4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Power Antenna probs

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Power Antenna probs

For a while my power antenna would make the noises as if it were lowering/raising the antenna but it would not move. I want to troubleshoot but don't know who to remove the motor. Anyone done this?
Old 03-24-2017, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by RockHillMike
For a while my power antenna would make the noises as if it were lowering/raising the antenna but it would not move. I want to troubleshoot but don't know who to remove the motor. Anyone done this?
you can get to it from the trunk if you take out the carpet on the right wall you might need to take out the jack holder. And if you need to remove the actual antenna i believe you take needle nose and fit them in the 2 holes on the antenna and unscrew it out
Old 03-24-2017, 07:57 PM

You may not have to remove the motor. The antenna has a plastic drive belt at the end. When the motor turns, it pushes and pulls this plastic drive belt and the antenna goes up and down. The plastic drive belt might be broken or some teeth on the belt may have sheared off. You might be to fix it by removing and replacing the antenna.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:58 AM

You may want to check the antenna / sunroof drain drain hose to see if it is clogged. If the metal y-pipe that lets water drain behind the rear wheel, is clogged, it backs up into the antenna motor and causes problems.

Here's a thread about saving your existing antenna before a clogged y-pipe destroys the motor.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ance-tips.html

I've had to replace the antenna mast on (5) of my Nissan products that use the type of motor and mast as our 4th gens. In all cases, the old plastic "gear strip" part of the mast had broken off in the winding wheel. So I had to remove the motor to clean out the broken piece and the winding wheel.

Here’s a video about removing and reinstalling the mast if you are lucky and part of the old mast has not broken off inside the mast cable winding wheel.

How to remove the antenna unit videos.

Here’s a video that covers how to replace a broken mast once you have the antenna motor removed. Opening the motor and the winding wheel start at roughly 6 minutes and 30 seconds into the video.

I’ve bought antenna masts from this place in the past.

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Nissa...01995-2003.htm

If you need a new motor, search the 4th gen forum for Metra. There are multiple threads on using a Metra motor for replacement. Prices vary greatly by online seller – so shop around.

Last edited by CS_AR; 03-25-2017 at 07:07 AM.