4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CV Axles for open dif 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 06:13 AM

CV Axles for open dif 5 speed

My transmission model is RS5F50a.

I'm on Rockauto and I can't figure out which CV axles I need... I see limited slip dif and locking dif but nothing for open, manual transmissions.

Got a torn boot on one with a heavy clunking (it's been too long) and the other side doesn't look too good. About 180k on both axles so I'm going to swap them out for new.

Part number recommendations appreciated! I've heard mixed reviews about Cardone axles, but I'm open to suggestion.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:04 AM

Buy oem
Old 02-09-2017, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by lux97Max
Buy oem
I'm not bent on buying OEM, but if you could even point me towards OEM axles for a 99 I'd consider it. Google doesn't seem to yield anything.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:59 AM

My recommendation is Cardone reman, which I have on my I30 right now. Autozone and Napa remans are the same as A1 Cardone.

Does your car have ABS?

It seems like the correct part numbers for your 4th gen MT, no LSD/locking diff are
with ABS
60-6146 (left)
60-6147 (right)

without ABS
60-6144
60-6145

Cardone's site
NOTE: I used 1998 as the model year, but they should all be the same 95-99.

If you'd rather use the new Cardone Select, just replace the 60 with 66.

Napa and Autozone use different part numbers, but you can still use the Cardone numbers in the search bars on their respective sites.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:21 AM

Thanks! It looks like remaned Cardones are pretty much the only option... A few more years and I'll have to be searching junkyards for this thing! Appreciate the information.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:36 AM

Here's a thread on my recent experience below. It will take at least 3 years to know how this all turns out.

I can tell you from first-hand experience that a lifetime hassle-free replacement "in store" warranty goes a long way if you do experience a problem. I would stay away from any proprietary CV design like the GSP shaft that does not allow the use of OEM inner replacement boots.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...-cv-axles.html
Old 02-09-2017, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shrout1
I'm not bent on buying OEM, but if you could even point me towards OEM axles for a 99 I'd consider it. Google doesn't seem to yield anything.
Lol,l go to your friendly stealership and give them your make year and model vin # will help. And just ask for axels. You cant go wrong.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by lux97Max
Lol,l go to your friendly stealership and give them your make year and model vin # will help. And just ask for axels. You cant go wrong.
Thanks! In the future I will probably do this Looks like the parts pool is running low in the outside world... A few more years on this puppy I hope!
Old 02-10-2017, 06:33 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Shrout1
Thanks! It looks like remaned Cardones are pretty much the only option... A few more years and I'll have to be searching junkyards for this thing! Appreciate the information.
Actually, a low mileage junk yard car axle might have more life in it, with less risk, and a lower price, than rebuilt or remanufacted axles.

There is nothing wrong with using some junkyard parts.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:11 PM

I just realized I lost an axle. When my passenger axle started clicking years ago I bought a used one from someone on here. It was a little rusty, but looked okay. I didn't end up putting it on the car and instead got a re-man from O'Reilly's. I'm thinking of replacing it again now that the boot has been torn for a while and the threads are stripped at the end of the axle. (I might have hit it wrong with a hammer in a hurry to replace the wheel bearing.) I wonder where that other axle went. Maybe it's buried somewhere in the old shed.