4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replaced lower rad support, DID NOT weld

Old 08-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replaced lower rad support, DID NOT weld

Am i playing with fire? Probably. So please dont flame me more lol.

I DO NOT RECOMEND TRYING THIS YOURSELF - I HAVE NOT DRIVEN THIS LONG ENOUGH TO CONFIRM IT IS 100% SAFE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I read up on this plenty beforehand, and found at least two posters referencing how they did this job and did not spot weld the lower rad support - instead they just bolted her in and let it be. However, those posts were practically ancient, and the authors had long since gone inactive without ever updating how it worked out for them.

I also read at least one post that postulated the spot welds are 100% not needed, citing that they exist because the lower rad had to be held in place as the car was assembled at the plant - some of the bolts that hold the lower rad also serve other parts as well that come later in the assembly, thus the need for spot welds.

So, i took the plunge and rolled the dice, and replaced my lower rad without welding whatsoever. I did not get to drive much at all afterwards, because my axles were SHOT and making new horrible noises. Also basically all of my front suspension bushings were on their way out or gone (end link bushings? Whats that?) so i had to have the car sit for a few weeks while i took care of that. All in all i got new axles, control arms/ball joint, end links, and sway bar bushings in - but thats another story.

Ive had the car done for a few days now, NO issues other than noise coming from my wheel wells (brakes feel shot and being replaced - wheel bearings feel fine with no play in wheels), and a *very* faint and light rattle from my front left side. Im 99% sure that rattle is little piece of sheet metal thats bent and vibrating against something as i did not have the best possible tools for cutting out the welds and left some crap bent up in there. However within a week or so when i have time im going to pull the front end and confirm that.

So, overall - car feels and drives great, with everything i just did, the drive feels better than when i first got her at 112k (shes at 127k now).

I will be updating this thread periodically with how this is holding up for me, and will inform you guys if anything bad happens. I also told a buddy of mine to come here and let you guys know if i die in a horrible accident just i case
If you guys have questions/comments feel free to post away.

And to finish, i leave you with some rad support gore:

Old 08-25-2014, 08:23 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Am i playing with fire? Probably. So please dont flame me more lol.
Came for the 5-star intro

Originally Posted by Slamrod
I will be updating this thread periodically with how this is holding up for me, and will inform you guys if anything bad happens. I also told a buddy of mine to come here and let you guys know if i die in a horrible accident just i case
Stayed for the conclusion. Was not disappointed

Seriously though, good luck with the repair man. I wouldn't have tried that, but I hope it holds up for you, be safe out there.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:00 AM

So do you have a picture of this job?
Old 08-26-2014, 05:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
So do you have a picture of this job?
Nope. I considered taking a few pics but theres really nothing special at all to see, plus i was sweaty and covered with metal bits from all the grinding and drilling of the welds.

Its held in place mainly by the 6 bolts on the sides (3 per side), and the bolts that hold the bumper in - i think 4 thick ones plus the two smaller ones that are part of the lower rad itself. Its also attatched at the bottom by the two cross member bolts but i wouldnt really consider those as supporting the rad.

It sounds sketchy on paper understandably, but it feels solid. I kicked and shoved the thing and made sure the bolts are all torqued nice and tight with a 3' breaker bar AKA metal fence post.

Ive also been trying to intentionally "torque" the lower rad by bucking the car a bit to see if i can make it loosen up. I figure if its going to sh*t out on me, that would be the thing to do it, and im better off causing it intentionally and catching it early than having it loosen when im not as aware. As a saftey precaution, im keeping my radio turned off for the next couple of months until im fully confident in the damn thing - im pulling the front off to inspect at the slightest hint of a noise.

In all im 100% aware that this may result in epic failure, with my lower rad ripping loose and my entire front end basically being ran over and my car being totalled. So far im very confident that wont happen, and ill keep this thread bumped with observations and status reports as often as needed.

AGAIN - - - ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! I *DO NOT* RECOMEND YOU DO THIS YOURSELF!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 AM

Took a lot of time to do that I bet and you didn't even pull your phone out for a quick pic?
Old 08-26-2014, 06:40 AM

Before I purchased a spot welder last year I gave it thoughts of just bolting on an OEM lower radiator support. As you stated a few members tried this already but never kept in touch . I also read were some members predicted those spot welds were just used during assembly to hold the support in place.

Last year I purchased a spot welder then installed a new OEM lower radiator support. Removing the front end and drilling/ grinding off those numerous spot welds took much longer than welding on the new one.

As you said for members who don't weld keep them posted on how it holds .
Old 08-26-2014, 06:44 AM

so, why the long post and no pics? you need to get underneath and snap a couple pics now cause you've peaked my/other op's curiosity.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by max ride 41
so, why the long post and no pics? you need to get underneath and snap a couple pics now cause you've peaked my/other op's curiosity.
I made the thread mainly to let everyone know i didnt weld my support in, and to give updates on how thats working out for me. Im going to either be correct with my assumptions and prove and for all that welding is not needed for this job afterall, or, succeed in pulling off perhaps one of the most epic fails in the history of the org. Obviously im pretty damn confident in my assumptions or else i wouldnt take the risk.

But lol im not understanding what exactly you guys want pics of. It looks exactly the same as a "normal" lower rad installation except the only difference is the sheet metal behind it where the spot welds would go is a bit chewed up from the drilling, grinding, cutting and dremeling. Absolutely nothing is changed, just imagine pulling your old support off and bolting in the new one and skipping the welding part.

I dont know when the next time i will be pulling the front end off (a week or two maybe) but i suppose i can take a few pics, there really is nothing at all to see though lol. In the meantime i can try to dig up some generic pics of the bolt locations if that would satisfy you guys?
Old 08-26-2014, 05:03 PM

PICS MAN, Y U TEASE??!~!?!?
Old 08-26-2014, 05:09 PM

I just basically bolted mine is as well about three years no four years ago. Been fine. I coated it with extra por 15 and rubberized coating before mounting it.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by max ride 41
PICS MAN, Y U TEASE??!~!?!?
What do you want pics of?

Im 100% serious i dont know what youre looking for. The bolt locations? A full front end view? The spot where i mangled the sheet metal a bit cutting the old support out?

Ill take pics when i get there ill see if i can get some pics from another car in the meantime to demonstrate what im talking about.

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
I just basically bolted mine is as well about three years no four years ago. Been fine. I coated it with extra por 15 and rubberized coating before mounting it.
Very reassuring, thanks for the input. Did you have any issues at all (rattling, etc)?

So far my only issue seems to be some of that sheet metal i left behind rattling, but thats more so a fault in me rushing to get the job done in time for work rather than an issue with not welding.

Last edited by Slamrod; 08-26-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:39 PM
Got Retrofit?

Take some pics of the front end so I can see the headlights
Old 08-26-2014, 06:58 PM

I did a 4th gen and 5 th gen lower support didnt weld either but i did use pop rivets honestly with the bolts on the side its solid the 4th gen is used to deliver papers and its gone thru a snow bank and hit multiple deer ( 5 or more ) and the rad support is still good
Old 08-30-2014, 06:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Take some pics of the front end so I can see the headlights
Haha youre going to kill me but i actually never got those installed yet :3

I actually went to put them on as i was finishing this job, but as the weatherstrips are missing, it just didnt really look good with the gap. Im trying to find a rubber material that i can use to cut to size and use instead because findig "spare" R34 weatherstips (if someone has these PM me ) simply is not going to happen lol. Also you might have already concluded that i never got that pricecheck on this job considering i had to do it myself in my driveway :P

As an update, im going to need to replace my lower motor mounts because the crossmember bolted to the old rad support was practically hanging by a rusty, 1inch strip of metal, which i guess strained the motor mounts enough to destroy them. When i do this job il pull the front end for you guys to see. Im going to be using ES mounts so that should REALLY put the "no weld" install to the test.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Got Retrofit?

Oh man lol Wish I had some laying around that I could send to ya. Almost lost one of mine the other day.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:06 PM

No rattling or noise.
The engine 'cradle' is basically bolted onto the lower radiator support.
Which means all the engine weight is on those two bolts.
So this fact alone means that it's alright if the lower radiator support is just bolted in. Just be sure to coat the crap out of it, especially the bolts.
Of course, welding it back in addition won't hurt either. I would of welded mine back in, if I had my trusty Harbor Freight 90A 120v welder!
Oh, and I'm using ES poly mounts as well.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:36 PM

Follow up

Sorry to resurrect a three month old thread but I just discovered my rusted radiator support too. Can anyone point out a tutorial on doing this job. My car is already VERY apart for a bunch of other rehab projects so I'm hoping this can be done in conjunction and I can get the spot welding done after it is back together. It will be awhile before it would be ready to go to the welder.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:24 PM

Old 02-04-2015, 07:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey gents, figures now would be a good time to update on this thread.
Old maxi got her sh*t pushed in this morning. Still waiting for insurance to do their thing, but in all likelyhood she is going to be totaled.

As far as the radiator support goes, never had any issues whatsoever from not welding it. It even survived the accident just fine (although to be fair the damage was higher up).

All in all, this pretty much concludes this thread. I will either be pulling her apart for parts or fixing her up to sell, so obviously i cant continue with further updates. Overall, in my *UNPROFESSIONAL OPINION* , i would recomend not welding to those who are unable to do so themselves or are on a tight budget. There has been zero issues with this and there is zero evidence of an issue arising in the future.

And heres a pic of poor maxi's busted face ._.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Got Retrofit?

At least the R34s weren't destroyed! That sucks though. Sorry for your loss.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:48 PM

Sorry to see that happened, that sucks.