Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Car wont start after intake manifold, rear valve cover job (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/686371-car-wont-start-after-intake-manifold-rear-valve-cover-job.html)

NAS 04-25-2015 10:54 AM

Car wont start after intake manifold, rear valve cover job

Had a leak in a rear spark plug tube so like all good maxima owners I took on the challenge of doing the rear valve cover seal, spark plug tube seals and such.

Removing the intake manifold is a *****. Broke a valve cover bolt, sucks no biggy... New spark plugs installed while its easy and they are needed anyway NGK PFR5G-11 2647, new fuel lines installed around the fuel rails and the fuel pressure regulator, new pcv valve. Get everything put back together double triple check connectors, hoses, car turns over perfectly fine but will not fire. Tried cycling on the key without starting 5-6 times still the same, turns wont fire dosnt pop does nothing except turn. What do I check? I went back with a flashlight and looked at all electrical connectors, hoses, intake, cant find anything wrong. Neg battery terminal was disconnected while working on car btw.

JoshG 04-25-2015 11:06 AM

u did the job or a mechanic did? how many miles u have on it now?

NAS 04-25-2015 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by JoshG (Post 9042001)
u did the job or a mechanic did? how many miles u have on it now?

I did obviously. 96650 miles.

NAS 04-25-2015 01:52 PM

Took the intake off and was looking things over, saw the hard line EGR tube gasket laying on the trans housing.. would this cause the car not to start? Before I tear the intake manifold off again to install this gasket.

uttadms31 04-25-2015 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by NAS (Post 9042022)
Took the intake off and was looking things over, saw the hard line EGR tube gasket laying on the trans housing.. would this cause the car not to start? Before I tear the intake manifold off again to install this gasket.

Not sure if it is the cause but I'm positive it will screw up your idle so you'll need to add the gasket either way. This gasket was the most frustrating part of the process for me. I'd recommend light superglueing/RTV it beforehand and a bit of luck that it stays on. And next time before you tighten its two bolts and reattach everything, feel to make sure it's there so you don't have to do it all again, I'd check for codes if you have any to see what you're issue might be. I've never worked with fuel lines so not sure if it could be something with that

asand1 04-25-2015 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by uttadms31 (Post 9042030)
Not sure if it is the cause but I'm positive it will screw up your idle so you'll need to add the gasket either way. This gasket was the most frustrating part of the process for me. I'd recommend light superglueing/RTV it beforehand and a bit of luck that it stays on. And next time before you tighten its two bolts and reattach everything, feel to make sure it's there so you don't have to do it all again, I'd check for codes if you have any to see what you're issue might be. I've never worked with fuel lines so not sure if it could be something with that

I used dental floss to tie the gasket onto the flange, through the bolt holes. Cut the floss and remove before tightening.

LuminousX 04-26-2015 05:42 AM

you should check to make sure all the coilpacks are plugged in, and secure, and that your fuel line as fuel going threw it, those are the only things needed to start the car, it turns over so the starter is working, it's either no spark, or no fuel...

TurboA32 04-26-2015 06:59 AM

Did you remove the the ground wires on the lower manifold by accident? Did you make sure you re plugged all the harnesses that you disconnected? If so its possible that your timing jumped

M in KC 04-27-2015 07:26 AM

Start with verifying the presence of spark and fuel and go from there. A missing EGR gasket will not prevent it from starting.

NAS 04-27-2015 07:31 AM

Manifold removed EGR gasket installed. All connections were checked. Found a small vent hose on the intake right behind the right side of the throttle body that wasnt hooked back up but it should still start even with that. Hooked it up... FINALLY found a loose wire a the crank position sensor. FIXED! car starts and runs great.

Bone Collector 04-27-2015 12:02 PM

Good to hear, good job brah...