4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A/C system refrigerant leak fix season

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 06:43 AM

A/C system refrigerant leak fix season

Recently I had to add a can of 134a refrigerant to A/C systems on both the 98 and 99 models. On both cars I noticed a slight amount of leaking refrigerant when I removed the high and low side caps to recharge the systems. So I tried tightening the Schrader valves. That helped somewhat on the 99 model and seemed to make it worse on the 98.

Since both cars are now old enough to vote and have over 200,000 miles, I know all to well that rubber parts are starting to deteriorate. This includes A/C system Schrader valves.

So working on a 4th gen often reminds me of fixing plumbing issues on an old house. You always seem to find new leaks and such at the most inopportune times. Any little "fix it" project has a way of becoming more than you bargan for. Yesterday afternoon with the A/C system was no exception.

To fix the A/C leak on the 98 model, I had to replace the high and low side Schrader valves.

Luckily Advance Auto carries the kit below that contains the larger valves used by the 98 model.

Part No. 26783

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...rm=valve+tool+

A few years ago I purchased the following A/C valve tool from Advance Auto.

Part No. 59302

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...FQwxaQodvAQB3w

Here comes the more expensive part. It takes a vacuum pump to evacuate the system before a recharge.

Priced in the $89 range.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-...ump-98076.html

And a 134a gauge set.

Priced in the $69 range.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...omotive+guages

So unless you are maintaining a lot of old cars like me, you might be better off providing (or requesting) an A/C service shop replace your aging Schrader valves the next time you need to have refrigerant added. That should keep you from coming back for recharges due to leaking valves.

Sure you can do it yourself, but getting into A/C system repair has an initial setup cost that you need to consider if you plan to do it correctly.

Last edited by CS_AR; 04-30-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:22 PM

And where did you put the old 134a? Balloons? LOL

Hopefully, it was just the schrader valves on both. As you already know at every junction of tubing, evaporator and condenser, there are stale donuts. LOL And then the Compressor. OUCH!

I'm not sure how much a decent quality, top value, leak detector and dye costs. But when your donuts give up the ghost, that will be next!

I'm moving near you! You have all the fun toys! Any good value homes near you? Maybe with a BIG garage?
Old 04-30-2017, 05:35 PM

Did you replace the AC drier next to the condenser? When the AC system gets recharged they recommend replacing the drier.

When the AC compressor pulley bearings wore out last year I installed an aftermarket AC compressor I got at a JY. It looked new and I paid $30. I first tried removing the clutch off the AC compressor but had no luck.

Both schrader valves were fine but I installed new ones when the system got released.

Being the first and only time I recharged an AC system I rented the electric pump and AC manifold gauge set at Autozone. If I decided to buy them I would choose HF also. They are low priced and have good ratings.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by jholley
Did you replace the AC drier next to the condenser? When the AC system gets recharged they recommend replacing the drier.

When the AC compressor pulley bearings wore out last year I installed an aftermarket AC compressor I got at a JY. It looked new and I paid $30. I first tried removing the clutch off the AC compressor but had no luck.

Both schrader valves were fine but I installed new ones when the system got released.

Being the first and only time I recharged an AC system I rented the electric pump and AC manifold gauge set at Autozone. If I decided to buy them I would choose HF also. They are low priced and have good ratings.
There is definitely a trick to removing the clutch on these cars. Roughly 3 years ago, I replaced the clutch on the 99 model with one that I got from a JY. I pulled the compressor, flushed the system, changed the oil, replaced the dryer and a number of o-rings. I don't remember changing the schrader valves at that time. It was one of those late night weekend jobs where the parts store was closed. I wish I had replaced the valves also. I would like to do the same thing for the 98 model at some point in the future. Getting the dryer o-rings in place was a real pain as I recall.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:35 AM

Thanks guys!

Again I've learned some new things here.

When you go to a JY, what do you look for when buying a compressor?

Here, they don't let us in the cars to remove what we want to buy. We take what they've removed and is on a shelf somewhere. They probably bring out the worse stuff first and hope you take it.

Is finding a quality rebuilder an option worth pursuing?

One thing I'm very pleased with about my 99 (4th Gen) is how reliable the AC system has been! My 88 wasn't so good.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
Thanks guys!

Again I've learned some new things here.

When you go to a JY, what do you look for when buying a compressor?

Here, they don't let us in the cars to remove what we want to buy. We take what they've removed and is on a shelf somewhere. They probably bring out the worse stuff first and hope you take it.

Is finding a quality rebuilder an option worth pursuing?

One thing I'm very pleased with about my 99 (4th Gen) is how reliable the AC system has been! My 88 wasn't so good.
Only Pick-a-Part JYs let you remove the parts. It takes more time and tools but it's lower priced and you get to choose which one if there's a high selection.

At my local pick-a-part JY I searched a handful of A32s and decided to remove the one that looked best. I found this aftermarket Ac compressor made by Driveworks.

AdvanceAuto sells them for $289+core+tax so I saved a few hundred pulling off this fairly new compressor. It reached the 80s last Sunday so I turned the AC on for the first time this year and I nearly froze my buns off.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:14 PM

You did quite well! Good for you for nailing someone else's misfortune for that price! Putting a car out to pasture after spending a lot to repair the A/C

I Love HN A/C!

(hard nipples)
Old 05-02-2017, 04:04 AM

^^^ On the self pull it JY. Good deal JH. Actually I purchased a used compressor from wrecked low miles 1996 I30. The clutch turned smoothly, the system was charged so I took a chance on it. When I got it home I found the hose connections on the compressor were different from the 99 model. There was model year change somewhere that prevented me from using the 96 model compressor. So I only used the clutch.

Here's a picture of a Pick-n-Pull where I've purchased the most parts over the years.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:22 PM

I'm moving near you! You have all the fun toys! Any good value homes near you? Maybe with a BIG garage?
I didn't get to answer your post. I could see myself someday living in Winslow AZ. I need a garage like the one in the link below to fix up then install a lift.

http://www.hiltonharris.com/subjects...nslow-bldg.htm
Old 05-04-2017, 01:15 PM

Unfortunately... Link doesn't open for me!

Winslow Eh? Hopefully, that lift will be able to hold a Flat Bed Ford.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:32 PM

You did quite well! Good for you for nailing someone else's misfortune for that price! Putting a car out to pasture after spending a lot to repair the A/C

I Love HN A/C!

(hard nipples)
That happened to me years ago. Put a brand new $300 Denso compressor and dryer on a Camryand spent hours doing it myself and taking it to shops...only for it to be get hit a few weeks later. Fortunently, the insurance paid out enough to buy the Max.

But as for the topic yeah...my condensor was visibly hissing out refrigerant today. I am so pissed. 340,000 miles and only had to top up the a/c once. It's hot as hell and I have a 700 mile trip coming up and the part for cheap takes a few days plus I don't have a place right now to sit and do it. I think some rocks might of punctured it, but the leak seems to be coming from the back or possibly underneath.

****ing semi dump trucks on Interstate 40. That's why I always keep my car bra on. Soon as I take it off, a bunch of rocks come flying.

Last edited by 97_GXE; 05-16-2017 at 11:35 PM.