4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Different sway bar bushings for different trims??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 02:59 PM

Different sway bar bushings for different trims??

Rock auto says that these sway bar bushings work in a 99 Maxima, but when I enter my trim into Amazon it says that they don't work:

https://www.amazon.com/Moog-K90585-Sway-Bar-Bushing/dp/B000EQ81C4 https://www.amazon.com/Moog-K90585-Sway-Bar-Bushing/dp/B000EQ81C4

I have an SE Limited that must have been manufactured in the last half of 99. These bushings are "not compatible" for the SE according to Amazon... Does that seem right? Doing the end links in a couple weeks figure I'd get the sway bar bushings too.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:43 PM
98 SE

I have a 98 SE and Rock Auto also shipped me some sway bar bushings. They were not round enough. The SE sway bar is larger than the GLE and regular Maxima. Amazon is probably right. Search for OEM SE sway bar bushings.

Rock Auto parts didn't fit. Save yourself some time and effort and just buy Nissan OEM SE sway bar bushings. More expensive but they fit and work.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
I have a 98 SE and Rock Auto also shipped me some sway bar bushings. They were not round enough. The SE sway bar is larger than the GLE and regular Maxima. Amazon is probably right. Search for OEM SE sway bar bushings.

Rock Auto parts didn't fit. Save yourself some time and effort and just buy Nissan OEM SE sway bar bushings. More expensive but they fit and work.
Thanks!! Do you recall a part number or what I should be googling? Need to look through the FSM and see if they specify what the original part is...
Old 03-19-2017, 06:08 PM

Sadly no label on the bushing :P

However I did find a great old post about this: "What size sway bar bushings"

Looks like I need 20mm front sway bar bushings. Energy Suspension makes part 7.5118G and they can be
had on Amazon had on Amazon
for not too much.

One review mentions that the bushing didn't hold up very well. Anyone else have experience with Energy Suspension products? Don't know if I have any other choice... Perhaps OEM. Doesn't look like Moog makes this part, sadly.
Attached Thumbnails Different sway bar bushings for different trims??-sway_bar_bushing_unlabeled.png  

Last edited by Shrout1; 03-19-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:40 AM
98 SE

I can't find my receipts at home, but as I recall now, the Rock Auto bushings (Beck/Arnley) that said they fit an SE, did not. They did not fit the larger SE front sway bar. I believe I may have reused my old bushings just to get her back on the road.

Sorry I can't be of more help. My son took the car to college and receipts and replaced part tags (part numbers) are in the car.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 AM

I can't find my receipts at home, but as I recall now, the Rock Auto bushings (Beck/Arnley) that said they fit an SE, did not. They did not fit the larger SE front sway bar. I believe I may have reused my old bushings just to get her back on the road.

Sorry I can't be of more help. My son took the car to college and receipts and replaced part tags (part numbers) are in the car.
Ok thanks!!

I went ahead and ordered the ES bushings, just to have. It'll be a week before they get here and that's about the time I'll start working on the car.

Still open to better bushings if someone can recommend!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:34 AM

Here you go, this is the part number for the SE 97-99 maxima bushings 54613-0E015. I know because I replaced my bushing already from the dealership. I ordered them online through Nissan website and I forgot to enter we and I got the small gle and gxe bushing instead and the reordered the correct one and it was much bigger. I don't think you will find the SE bushing outside besides from the dealership.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima 97 SE
Here you go, this is the part number for the SE 97-99 maxima bushings 54613-0E015. I know because I replaced my bushing already from the dealership. I ordered them online through Nissan website and I forgot to enter we and I got the small gle and gxe bushing instead and the reordered the correct one and it was much bigger. I don't think you will find the SE bushing outside besides from the dealership.
Fantastic! I found some on Amazon from some vendor... I'll hang on to the ES bushings as well just in case these don't work out Really appreciate the info!
Old 03-22-2017, 11:05 AM

I can't find my receipts at home, but as I recall now, the Rock Auto bushings (Beck/Arnley) that said they fit an SE, did not. They did not fit the larger SE front sway bar.
I had the same experience from Rock. I've had lots of problems finding bushings to fit the SE front bar. Right now I have four sets of bushings from (1) Beck, (2) ES, and (1) OEM that all measure approximately 18.5 to 19mm.

I tried to get Rock to take down the Beck bushings from the SE listing because they are just wrong. However, they opted to argue with me and while insisting the bushings are right for the SE. I got tired of arguing and gave up.

So I recently ordered some TRW Automotive JBU1036 bushings from Amazon that are listed as 21mm. However, delivery is projected for mid-April. So it will be a month before I get them to see how they measure up.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:42 PM

The Energy Suspensions Part number: 7.5118G is for the SE model and are for 20mm Sway Bars. Even if your Sway Bar is 21 MM, these aren't Metal and would still give enough to work just fine. ES only makes 20MM bushings for 4th Gens.

The 1999 SE model uses a 20MM Sway Bar and these are a perfect fit. Might be the case for 97 through 99 SE models. I have a 99, so I know these fit mine.

GLE and GXE models use a 19MM Sway Bar. Use Moog if you have either of these, they only make 19MM Bushings. Or OEM, but use the appropriate ones.

See the footnote down the page: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/7.5118