4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Pulley or just Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 10:08 AM

Pulley or just Alternator?

car has 175k on it, went a couple months without driving the car, when I drove it again it sounded like there was clicking/light knocking noise coming from the belt area. This was about 1k miles ago, mechanic told me it sounded to him like timing chain noise and he said my pulley seemed good.

Well yesterday, I go to give my friend a ride to work, come out from his house and when i started it there was a light squealing noise that had just started, can't hear it when i get the car going but when i popped the hood there was also little smoke coming out from just behind the belt area towards the firewall. On my way home my battery and seatbelt lights came on like the alternator was shot, which doesn't make sense to me because i just put that alternator in a few months ago.

I did also just install a grounding kit a few days ago if that might have any relevance.

are smoke and squeeling signs of a failing alternator? if so, could my grounding kit be the culprit? I will upload pictures of the spots i grounded later when i get the chance
Old 02-07-2017, 11:33 AM
JvG

This is a symptom of a siezed bearing somewhere.

The alternator or the tensioner bearing, or possibly the harmonic balancer is seperating.

Basicly, the belt is trying to turn something which refuses to turn any more. The friction would create heat, and the smoke you are seeing and probably smelling.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
This is a symptom of a siezed bearing somewhere.

The alternator or the tensioner bearing, or possibly the harmonic balancer is seperating.

Basicly, the belt is trying to turn something which refuses to turn any more. The friction would create heat, and the smoke you are seeing and probably smelling.
how would i figure out which one it is? take off the belt and see if they all spin freely? should they all spin freely?
Old 02-07-2017, 07:47 PM
JvG

Yes, loosen the belt.

The belt powers the alternaror, the a/c clutch, and the tensioner.

One of these is not spinning freely. One of these od the cause of your problm .

Also do a search on the forum about harmonic balancer pully issues. This unit looks like a pully mounted on the crankshaft.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:27 PM

I agree with JvG, Might be your Harmonic Balancer (Crank Pulley). Eventually the rubber between the metal gives up the ghost and lets go and smokes. Power steering and alternator won't be working.

Last edited by KP11520; 02-07-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:23 AM

My harmonic balancer gave up at about 170k. Had a screaming chirp coming from the engine compartment where the belt was trying to slip off. Every time the belt would re-seat itself it would scream a little.

Quick fix!

Also, to pull the balancer, if you can't get the bolt loose from the crank shaft, put a breaker on the bolt, set a 2x4 on the floor of your garage and brace the breaker against it. Be sure that the breaker will brace *against* the direction of the spin. Scotty Kilmer has a nice little video about it.

With all the belts off just engage the starter for a fraction of a second. The bolt should turn itself free. It's worked for me twice so far.

Last edited by Shrout1; 02-08-2017 at 10:47 AM.