radios can't usually use the dimmer switch... which I'm fine with... but the problem is the dash lights can no longer be dimmed. Is there any way to configure the wires to get the dimmer to work for the dash lights?
Attached Thumbnails '99 Maxima dimmer switch no longer works after stereo install-4th-gen-basehu97-diagram.jpg  

Last edited by ack_thpt; 11-09-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:14 PM

updated below

Last edited by Nopike; 11-08-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:47 PM

After a bit more checking it appears the org/white wire that comes out of the Kenwood should go to your cars light control switch. I don't believe your Kenwood uses the Red/blue light switch wires of your harness at all.

The only wire the Kenwood uses for lighting control is the org/white one. That has to go to either the cars red/yellow (Illumine) wire, most likely, or to the cars Blue/yellow (light switch) wire.

That harness just makes figuring out the connections more confusing. As far as the lighting connections go you may try and bypass the harness and connect the Kenwood directly to the car wiring.

The Kenwood unit picks up ground from it's black wire. It does not appear that any other wires from the Kenwood or your harness should be grounded.

Hope all this helps and does not add to the confusion.

Last edited by Nopike; 11-08-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:06 PM

When I replaced the non-Bose head unit in my 97 with a Sony, I connected the orange/white wire of the Sony harness to the red/blue wire, pin 8 of the Nissan harness. I did not connect anything to the red/yellow wire, pin 7 of the Nissan harness. I connected the black wire of the Sony harness to the chassis.

In the wiring diagram that you attached, pin numbers 21 & up are for an external CD player.

Here is the wiring diagram I made for my self:

Code:
Signal               Sony Harness       Metra Adaptor      Wire Harness       Pin #
--------------       ----------------   ----------------   -----------------  -----
Ground               Black              Black                                   9
Radio power          Red                Red                Blue/blk stripe     10
Station Memory       Yellow             Yellow             Pink/blu Stripe      6
Antenna              Blue               Blue               Black/red stripe     5
LF Speaker pos       White              White              Blue/wht stripe      2
LF Speaker neg       White/blk stripe   White/blk stripe   Blue/yel stripe      1
RF Speaker pos       Gray               Gray               Brown                4
RF Speaker neg       Gray/blk stripe    Gray/blk stripe    Brown/wht stripe     3
LR Speaker pos       Green              Green              Red                 14
LR Speaker neg       Green/blk stripe   Green/blk stripe   Green               13
RR Speaker pos       Purple             Violet             Blue                16
RR Speaker neg       Purple/blk stripe  Violet/blk Stripe  Pink                15

Amplifier Remote On  Blue/wht stripe    Blue/wht stripe                        12
Amplifier Ground                        Black/wht stripe
Illumination         Orange/wht stripe  Orange             Red/blu stripe       8
Dimmer                                  Orange/blk stripe  Red/yel stripe       7
Old 11-09-2013, 04:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
When I replaced the non-Bose head unit in my 97 with a Sony, I connected the orange/white wire of the Sony harness to the red/blue wire, pin 8 of the Nissan harness. I did not connect anything to the red/yellow wire, pin 7 of the Nissan harness. I connected the black wire of the Sony harness to the chassis.

In the wiring diagram that you attached, pin numbers 21 & up are for an external CD player.

Here is the wiring diagram I made for my self:

Code:
Signal               Sony Harness       Metra Adaptor      Wire Harness       Pin #
--------------       ----------------   ----------------   -----------------  -----
Ground               Black              Black                                   9
Radio power          Red                Red                Blue/blk stripe     10
Station Memory       Yellow             Yellow             Pink/blu Stripe      6
Antenna              Blue               Blue               Black/red stripe     5
LF Speaker pos       White              White              Blue/wht stripe      2
LF Speaker neg       White/blk stripe   White/blk stripe   Blue/yel stripe      1
RF Speaker pos       Gray               Gray               Brown                4
RF Speaker neg       Gray/blk stripe    Gray/blk stripe    Brown/wht stripe     3
LR Speaker pos       Green              Green              Red                 14
LR Speaker neg       Green/blk stripe   Green/blk stripe   Green               13
RR Speaker pos       Purple             Violet             Blue                16
RR Speaker neg       Purple/blk stripe  Violet/blk Stripe  Pink                15

Amplifier Remote On  Blue/wht stripe    Blue/wht stripe                        12
Amplifier Ground                        Black/wht stripe
Illumination         Orange/wht stripe  Orange             Red/blu stripe       8
Dimmer                                  Orange/blk stripe  Red/yel stripe       7
Ah... gotcha DennisMik on the external CD harnesses.

I made a mistake in the post. Doh! I meant to say the orange wire IS connected to the red/BLUE wire (pin 8). The red yellow/wire (pin 7) is the one I grounded. I updated the post. So it appears to be connected properly. Just no dimming and no lights w/o the makeshift ground of the red/yellow wire.

The fuses are good.

Going to pull out the dimmer switch and test it as that's all that's left as far as I can tell. I will get back to ya.

Last edited by ack_thpt; 11-09-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

After doing some more reading it looks like the fact that I can ground the red/yellow wire and get the dash lights to work means the switch is fried. Must have burnt it out while installing the radio. Off to eBay...

Thanks all.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by ack_thpt
Ah... gotcha DennisMik on the external CD harnesses.

I made a mistake in the post. Doh! I meant to say the orange wire IS connected to the red/BLUE wire (pin 7). The red yellow/wire (pin 8) is the one I grounded. I updated the post. So it appears to be connected properly. Just no dimming and no lights w/o the makeshift ground of the red/yellow wire.

The fuses are good.

Going to pull out the dimmer switch and test it as that's all that's left as far as I can tell. I will get back to ya.
I hope you just made a typing mistake as those pin numbers above are reversed.

The red/blue wire is 12 volts coming from fuse # 18 for all the dash lights. The blue/yellow wire comes from the dimmer switch in the dash board. This wire is used to supply ground to the light bulb. The voltage level on this wire changes from ground for maximum brightness to 12 volts for no light.

I hope that you never grounded the blue yellow wire in the nissan harness as this would be shorting out the variable resistor in the dimmer switch. This is why I did not connect any wire to pin 7, the blue/yellow wire in the nissan harness. When you connected the Scosche orange/white to both the red/blue and red/yellow, this is probably the when you burned out the dimmer switch.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I hope you just made a typing mistake as those pin numbers above are reversed.

The red/blue wire is 12 volts coming from fuse # 18 for all the dash lights. The blue/yellow wire comes from the dimmer switch in the dash board. This wire is used to supply ground to the light bulb. The voltage level on this wire changes from ground for maximum brightness to 12 volts for no light.

I hope that you never grounded the blue yellow wire in the nissan harness as this would be shorting out the variable resistor in the dimmer switch. This is why I did not connect any wire to pin 7, the blue/yellow wire in the nissan harness. When you connected the Scosche orange/white to both the red/blue and red/yellow, this is probably the when you burned out the dimmer switch.
Yeah I reversed them in the post. The switch for sure shorted out even before I connected them both together. I ended up getting a switch off of eBay for $11 so all should be good shortly.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yep... it was the dimmer switch. Got my replacement off of eBay. Must have shorted it out while hooking the radio up. Will disconnect the battery next time. Doh!