4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Will two different brands of shock on front affect performance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Will two different brands of shock on front affect performance?

Hi
Does it make a difference if I have 2 brands of shock absorbers on the front? I have one kyb and one Monroe. will it make a difference to the cars performance?
thanks
Old 02-17-2017, 03:22 PM

Unless you're doing serious road racing I doubt you'll notice a difference. I think I have the same setup. I put new KYB's on the front of mine a few years ago, but only replaced the struts themselves and not the springs or mounts or anything (because I was cheap and foolish). While living back in New Orleans for some time the awful roads there wore out my old strut mount on the driver's side and it tried to escape through the hood leaving a nice dent. I took it to my favorite mechanic who replaced it with a "quick-strut" assembly, which is probably Monroe or similar. It's been at least a year now and I can't tell the difference between the two.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:05 PM

It may or may not. Sometimes differnet brands have differnet valving. For example, KYB's are said to be more firm than Monroe,

Have you installed them yet? If they're already on the car and you don't feel anything strange, then it will probably be OK.

But if you didn't install them yet, try to get the same kind for both fronts. They should at least be in pairs. If you can return them, you may be better off with quick struts instead. Monroe makes quick struts for the 4th gen, but sadly KYB does not.