4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transaxle output shaft seals - manual

Old 02-08-2017, 11:06 AM

Transaxle output shaft seals - manual

Trying to ID the part numbers of the seals I need for the transmission when I replace my CV Axles.

My transaxle is model RS5F50A (placard on the firewall); I have a five speed manual.

On the automatic maxima apparently the driver / passenger side seals apparently differ in size...

Any pointers on replacing the CV Axles would also be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
Old 02-08-2017, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
For the passenger side, I use National Seal Part # 710124 - The same seal works for VLSD or non-VLSD, Automatic or Manual. That's the only seal that I need to keep in stock for the passenger side. It works on all of my 4th gens.

You can see the double lip inside the seal that really does a good job of keeping the transmission lubricant inside the transmission.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0071&ppt=C0338

I just installed one earlier this week. No leaks.

Are you working by yourself? I have you have a helper, I can share a trick for how I mount the seal on the passenger side.

Can you snap a picture of where the shaft goes into the transmission? I think I can tell by looking if you have the wrong shaft.
That's the seal I used on the passenger side also. I'm not sure about the driver side. I haven't done that one myself.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:23 PM
JvG

These need to be pressed in evenly on all sides.

I've found that a plastic plumbing coupling for drain pipes work well for this. Find one about the same size as the hard part of the seal. Tap in a little at a time with a hammer. .
Old 02-08-2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by komik
That's the seal I used on the passenger side also. I'm not sure about the driver side. I haven't done that one myself.
Thanks! I actually have that one in my cart on Amazon already Can't quite figure out the driver side and there's no clear indicator anywhere... The FSM seems silent on it as well but perhaps I need to dig a little more.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by JvG

I've found that a plastic plumbing coupling for drain pipes work well for this. Find one about the same size as the hard part of the seal. Tap in a little at a time with a hammer. .
Thanks! That was another tip I came across today and I'm certainly going to give it a try
Old 02-09-2017, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by JvG

For sure.

Here's a thread post below about my homemade "suitable tool" for installing CV seals. The length is most useful on the passenger side where working room is limited. I call this my "KenMoore" CV axle seal tool.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ml#post9135915

::
Old 02-09-2017, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Shrout1
Thanks! I actually have that one in my cart on Amazon already Can't quite figure out the driver side and there's no clear indicator anywhere... The FSM seems silent on it as well but perhaps I need to dig a little more.
Check National Part 710119.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:00 PM

Ok - neither 710124 or 710119 fits the driver's side.

The original seal (which is rather mangled after being removed) is 2.3 Inches around with an inner diameter of 1.5 inches...

I can't find a part number and I can't find it in the haynes or factory service manual... Anyone know what seal this is supposed to be?

Can I find the part number somehow? Call Nissan maybe??
Old 02-24-2017, 12:11 PM

Ok found it in the following post

DennisMik answered the question about two years ago:
Originally Posted by DennisMik
710124 = right side (passenger) seal
710118 = left side (driver) seal

The 2 axles have a different size yoke (the piece that goes into the differential).
Right side seal has I.D. of 1.299 inch
Left side seal has I.D. of 1.535 inch

Last edited by Shrout1; 03-05-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:34 PM

Links to 710119. Hopefully, they work.

Advance Auto

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/n...119&showTitle=

Transmissions

Aichi F50A; 5 Speed
Aichi F50V; 5 Speed

Oreilly

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0071&ppt=C0338

Multiple Applications
5 Speed
- Aichi F50A