4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

P0500 but not why you think

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 07:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

P0500 but not why you think

I have a 97 Maxima SE Manual Trans that has a P0500 code. Speedometer does not work. Weird thing is at first it would move slightly if you floored it. I replaced VSS. I replaced cluster. Twice. No change. I took cluster apart and tightened the screws and checked for broken solder joints. Nothing. I then figured out how to test the speedo off the car by wiring the VSS and power to the cluster. I then used a drill with a pinion snubber in it to turn the gear and, guess what? It worked! Speedo needle moves. Now I am thinking "It's the wiring in the car", even though I did continuity tests and all appeared fine. SO I bypassed all of the harness wiring and wired the VSS directly to the cluster with power and ground. Plugged in VSS and spun it. Works fine. Put it in the car and...NOTHING. It seems the VSS is not turning when in the transmission. I took it out and stuck my finger in the hole but I don't feel anything. No gear, no shaft, nothing. I stuck a screwdriver in there in case my finger wasn't long enough. Nothing. What the heck is going on? Has anyone heard of such a thing?
Old 10-10-2015, 02:52 AM
ef9

Interesting, and great troubleshooting.

Best bet would be to tear it apart.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ef9
Interesting, and great troubleshooting.

Best bet would be to tear it apart.
I'll sell the car before I go into that trans. Just not worth the trouble.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:53 AM

I have the same problems. Im hoping a gauge cluster change will fix it as the head of the bolt on the vss snapped off
Old 10-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bumpypickle
I have the same problems. Im hoping a gauge cluster change will fix it as the head of the bolt on the vss snapped off
Which problems? I'm confused. You can't replace the VSS so you hope the cluster is bad? You could drill and remove the broken bolt with an extractor. That would need to happen no matter what is at fault.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Autoexec
Which problems? I'm confused. You can't replace the VSS so you hope the cluster is bad? You could drill and remove the broken bolt with an extractor. That would need to happen no matter what is at fault.
The problems that relate to that trouble code. Yes I hope it is the cluster because I do not feel like removing that bolt with an extractor. Yes I know what an extractor is, I have one, but it is too tight of a spot for my interest. And if the gauge cluster is really whats wrong with it, which I believe it is because it intermittently works when tapping it, then I don't see the point of even touching the VSS.

Last edited by bumpypickle; 10-10-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The problems that relate to that trouble code. Yes I hope it is the cluster because I do not feel like removing that bolt with an extractor. Yes I know what an extractor is, I have one, but it is too tight of a spot for my interest. And if the gauge cluster is really whats wrong with it, which I believe it is because it intermittently works when tapping it, then I don't see the point of even touching the VSS.
I get that it is a pain, but you have to realize the car doesn't care. If there is nothing holding the VSS in it can work it's way out. Did you do the usual tightening of the screws on the back of the cluster?
Old 10-10-2015, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Autoexec
I get that it is a pain, but you have to realize the car doesn't care. If there is nothing holding the VSS in it can work it's way out. Did you do the usual tightening of the screws on the back of the cluster?
The bolt is seized which is why the head broke off. It ain't going anywhere lol, and yeah, I carefully took it off and tightened to no avail. I'm picking up a cluster locally from someone off CL in the next week for $20 though,so hopefully thats the issue. I could care less about the rpm gauge, although being manual it would be nice to know when im about to hit redline. I just care about the odometer
Old 10-11-2015, 05:49 AM

The bolt is seized which is why the head broke off. It isn't going anywhere lol, and yeah, I carefully took it off and tightened it to no avail. I'm picking up a cluster locally from someone off CL in the next week for $20 though,so hopefully that's the issue. I could'nt care less about the tachometer, although being manual it would be nice to know when i'm about to hit redline. I just care about the odometer
Fixed it for you. You're welcome.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by asand1
Fixed it for you. You're welcome.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any further news?

I'm chasing the same issue as the OP. I ha e replaced the VSS and tried swapping out the gauge cluster. I have tightened the screws on the back of the speedo as well as resoldered the 8 connections on the back of the speedo. Are there any further steps I have missed?
Old 10-27-2015, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by jgreaves42
I'm chasing the same issue as the OP. I ha e replaced the VSS and tried swapping out the gauge cluster. I have tightened the screws on the back of the speedo as well as resoldered the 8 connections on the back of the speedo. Are there any further steps I have missed?
When i bought my maxi my speedo didnt work, replaced the sensor, still nothing. Came to realize that the wire harnesa rides up the front of the trans and i guess it gets real hot in there cause they were burnt bare, rewired it and good as new
Old 10-29-2015, 05:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice idea

Originally Posted by Diesel_hunter
When i bought my maxi my speedo didnt work, replaced the sensor, still nothing. Came to realize that the wire harnesa rides up the front of the trans and i guess it gets real hot in there cause they were burnt bare, rewired it and good as new
I have replaced the vss and its wiring. The gauge cluster has been swapped out twice since it was a suspect part and I'm just gonna put the original one back in and see what Nissan make of it. I have done all the checks and rechecks I can find but since I suck at wiring I'm just gonna suck it up. I will take a copy of the TSB about the harness over the engine with me and see if they can chase it down that way. Thanks for the input and I'll let you know how it all shakes out.
J
Old 10-29-2015, 10:18 AM
JvG

Jgreaves42, please let us know of the outcome once the Nissan dealer is done. Also the parts and labor charges.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok here's the final verdict...
The DSPO (Dip Sh*t Previous Owner) had disconnected one of the speed sensors to the transmission! The cause of the stalling at idle has since been resolved as a break in the wiring to the IAT sensor. They are weak on the outside of the sensor where the wire pigtails to the connector. Now that that has been ordered and all transmission codes cleared the only light left is an abs sensor light for the left rear.
I hope this helps... good luck to all those chasing silly gremlins.