Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999-6/)
-   -   Can I replace fuel filter? (https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/689418-can-i-replace-fuel-filter.html)

bumpypickle 09-14-2015 11:37 PM

Can I replace fuel filter?

So I have my stock intake, iacv, and throttle body off of my 97 5mt because I'm cleaning them all. I plan on doing the egr valve, temp sensor, pcv valve and sparkplugs while everything is out, but right now those three parts are off my engine. I ordered a puralator fuel filter and didn't expect to get it this fast and already have these parts off my car so it would be nice to be able to change that while they're all off.

My question is, with those parts off (stock air box, iacv,throttle body, &corresponding electircal connectors/coolant hose, can I safely remove the fuel pump fuse and relieve fuel pressure to change out the fuel filter w/o damaging anything? The last time I changed a fuel filter on my 97 auto, I believe those said parts were attatched, well at least the iacv and throtle body that is.

Turbobink 09-15-2015 05:04 AM

In reality I'm thinking you can, but I'm also thinking of a few reasons why you shouldn't.

If it were me, I'd wait until things got put back together.

M in KC 09-15-2015 10:35 AM

Ahh, put two hemostats on the flexible fuel hose and replace the filter. You should have a pretty straight shot at it with all that removed. I've never pulled the fuel pump fuse and bled the pressure off the system when I've changed mine. You're gonna dribble a small amount of fuel out of the filter either way.

Half Assed 09-15-2015 02:09 PM

It's going to leak whether you pull the fuse or not. I'd be more worried about getting fuel shot in my eyes than all over the engine bay. It will easier to access with those parts removed and the fuel spray will evaporate by the time you get the other stuff back on.

Daniel VQ30life 09-15-2015 04:26 PM

No need to remove fuse, gas losses will be unnoticeable, not even an 8 oz glass will leak out, but now is a good time to do it, its not exactly fun with everything in the way

ef9 09-15-2015 08:49 PM

I prefer to pull the fuse and run the car till it dies. I had fuel spray in my face when doing otherwise.

The Wizard 09-15-2015 09:27 PM

I wouldn't worry about pulling the fuse. I've pulled the fuse and not pulled the fuse...the difference is negligible if the car has sat for a while.

cashoit 09-16-2015 06:59 AM

i wdnt start the car the with all those parts removed. just drain the fuel to a bucket if anything.

bumpypickle 09-18-2015 07:05 PM

Thanks for the reply guys I know how to relieve fuel pressure just wanted to know if it's safe to do it with intake off.

Daniel VQ30life 09-19-2015 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ef9 (Post 9071590)
I prefer to pull the fuse and run the car till it dies. I had fuel spray in my face when doing otherwise.

You didn't remove the lower hose first?

maximaham 09-20-2015 08:22 AM

man just wrap it with towels pull the hoses replace and be done with.