4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

H&R 53059 Sport Spring [Pictures]

Old 02-12-2017, 09:34 AM

H&R 53059 Sport Spring [Pictures]

Here is some information and pictures about H & R lowering springs that I recently installed on the 98 model listed below.

Price:

H&R 53059 Sport Spring $198.98 + shipping. www.redline360.com.

Lowering:

Front Lowering: 1.4 in, Rear Lowering: 1.3 in.

Service:

Alex at www.redline360.com was able to locate the "last set" of 53059 from their inventory management system. Other sites listed the item as discontinued or would take an order and then fail to deliver. In the end, www.Redline360.com came through for me with the H&R springs that I like.

I see Redline360 sells other performance modification parts for 4th gen Maximas. I definitely plan to do more business with www.redline360.com.

Pictures:

The gold pinstripe and window shades will be removed after the weather warms later in the spring. Also, later this year some 17" Nissan Juke wheels will replace the original saw blades.

Name:  80_HR_Lowering_Springs_zpsenhtwikg.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  383.2 KB

Name:  82_HR_Lowering_Springs_zpsgfjyqjw4.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  326.3 KB

Name:  81_HR_Lowering_Springs_zpss1b9lqvo.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  258.3 KB

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-12-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:31 AM

If I only could.......

Swap the entire bottom of my 99 with yours! (sheet metal and all) And the LSD transmission too!

Now that you have the suspension like new, are you planning to do anything about wind noise from the old and shriveled up door and window seals for that totally new car quiet?

One of my pet peeves about old cars.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:09 PM

yo craig, car looks good. you should resto those headlights and you'd be lookin as good as my max!!!
Old 02-12-2017, 01:52 PM

Thanks B. I have a set of glass headlights from a 95 model that I'm thinking about installing. The plastics take a lot of maintenance to keep them looking like new.

Originally Posted by KP11520
Now that you have the suspension like new, are you planning to do anything about wind noise from the old and shriveled up door and window seals for that totally new car quiet?

One of my pet peeves about old cars.
Actually, the driver side door seals were heavily worn when I got it.
Now it has some "almost like new" door seals that I moved to it from the I30. I keep an eye out for good seals when I visit the yards and snag them.

I use a rubber conditioner from Japan that I learned about from the Honda Odyssey (e.g. big sliding door) people to condition and lubricate door seals named "Shin Etsu" grease. It seems to help the seals last and it keeps them from sticking in freezing weather. I think it has kept the door seals on the 26 year old Q45 well preserved over the years.

Here's a guy with a z32 that used it to remedy a t-top leak.

And another video on it.

Part 2.

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-12-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:28 PM

I have the same springs too they made the car look 100x better height wise, I would of gone lower but didn't want my boots to be torn in a couple months after lowering.

How do u plan to remove the gold pinstripes? Doesn't that require a whole new paint-job?

The plastic headlights on mine are like new, Just clean them really good and make sure no yellowing are present in any angle and then apply a protective seal on the headlight (similar to what high end cars use) to protect it from yellowing quick and also stay looking like new longer.

I would say get some clears for the tail-lights and de-badge it!

Overall, the car looks really good when its done right, looking better than most basic cars out there today. For some reason It just has more soul/meaning into it.

Last edited by JoshG; 02-12-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:01 AM

i scraped my pinstripes off with my fingernail in the summer. that and some goo gone and a whole lot of patience.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by JoshG
I have the same springs too they made the car look 100x better height wise, I would of gone lower but didn't want my boots to be torn in a couple months after lowering.

How do u plan to remove the gold pinstripes? Doesn't that require a whole new paint-job?

The plastic headlights on mine are like new, Just clean them really good and make sure no yellowing are present in any angle and then apply a protective seal on the headlight (similar to what high end cars use) to protect it from yellowing quick and also stay looking like new longer.

I would say get some clears for the tail-lights and de-badge it!

Overall, the car looks really good when its done right, looking better than most basic cars out there today. For some reason It just has more soul/meaning into it.
i have a feeling he's going for a stock look, not a " look at my max, i did mods to it " look.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
The gold pinstripe and window shades will be removed after the weather warms later in the spring.
You're a wise man Craigory S. from Arkansas ...
Old 02-13-2017, 04:46 AM

The 99 SE has H&R springs also. Those have been on for 3 years. The rear drop on it seems to be 1/2 inch lower for some reason. The 98 model seems to be just right. So I'm content with the 1.4 front, 1.3 rear drop.

About 7 years ago I removed pinstripes from the Q45 using Max Ride's method. Also, I had to heat up the area to get the pinstripe to come loose. It can be done, it's just a lot of work. I hope I don't damage the clear coat in the process.

Out of five cars, the Q45 with the glass headlights, is the easiest to maintain of the bunch. It takes the least amount of my time over the course of a year to keep it looking good. So my goal for the 98 model is to build a good solid "low maintenance" car for the long haul.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:32 PM

Craig I didn't realize you have/had one of the rolling barn doors that Honda sells as the Odyssey. I have '07 and those sliding doors are a complicated contraption. I've been battling, like every owner a sliding door rattle. I think I solved mine, but geezus what an ordeal. Your Maximas are on point as usual.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by M in KC
Craig I didn't realize you have/had one of the rolling barn doors that Honda sells as the Odyssey. I have '07 and those sliding doors are a complicated contraption. I've been battling, like every owner a sliding door rattle. I think I solved mine, but geezus what an ordeal. Your Maximas are on point as usual.
It's actually a Ridgeline. But I share a lot of the same problems with Ody owners. Don't get me on a rant. Now you know why I love the 4th gens.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:51 PM

I have restored a lot of headlights by using a low speed electric drill and buffing wheel coupled with some plastic/soft metal polishing compound. The stick kind.... not the creme kind.

So long as you do not press too hard or keep the wheel in one spot for too long, it does a wonderful job. Finish it off by hand buffing in a good coat or two of carnuba, they will look brand new for quite some time.

Mine are still shining after over a year now.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:52 AM

Thanks Sneaky for the idea.

Over the weekend I installed a set of fog lights that I bought from member Lux97Max. He does a nice job with packaging and all. So props to Lux97Max. Also, I put in some new Silverstar H3 bulbs. Those work great. I'm glad that I made the fog light addition.

Fog Light Installation Link

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...s-97-99-a.html

It turns out that one of front tires has a round ball shaped bump coming up on the sidewall. I found the bump yesterday. It won't be long before it blows out. Maybe it will make it a few days until I can get the new tires installed on the 17" Juke rims. Now I don't feel bad about replacing those 15" tires.

On Thursday, I ordered a set of 235/45/17 Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 (W-SPEED RATED) from TireRack at $71.25 each + shipping. We've been running this Sumitomo tire on the Civic since last summer. So based on that good experience, I'm ordering another set for the Max.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...345WR7HTRASP02

Wheels..

So $285 tires + $60 Shipping + $80 installation & balancing = $425 + $250 for wheels brings the wheel and tire total to $675.

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-20-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
On Thursday, I ordered a set of 135/45/17 Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 (W-SPEED RATED) from TireRack at $71.25 each + shipping.
This is a typo ... right?

Please tell me you actually ordered 235s and not 135s.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
This is a typo ... right?

Please tell me you actually ordered 235s and not 135s.
Good catch. Typo fixed. I'm glad you pointed it out.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:43 AM

You live in Arizona, CS? That's not too far from California... why don't you come and work on my car next! Lol!!

Nice work... it's gonna look hot!
Old 02-21-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by SneakyBastard
You live in Arizona, CS? That's not too far from California...
Arizona is abbreviated "AZ".
Old 02-21-2017, 02:01 PM

You are right....still... Arkansas isn't but what?? A 2 day drive?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:23 PM

Firestone mounted and balanced the new tires today. I got the lifetime balance and rotate package. It turns out the store manager has a turbo Juke. Two of the guys in the shop are all about the 240SX. So the place is a big Nissan party. They cut me nice deal at $85 out the door.

So after work I swapped out the saw blades for the new wheels and tires in my driveway. It got dark and foggy fast this evening, so the pictures aren't that great. But here's an idea of how it looks with the 17" Juke wheels.

The 17" wheels with the Sumitomo tires make it drive like a very different car. This car did not handle anything like this when it was new. Now it just feels right.

Since it was starting to get foggy last night, here's picture with the fog lights switched on. Maybe its starting to get a bit of a stately look..

Name:  04_After_Dark_zps64h8ffk0.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  226.3 KB

Another picture when I stopped by Advance Auto on the way home from the car wash.

Name:  03_After_Dark_zpsdfsgnzti.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  240.6 KB

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-23-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:41 PM

Very sweet, my man... very sweet indeed.

Lol! When I quickly looked at the top picture and was scrolling down... I had to do a double take and go back up..
It looked like it was sitting high in the back and had a scoop on the hood! Lol! For a second I thought you made a Maxima Dragster! [8oO~

It was just the way the bottom part of the window in the background contrasted with the trash can...gave a bit of an optical illusion....lol
Old 02-24-2017, 05:24 AM

Thanks Sneaky. Strangely, I don't seem to mind the pinstripe so much after changing the wheels. I hope to remove the plastic window covers this weekend.

Since my local AA store doesn't seem to stock rear Wagner Thermoquiet pads for a 4th gen, I bought some Akebono ProACT ceramic brake pads from TireRack along with the new tires. I've been running both ProACT and Thermoquiet for years on other cars where they seem to be very similar for long life the low-dust. Both seem to work equally well.

So I will be running Thermoquiet on the front and ProACT on the rear. We'll see how it goes. I will install the new pads when I do a complete rear suspension bushing replacement job next month. I need a couple of days for that project.

Last edited by CS_AR; 02-24-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:15 AM

I've noticed you never take pictures on the passenger side of the car lol
Old 02-24-2017, 01:38 PM

I've noticed you never take pictures on the passenger side of the car lol
I can take some this weekend.. Since I'm in and out of the driver side, I tend to start there.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:46 PM

Craig, I have to say you really do beautiful work!

And you share on how you do it, like a true Educator Professional.

And we, the students, benefit immensely!

You're a good man and an incredible asset for this 4th Gen dimension!

Thank You!
Old 02-24-2017, 03:17 PM

Craig is great! He gets the 4th gen spirits flowing. I also bought another round of stuff from Lux97Max - He packs things up really nicely. He helped me remedy all of my emissions codes... now he is also sending me a knock sensor among many other things My two $10 knock sensors weren't any good... I have now learned you cannot buy cheap parts for this car and expect them to work properly. Next up is a replacement transmission resistor as mine has a horrible time downshifting (You have to really dig into the pedal before she decides to downshift).

All hail, King Maximus!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
Craig, I have to say you really do beautiful work!

And you share on how you do it, like a true Educator Professional.

And we, the students, benefit immensely!

You're a good man and an incredible asset for this 4th Gen dimension!

Thank You!
Here! Here! I agree completely!!!

Search this Thread