4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Good or Bad idea to get a junkyard A/C condensor?

Old 05-16-2017, 11:42 PM

A/C condenser might be shot as I watched all the refrigerant slowly seep out this afternoon. I can either buy it in store or online, but with some of the other issues I'm fixing, I'm having to go bare bones cheap on it which I've found...but it'll take a few days to arrive.

So thinking if I find something at the yard it'll be a good quick fix. But, living in a humid climate and it being summertime...I'm concerned of rust, bugs, and corrosion inside the condensor. Especially if the system is open. Not to mention unforeseen leaks. I know for sure...I stopped fooling with junkyard compressors. But a condensor seems somewhat easy to get to if it doesn't work out.

Lately I've been having good finds...but don't want to waste my time either.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:25 AM

I would say it is a toss up depending on if you have an air compressor to flush a junkyard one. But then you would have to buy flush so your price point would be about the same.

Just remember there is a change from 95-96 to 97-99. The difference is there is a change in hose end connector coming from the compressor.

I would not worry much about leaks as you can visually inspect and will pull a vacuum. I would be more worried about trash from a shot compressor.

The yard I go to the most does not drain the ac. So if I found a correct year with pressure and could flush I would go that route.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:33 AM

Bad ...
Old 05-17-2017, 09:34 AM

Thanks...yeah I tend to avoid 95-96 as their designs tend to be a bit different. I always have good luck with i30 parts. Better maintained of course, but not always.

The condensor I want to buy says you can't flush because it's a parallel design. I wonder if they are all like that
Old 05-17-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by 97_GXE

The condensor I want to buy says you can't flush because it's a parallel design. I wonder if they are all like that
Not sure but my 95 was hit in the front and had an aftermarket one. I got an oem one from the yard and flushed it. Works great.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:27 PM

Bad idea. I'd rather go aftermarket and pay a couple hundred, but know it's good! Check Ebay, I've seen them hovering around $100!
Old 05-18-2017, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by 97_GXE
So's you have to continue to buy new ones.

It's called "planned obsolescence".
Old 05-18-2017, 09:49 PM

I found a condenser for like $56 brand new. However, only thing I still would have to take everything loose, and the drier and get it vacuumed and recharged. Which conveniently, I can't take the time or cash to do right now.

And it's so hot this week, riding in a car with no a/c I've not done since 2011. It's brutal I almost passed out while driving today. So, I have to take the even cheaper route and find a good r134 with leak sealer. I just don't want to mess up my compressor either.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:28 AM

Chances are if you heard the leak leak sealer will do no good.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:21 AM

Here's an interesting article about parallel condensers below.

https://globalpartsdistributors.word...pressor-fails/
Old 05-19-2017, 11:23 AM

That link doesn't work :-(
But if I could see and hear the leak, then that means the leak sealer won't do any good then? I was able to visible see the gas coming out. I really don't like to use such products considering how cheap it is with aftermarket parts...but Even if it's just something that lasts for a couple weeks until I can get to it.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:34 PM

Chances are the only thing that will last forever is the leak sealer in your ac system. I have 2 years on my junk yard condenser. Again, I would have no issues using one.

Search this Thread