4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Used throttle body with tps is the only fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 06:34 AM

Used throttle body with tps is the only fix

I had my tps replaced by a mechanic and the car idled a little low and checking the resitance it was at 488 ohms and I tried fixing the resistance myself but it never ran ran right and it never stayed at 500 ohms. One time I actually got it at 500 ohms closed and 4000 open but then it had problems starting. So i gave up and bought a throttle body from ebay which was in mint condition and it had no gunk on throttle plate at all as it was clean for only $10.00. Right as I installed it my idle went back to normal and the hards shifting in 1 to 2 gear was gone. The idled now stays at 700 rpm and no longer dips down like it did before. Also the headlights no longer dim out and windows roll up faster than before because the idle is at normal which gives the car power it needs. My original tps lasted me 265,000 miles and it was not even bad in the first place. I just replaced it because was low in drive at 600 rpm but then I realized everybody's idle was like that in drive. I know now the tps is really picky and sensitive to proper specifications for your car to run right. As I start the car now the rpms shoot up real fast like a new car and start like its new again. Moral of the story is that if you dont know how properly install a tps or the mechanic didnt do it right or you want save money just buy a used throttle body. I spent days and days trying to properly adjust the tps and all I got was back aches instead. Never again will I mess with the tps sensor again. If it ever comes down to it I will buy another throttle body or take it to the dealer or a mechanic that actually knows how to adjust according to the fsm.

Last edited by Maxima 97 SE; 12-28-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:46 AM

Moral of the story is that if you dont know how properly install a tps or the mechanic didnt do it right or you want save money just buy a used throttle body.
Maybe so in this case, however you have to keep in mind that along with a used throttle body you will also likely received a used TPS which, depending on it's age and adjustment, might result in the same issues, or worse.

Replacement of the TPS is a simple operation.

Adjustment of the TPS may take a little trial and error.

Glad to hear you've gotten your issue fixed with just $10.00 (new TPS runs a minimum of ~ $70 on to well over $100). But, I would venture a guess that your outcome won't be the norm.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Maybe so in this case, however you have to keep in mind that along with a used throttle body you will also likely received a used TPS which, depending on it's age and adjustment, might result in the same issues, or worse.

Replacement of the TPS is a simple operation.

Adjustment of the TPS may take a little trial and error.

Glad to hear you've gotten your issue fixed with just $10.00 (new TPS runs a minimum of ~ $70 on to well over $100). But, I would venture a guess that your outcome won't be the norm.
Yes the age part is true but like I said the throttle body and Tps were in great condition and it looked like it did not have that many miles on it. As long as the car runs and operates like it should for only $10.00 I'm happy. My original Tps like I said had 265,000 miles and wasn't even bad so im hoping for this one to last a while.