4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stalled, Barely Start/Ran with Gas Smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 07:58 PM

Stalled, Barely Start/Ran with Gas Smell

Car randomly stalled while idling, started (barely) and was barely running down the street before stalling again and it wouldn't start back up. Smoke was pouring out the tailpipe and the pedal wasn't really doing anything it was like in and out and barely accelerating. Smelled like gas, and wouldn't start back up again after it stalled the second time.

I had the intake manifold off doing spacers, spark plugs (oem ngks), fuel filter (k&n), and injectors (Chinese). I managed to snap one of the inside studs on the lower intake manifold and thought I'd be alright considering I think I went overkill with the rtv. Well the car has been misfiring and it's actually cylinder 4 right by that stud, tried a new coil and it still misfired so I put the old one back.

was gonna go over to where the car is running tomorrow and try to get it running I wanna be as prepared as possible. For now I was planning on trying that other coil, then try an OEM for that injector, I guess then spark plug even though it's new OEM

​​​​
Old 05-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Administrator

My money is on a bad injector(s). It's flooding badly. Even if an injector is new, don't trust it. Diagnose and inspect/test.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:47 PM

When you replaced the injectors, I hope you used new o-rings. Old o-rings can crack and leak.

Pull the spark plugs out and see which ones are black (or even wet) and this will tell you which cylinder.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:02 AM

^ +1

Did you apply motor oil to the O-rings? If not the lower ring can crimp and leak into the LIM while the upper can crimp and leak outside of the cap.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:40 AM
JvG

Originally Posted by jholley
^ +1

Did you apply motor oil to the O-rings? If not the lower ring can crimp and leak into the LIM while the upper can crimp and leak outside of the cap.
Agreed.

Makes sense. I oiled those o rings when I installed my injectors. No issues.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:23 PM

Gotta be the injectors.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:30 AM

^^^ +1 I've always lubricated injector o-rings before installation. No issues.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:28 PM

Car wreaks of gas and there's actually a pretty decent leak from the oil pan area, front 3 injectors seemed dry.

I thought I used a little lube on each one but I don't think I did on the lower o rings. Seems weird to me that I put them in weeks ago and i just got this issue

On the stock injectors a lot came out with broken pintles, tips for avoiding this?
Old 05-09-2017, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Violator
Car wreaks of gas and there's actually a pretty decent leak from the oil pan area, front 3 injectors seemed dry.

I thought I used a little lube on each one but I don't think I did on the lower o rings. Seems weird to me that I put them in weeks ago and i just got this issue

On the stock injectors a lot came out with broken pintles, tips for avoiding this?
Both upper and lower O-rings should be lubricated to get a safe and secure fit into the fuel rail

Since you didn't lubricate them a lower O-ring could of possibly crimped and is now leaking gas into a chamber.

For a quick check remove the spark plugs. A dark and/ or wet plug indicates a leakage.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by jholley
Both upper and lower O-rings should be lubricated to get a safe and secure fit into the fuel rail

Since you didn't lubricate them a lower O-ring could of possibly crimped and is now leaking gas into a chamber.

For a quick check remove the spark plugs. A dark and/ or wet plug indicates a leakage.

Got the fuel rail off last night and the rear middle injectors lower o ring was half squeezed out and the pintle cap was gone.

I'm gonna hopefully get pintle caps and new o rings today if any of the auto stores have them, remove all 6 injectors and reseat them
Old 05-10-2017, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Violator
Got the fuel rail off last night and the rear middle injectors lower o ring was half squeezed out and the pintle cap was gone.

I'm gonna hopefully get pintle caps and new o rings today if any of the auto stores have them, remove all 6 injectors and reseat them
Congrats on solving your issue!

If no local store has them in stock then try this set

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201023507424...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

CS_AR and I have both used these CS Performance injector kits. They're a great fit and I got them delivered within 3 business days of ordering.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:52 AM

To get my injectors securely fit onto the fuel rail I removed the LIM

I installed new gaskets for the LIM and UIM with this Felpro kit MS91241

Here's a thread CS_AR is currently constructing to install and refurbish our injectors

https://maxima.org/forums/test-posts...ml#post9146107